Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Minnesota Hambers how do you license your 49 and newer cars updated

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Jun 3, 2019.

1. BJR

BJR

I am just getting ready to license my 49 Buick in Minnesota. I have a clean Wisconsin title in my name with a current Wisc. registration. I moved here 2 years ago. What I was wondering is what license plates should I apply for. YOM plates sound cool, are there yearly fees? Collector plates? My 49 has a 472 Cad motor and is chopped 2 1/2", no door handles and nosed and decked. if that makes a difference in the plates I get. I also have a pickup that is my daily driver, with normal Minnesota plates on it. I went to the MN DMV site and read the laws, and am more confused now than before. Any help on what people here in MN have done would be much appreciated. Brian

Chucky likes this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

collector plates and YOM plates have the same rules. you need another car with regular plates that you use as daily transportation. Collector plates are a one time fee and you never have to re new them

lothiandon1940 and BJR like this.
  3. BJR

BJR

So can I buy the collector plates now, and when I find a nice set of YOM plates change to them without paying a small fortune in additional fees?

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

there are limitations to the YOM plates, certain letter and number groups are not allowed because they do not want to duplicate possible future regular plate numbers[​IMG]

lothiandon1940, Chucky and BJR like this.

5. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

If I were you I would find the YOM plates and just register them. There are plenty of plate dealers, guys sell em at swap meets and on ebay. I can't imagine it taking more than a few weeks to find em. The Mnlars system is such a mess that I would hate to even try to collector plate and then YOM. I bet the system is so messed up they can't do it

lothiandon1940 and BJR like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

Thanks a lot for the help, I really appreciate it.

lothiandon1940 and Moriarity like this.
  7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

8. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

One thing I found, living out in the "sticks", it is not nearly as complicated to get plates out here as it is in the cities! My Model A had a Texas Title, my Merc had a Michigan Title, I got a Street Rod plate for the A and a "Personal" plate for the Merc, just walked in, told the young lady what I wanted, paid the price and got what I wanted. With all the Farm vehicles, ATV's, Snowmobiles, Motorsickles that are out here, it's like it's just routine, Business as Usual. Find a little town, stay out of the cities, any County Seat with a DMV will take care of you, worked for me!! Oh, they did tell me that your YOM plates have to be in " Very good shape" so if you find some, they should be really nice or get them Restored before you take them in. Get a pair if you can, I found a super nice plate for my '40, went to get it registered and somebody already had the other one registered!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Hemi Joel and Chucky like this.
  9. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

I agree, my new plates are ugly, but I'm legal!

10. BJR

BJR

After talking to the DMV here is what I found. The plate must have at least one letter and 2, 3, or 4 numbers to even be considered. After the plate number has been checked by the DMV to see if anyone is using that number the DMV then has to check to see if it will interfere with any new plate numbering that has not been released yet.

Black_Sheep likes this.
  11. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

That's Minnesota for you, they already stamped the plates the year they were made, why were they good back then but now they are not?? The plate number for my '65 Plymouth 426 car was 2UB-426. I knew the girl at the DMV and asked her to go through the pile of plates to find the 426, long story short, the rest of the guys in town did the same after I told them what I had done, every guy in town had his engine size on his plates. anyway, the 2UB, if I remember right had something to do with County, and two other designations which my old ass can't remember. look at the plate on my '46, according to the guy I got the car from, his uncle bought the car new and that plate is the original one. I tried to find out if that was true but was told the State only goes back 10 years on DMV records. Didn't mean to ramble on but some of the shit that goes on here is just plain stupid. Good luck BJR, hope you get what your after.

12. BJR

BJR

"That's Minnesota for you, they already stamped the plates the year they were made, why were they good back then but now they are not??"
    The reason given was the numbers on the old plate though not in use now, may conflict with something in the works for some new numbering they may be conjuring up for the future.

Moriarity likes this.
  13. Rick & Jan

Rick & Jan

OK, thanks.

14. BJR

BJR

Well..... I got my 49 Buick title transferred from Wisconsin to Minn with YOM plates on it. It took about 1 hour at the counter with the counter woman and her supervisor. I had the 49 Minn plates, but to connect the 49 plates to my car, they had to call someone "down town" who could go into the flawed MN system and enter the number of my 49 plates into the system so the local DMV could access them. Then the people at my local DMV could connect the plates to my car. So now I have my 49 Buick licensed with YOM collector plates. Ready for BTT50's. Special thanks to Mark Moriarity for his help.

Chucky and Moriarity like this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Cool... glad it worked out for you

BJR and lothiandon1940 like this.