Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Ford vs Ferrari at the end of the HAMB era

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Wow! Loved the interview. I had never seen it before. And it's tough for me to sit still for 22 minutes, but I'm sure glad I did.

2. Recommended reading for anyone really interested* in this subject:
    Cobra- Ferrari Wars 1963 - 1965, Michael L. Shoen
    Original publishing date: 9/4/90 but now available as a second edition.

* You gotta be really interested as this is a $50.00 book. My first edition copy is stored back in its dust-free shipping box.

kidcampbell71, The37Kid and Deuces like this.
  3. PICHER-TAKR

PICHER-TAKR
    from N.CA

My home movies of 66 LeMans..I was a helicopter mechanic in Germany[65-67] supposed to go to ""Nam'.' After waiting over a month for orders,I was sent to Munich.Attended LeMans 1965...very difficult to take pictures in the huge crowd .For 66 I requested a pit balcony ticket /much better vantage point ..slept under a tree...totally worn out,I went back to Paris before the race ended . I contacted FoMoCo before the 50th anniversary celebrations .Ford treated me well, converted footage to frame by frame, edited & added celebrity voice overs..Later, I donated the original footage to The Henry Ford Museum . The ""66""was a peak car experience

4. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Like button is not enough to express how amazing this is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi Joel, weps, 6sally6 and 5 others like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I was worried the thread would get dumped since is isn't HAMB era stuff, but there sure are a few tie ins. Bob

Deuces likes this.
  6. Great video PICHER-TAKR! I love that stuff.

pitman and Deuces like this.
  7. aircap

aircap

Deuces likes this.
  8. Great video PICHER-TAKR - thanks for sharing and what a time it was for you ! Think I was about 10 in 1966 and let me find that 1968 photo.........

Deuces likes this.
  9. SR100

SR100

Cobra- Ferrari Wars is a much better book about the HAMB-era racing, but doesn't have the GT40 stuff. You might ask your local library about getting it through inter-library loan. My old library covered the first $5.00 or so of the shipping cost, so it could even be free.

Tim likes this.
  10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Our "heroes" were all in. We need to be open to the idea that some things never do simply stop, and the ingenuity, spirit and creativity that spawns a style lives on. This might even be taken as the ultimate example of what we here in TJJ land embrace.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Highlander, I remember that Lotus Ford at INDY and GT40 at Le Mans, liked the 289 Cobras too. They were neat "new" cars, had the AMT kits, and saw them live at the NYC Auto Show, but they were the end of my interest in new stuff. Unaffordable new and forever, but it is fun to watch them. Bob

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Jimmy! Is the restored car THE car or a very nice tribute? Bob

loudbang likes this.
  13. The new car is a tribute built by Dan Webb, original was apparently stolen from Phil's parents place and never seen again.

HEMI32, Spoggie and loudbang like this.
  14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I saw it at the GNRS, very nice job, I just like to keep the historic record correct. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I’ll have to wait until it hits the TV, I don’t go to theaters anymore.

arkiehotrods, robracer1 and loudbang like this.
  16. I agree, he is too small.

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  17. Julianosgem

Julianosgem

only took a hundred million american ford dollars to beat a farmer in Italy who used to build tractors.......wooly ding

Jules

18. aircap

aircap

You are referring to Lamborghini, NOT Enzo Ferrari. Did you know that?

HEMI32, weps, Spoggie and 7 others like this.
  19. jimdillon

jimdillon

Saw the movie tonight. I liked it and Damon was pretty decent in his role IMO. The wife liked it and said she could watch it again to get the characters straight. Funny thing with Shelby is the wife and I attended a black tie affair in Detroit and he was standing by himself so my wife went up to him and started talking to him and they started laughing like they were old friends. It gave me the opportunity to go up and talk to him myself. A really good guy and a memorable deal as well. I think the movie is worth it.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF2444.JPG Saw this year old Ford GT in Carmel this past August. Bob

GuyW, weps, Speedwrench and 3 others like this.
  21. Yep....saw it tonight as well.....the characters Ken and his wife kinda stole the show as a couple trying to make it...maybe should get a best supporting actor nod.....knew of the one-two-three finish but not so much about it hurting to be a team player....

Spoggie likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Buddy saw it last night and said it was great, I’ll check it out soon

23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We are scheduled to see it my wife, son, nephews, brother in law and three other couples Saturday at 3:00. Can’t hardly wait!!!

Bones

24. Saw and liked the movie tonight. Wife got pissed when I pointed out the Chevy fuel pump laying on the Ford table to the guy sitting next to us.

*Edit - Not kidding, the Queen and I wore earplugs. Guess we're too old. Theaters play it LOUD.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  25. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Today is my 82nd B Day, and tomorrow night my son, his wife, daughter, and her fiance are taking me to a Thai restaurant and then to the theater to see this movie:cool:Thai food is one of my favorites and this restaurant is owned and run by the Thai wife of one of his co-workers. That and the first visit in years to a movie theater for this movie is going to be a great B Day gift indeed.:)

26. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Maybe he should've used american Chevy dollars and it would've cost only 1/2 to 3/4 that much. :D:p

Dedsoto likes this.
  27. toml24

toml24

I want to see it, but, I have a zero tolerance for CGI Special Effects in auto racing films. Major Production films such as "Grand Prix" and "Le Mans" set the standard for quality films and on the other end "Days of Thunder" and "Driven" are at the other end. Make it real and make it breathtaking.

28. aircap

aircap

Unless you've already seen it, how would you know it has CGI in it?

I saw it tonight, and it's magnificent! Only a few mistakes from the real history I could detect (Enzo never went to LeMans), etc. The cars look real, and the action is real enough. Now I'll wait for the directors cut, reputed to be another 45 minutes longer. Heck, my sister in law liked it - and she's not a racing fan at all.

The37Kid likes this.
  29. I will see the movie. I'm looking forward to it.
    About 5 years ago, I had a first hand, related experience. I was invited to hang at The Texas Mile by a crew member of the record holder team. The "race" is a standing start mile, top speed run. The "car" is a 2006 GT 1000 which is a grandbaby of those mid-60s monsters. They held the Texas record @ 278.2 mph when I was there but didn't quite break their record that weekend. They have broken it many times since then and now hold the world record @ 300.4 mph - standing start mile.
    I'll post a couple of photos but I don't wish to tip this thread into the 'delete bin' so, moderators, delete my post instead if it's a mile too far (pun intended).
    220 cars are allowed to register and run. I did see about a dozen HAMB friendly hot rods in the pack and about the same amount of big-dollar, Italian exotics. The bulk of the entries were O/T American muscle, American V8s.
    DSCN1463.JPG DSCN1466.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    The37Kid likes this.