Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A exellent Product

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by blazedogs, Jun 4, 2019.

1. blazedogs

blazedogs

I use this websight to primarily learn. many knowledgeable people here. Just pushing this product with (no agenda.). On one of the earlier forums there was mention of leaking header,collectors etc which caught my eye. One of the members mentioned ( Permatex ultra copper) to help seal. Well I tried it .I squeezed out a gob on the top of my workbench vise, let it dry & with map gas for a long time tried to soften it and get it off. It never softened and won,t come off ...It will handle a lot of heat and is a very good product... gene

Truck64 and big duece like this.
  2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Permatex too just as a brand, their product line has always seemed to be reliable and provide good value for the money. They make anti-sieze too. Ultra copper is good stuff.

3. I've seen guys use only that for header gaskets, works great.

4. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I'm one of those guys. Haven't bought header or collector gaskets in years.

lothiandon1940 and belair like this.

5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Really? I never would have thunk that... Hmmmm... I will have to try it I suppose

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Believe it or not many (most?) paper gaskets don't ever need any kind of sealer, if the surface is prepared properly, on the other hand products like Ultra Copper and form-a-gasket and the rest are designed to replace the gasket altogether. Says so right on the tube. I didn't have a gasket ready made for a thermostat housing, holds up fine with just a thin skim applied to both sides.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Marcosmadness

Marcosmadness
    from California

I have used the Permatex Ultra Copper on my OT race car for years. It works great and I haven't had an instance where the seal failed (using no gasket). The hardest part is to get the header "buttered up" with the Ultra Copper, installed with the hard to reach header bolts, without making a big mess. I normally get everything together and in place but leave the header bolts slightly loose to let the Ultra Copper start to thicken as it is setting up before I tighten the header bolts. This prevents squeezing all the Ultra Copper out as I torque the header bolts.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. 28 Ford PU

28 Ford PU
    from Upstate NY

No more header gaskets for me either. Just make sure header flanges are clean and flat as possible. Put nice skim coat on both surfaces and be patient let them set at least 3-4 hours before bolting them up. I’ve even left them off till the following day. It’s worked for me ever time.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

used ultra black Permatex for my thermostat housing … dry...
    didn't know about ultra copper... will have to snag a tube... thanks boys.