Register now to get rid of these ads!

History E.J. Potter

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by tfeverfred, Jul 12, 2017.

1. clrogers

clrogers

I was stationed at Kincheloe AFB in upper MI from 1965 to 67, not to far from Sault Ste Marie, MI & Canada. I used to go to a little drag strip in Canada to race my motorcycle & he was there one day. He was personable & answered all questions & then got his bike started (it was a Corvette 327 engine), rocked it back on the center stand by the rear wheel, revit up, rocked it forward & took off. The front wheel never touched the ground until he crossed the finish line & where we were by the starting line there was little black molten bit of pieces from his Cadillac rear tire falling from the sky. He sure was crazy but fast.

2. Fulvia

Fulvia

3. Jon Lundberg

Jon Lundberg

Saw EJ make his first drag strip run EVR on "Bloody Mary" at Central Michigan Dragway (now the Mid Michigan Motorplex) at Stanton, MI, in August 1960. He talks about the "uncomplimentary announcer " in his book (that's me). As originally conformed by EJ, in the family barn, it was an accident waiting to happen and I said so. After a few decades, I saw him get on the updated version at the 2007 Super Stock Drag Racing Hall of Fame event at Virginia International Raceway (Dinwiddie, VA) and on his second pass (after a 25-year hiatus) run 160 MPH!
    Quite a guy!

4. Harms Way

Harms Way

The last time I seen E.J. My buddy Clyde and I sprung him from the nursing home he was in, just north of Ithaca Mi..... He wanted to go get a "Rat Burger" (The name he gave any food you could get from a fast food restaurant)..

When we were getting close to Burger King,.. He got excited when he seen a Subway. That was where he wanted to go! .... Subway, Here we come! We make our orders and sat down. EJ said,.. "Yeah this is healthier for us than rat burgers."..
    I look at him and say "EJ, after all the crazy stuff you've done, and all the chances you've taken. Why the sudden interest in eating healthy?"... He gets a crazy grin on his face and says.. "It's never too late to develop healthy habits"...

The world got a little smaller the day EJ crossed the finish line... He was truly one of a kind !

My Pal Clyde, Ownes "Bloody Mary #1" and "Widowmaker #7" (or as EJ refered to them as "The Bookends") The first and last Bikes... He would like both Bikes to stay together, But he feels he needs to find them a new home. (none of us are getting any younger) So,.. If you want to own a part of Hot Rodding history with a TON of related items to EJ and these two historic Bikes,... And your serious,.. PM me and I'll put you in touch with him... (They won't be cheap).

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  5. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]

The full story behind the Wagon, was (as most of his stories) HILARIOUS !,... But 100% true.
    [​IMG]

This is his "Super Slot Car".... I bought the old Ford pick up from EJ that he used to haul the Allison powered generator and cable reels with... many moons ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Geezus, I knew he had an electric car but a generator powered by an Allison I did not!!

loudbang likes this.
  7. I could be mistaken, but I remember a pic of him in Hot Rod magazine going through the traps at 160+, smiling and flashing the peace sign at the photographer. In high school he was one of our heros.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

In the pits taken apart in Arizona

EJ POTTER and EJ.JPG

9. loudbang

loudbang

Found a bunch of photos. Some may have been posted but enjoy a second look.

Double Ugly Twin Allison pulling tractor.

