Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Howling noise on deceleration ...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baumi, May 31, 2019.

1. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, you are perfectly right of course. But away from home at the side of the road I was in no position to tear into it and repair it properly. I just torqued it down , I didnt even have a torque wrench , just a normal 1/2 " Drive ratchet.If you don't mind I'd like to have your opinion and assistance just like so many times before how to go on once the differential is on my bench in a few days when I'm back home. I think there will be a few things that need replacing. Thank you guys for taking the time for helping me out!

Johnny Gee likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Only Jim get's to do band-aid work along the road and get away with it. :D

427 sleeper likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

band aid work on the road is fine, just think about if you want to be doing it again on another trip or not.

Baumi likes this.
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

This may help when you get a chance to dig into it, if you don't have a factory manual for it. From Motor's Auto Repair Manual, 1957 edition. 20190604_192509.jpg 20190604_192128.jpg

5. squirrel

squirrel

6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Can’t help with the problem, but I’m envious of your trip. My father’s parents were from Zagreb, and Croatia is a place I hope to visit some day. Post more pics if you can.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So here is how the rest of our trip went: After 2 nice in that beautiful little village of Valun we went on the ferry to KRK island. Shortly after we had left the ferry the pinion nut was once more loose enough to make the pinion bottom out against the carrier. So I once more pulled over and torqued down the pinion nut once again. There are a lot of steep and winding little roads and coasting seemed to loosen the nut more quickly than just cruising at a steady speed on the highways or Autobahn.. So we called it quits and drove North to Graz/Austria, to my friend Günter's . When spend the Night at his Place , had a few Beets, Benchracen as always and put the Chevy on his lift to loctite and torque the pinion nut well enough to make it home. The last 300 miles were smooth as they could be. No issues at all.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

David Gersic and guthriesmith like this.
  8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, after coming back home last night I pulled the differential housing to see what was going on. The pinion had not come loose anymore and it turned smooth and easily. The sleeve, the bearing and the yoke are showing some wear, but it seems like not very much. I gave the bearings and the gears a good wash in brake cleaner and I think I will repeat this once or twice and blow dry with compressed air.
    Jim, what do you think? Will a just new sleeve do it? I read a new one is 2.510". I'll measure mine. As for the new nut... The threads are clean and nice. The area on it that's usually supposed to lock is perfectly round and doesn't lock at all anymore. I would punch it a bit and use plenty of loctite if I can't find a new one...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Johnny Gee likes this.
  9. New crush sleeve and find a new nut

Since you have it that far apart I would do bearings as well, the one race doesn’t look very happy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Baumi and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always tend to err on the side of caution. It's all apart, you might as well replace all the bearings, crush sleeve, yoke and pinion nut. It's made it 64 years up until this, with a good freshen up, hopefully it will last another 64 years. JMHO

Sent from my SM-G892A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Baumi likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

@Baumi, here in the states we can get what's called an economy kit which basically only has all pinion related parts along with a new pinion nut. You should have no problem sourcing part's via the internet once your finally home. Good job keeping it alive. :)

Baumi likes this.
  12. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, then that´s what I´m gonna do. I found two almost identical kits on Rockauto. One with Koyo bearings and one with Timkens. I figure Timkens are the way to go, right? The kit also has an new pinion nut.

13. squirrel

squirrel

One other check, assemble the pinion, bearings, sleeve, and yoke. How much room is there between the end of the splines on the pinion, and the surface on the yoke where the washer fits? If there is no clearance here, the yoke is worn too far and won't be tight enough. It's not likely this is the case, but I have seen it happen.

Beware the torque required to crush the crush sleeve....it's a lot, and you will probably need to make a tool to hold the pinion yoke, and use a long bar to tighten the nut.

Have fun!

57 Fargo and Johnny Gee like this.
  14. X-cpe

X-cpe

Buy an extra crush sleeve. That way if you go a little too tight you aren't waiting for another one because you are not supposed to back off on the nut. Once you have the play taken up it doesn't take a whole lot more to crush the sleeve, so sneak up on it.

I had a new pinion nut back off on an O/T truck. Put the old nut on it. Had the bar to hold the flange but no room for a cheater bar on my 3/4" drive. Had my wife working the floor jack and we tightened it 1/12 of a turn at a time. Never had another problem with it.

Baumi and squirrel like this.