Double Ugly twin Allison pulling tractor.JPG

Jet trike

Jet Trike.JPG

Widow maker at speed

Widow maker at speed.JPG

The man later years

EJ Potter.JPG

Early

EJ Potter1.JPG

EJ Potter2.JPG

Bloody Mary 2009

EJ Potter Bloody mary  2009.JPG

Bloody Mary II engine intake

EJ Potter Bloody mary II intake.JPG

Bloody Mary II

EJ Potter Bloody mary II.JPG

Number 3 on stand

Number3 on stand.JPG

Number 3

Number3.JPG

On Bloody Mary

On bloody Mary.JPG

Widow Maker engine

Widow maker engine.JPG

Widow Maker VI

Widow Maker VI.JPG

10. frank spittle

frank spittle

I can't express how much respect I have for Potter. His courage of climbing on his first Chevy V-8 powered Harley and not knowing if it would kill him says it all.

racer-x, wraymen and loudbang like this.
  11. "Injection is nice, but":cool:......not when your shirt/jacket catches on fire with those roman candle injector stacks:rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I don't watch a lot of T.V., but within the last 2 weeks, I caught some sort of "pickers type" show. This episode included a segment on the purchase of 2 of Potter's V-8 bikes. Maybe someone else caught it also? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

13. raven

raven

I want to build a bike like his soo bad!
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang likes this.
  14. jailbird

jailbird

my uncle raced that guy I believe
    he was on a ford 289 with hillborn injection this bike had some kind of clutch
    If I can find the pic of his bike I will post it
    The last time he raced it for the owner of this bike and after he made his last pass that time the owner decided to ride it back to the pits himself from the end of the track
    something happened and the chain broke and ripped his leg off of something like that its was the last time my Dads brother raced that machine
    cool looking machine some kind of coupler was on this bike (hirth -joy?) I think maybe a hydraulic clutch Ill have yo ask him

15. I must of missed this the first time around.
    I was lucky enough to see him years ago on that home made pulling tractor.
    At the time I did not know it was Mr. Potter but really got a kick seeing that thing out pull all the high dollar sponsored rigs. As it turned out he must of been beating them on a regular basis because he had a room full of Pulling trophies and I was lucky enough get two of the cooler ones. He was damn good at turning an idea into reality using what ever he had available.

16. jailbird

jailbird

a few days ago pickers had those bikes on tv it was so cool thgink they said $45000

Baron and loudbang like this.
  17. koolbeans

koolbeans

I lived in Yipsilanty, Ann Arbor and Adrian when EJ was killin Milan, Detroit, and Bay City.
    What a show and he could ride that monster.
    I doubt there was anyone before him?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. I was too young to see ej do his thing in the 60s. I to was at frank spittles super stock reunion and saw for the first time ej run his bike. Just a amazing feat I wont ever forget. The ss reunions were like going to a magical place were I could see all my heros.

chryslerfan55, wraymen and loudbang like this.
  19. loudbang

loudbang

20. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I saw the "American Pickers" episode a couple of times. What I couldn't believe was that those
    two dolts had never heard of E.J.P. If I'm not mistaken, they purchased two of the bikes along
    with parts and sold them to a motorcycle museum owner. Wait! Here's a clip from the show...

21. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Thanks for the clip...Everyone is right; seeing him run once and for ever in your memory!!

22. loudbang

loudbang

E. J. Potter, the Michigan Madman, lays on the Chevrolet V-8 power.

ej potter E. J. Potter, the.jpg

23. The guy sold it WAY TOO CHEEP!

24. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Saw him on one of his bikes at Irwindale...many moons back.

Mike

25. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

it was interesting to talk to ej , one time when clyde brought him from the nursing home to dave cranes party. he was having trouble with dementia then, but still had a good talk. i had seen him run when i was a kid. the one and only michigan mad man!

26. frank spittle

frank spittle

When I watched his insane runs for the first time in 1964 I didn't think he had long to live. Not in my wildest dreams did I think of him living well into his 70s and dying of Alzheimer's. He was absolutely brilliant proving this is a disease that can affect anyone.

27. loudbang

loudbang

28. loudbang

loudbang

posted by swi66 in the vintage thread

ej swi66.jpg

29. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I'm surprised he could find leathers that fit the size of his balls!

30. I saw him run when I was a kid. I do not recall where, my dad loaded me in the roadster and I fell asleep.

I saw him when he still didn't have a clutch and he just revved it and kicked it off the stand.