Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Driving the Kookie Kar back to 1958

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 12, 2018.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Amazing that Jeffries put one little lick of flame on each door.

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  2. Hey Bob !! Hope you're well, buddy. :) Looks like a different bed though, right ? I think I actually like the first one, better. No dents, dings, or bead line in that one. Smoooooth' daddy-o !! What'd they do ?? --->
    20190602_214530.jpg

ironrodder, Bowtie Coupe and Stogy like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

I think there are smooth side covers for the bed that aren’t shown yet.

Tim_with_a_T, brad2v, HEMI32 and 2 others like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Jim Street version was smooth...Good eye and good question Kid...;)

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Yes, I saw the side covers along with the front frame rail covers a few pages back. I don't want the next two months and a half to race by, but I am looking forward to seeing the car. Bob

ironrodder and Stogy like this.
  6. frank spittle

frank spittle

I have been wondering if anyone has tried to get 85 year old Ed Byrnes to Pebble Beach. That would be the icing on the cake!

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_ec9f20c541fa38be8419a4206b62eb20.png

They would have to make sure he won't be making this entry into Kookie this time around...Ahhh the good ole days eh...:D

I just found a great short video clip giving some fair quality views of the shifter and the rear characters...during some kookie moments...;)...it's dubbed in German, but the video content is still relevant...

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2018/...abowskis-kookie-t-started-the-t-bucket-craze/

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  8. Monday, June 3rd update from Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck's Vintage Color Studio ...

The talented Eric Reyes is pin striping the dash:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (84).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (85).jpg
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (86).jpg

... using an image on his iPhone as a reference:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (87).jpg
    all images are still captures from a video clip on vintagecolorstudio's June 3rd Instagram feed

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  9. frank spittle

frank spittle

As I noted earlier the first season of 77 Sunset Strip is being aired on MeTV and I am recording the episodes. I will keep each episode the Kookie Kar appears in and after the last episode it appears in will document each episode by number and title with the minutes it appears in. I will have that information posted here before Pebble Beach.

10. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

That would be kool ill mention it to roy tomorrow

11. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

The owner wants both sets of tailpipes built, not sure how we are displaying it yet at pebble beech,

12. Tuesday, June 4th update from Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck's Vintage Color Studio ...

Buffed the rims:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (88).jpg

Painted more parts ... Getting to the end ... Still have the motor to paint next week:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (89).JPG
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (90).JPG
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (91).JPG
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (92).JPG
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (93).JPG
    Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (94).JPG
    all images are still captures from video clips on vintagecolorstudio's June 4th Instagram feed​

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  13. Tuesday, June 4th update from Roy Brizio Street Rods ...

Kookie T, now the fun begins (i.e., assembly time):

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (81).jpg
    image from the June 4th Roy Brizio Street Rods Inc Facebook timeline

14. Thanks for clarifying the tailpipe saga. I figured it was a matter of deciding which looked better. I couldn’t make that call. I like them both. I would probably just run different pipes on either side.

15. Wednesday, June 5th update from Darryl @hollenbeck32 Hollenbeck's Vintage Color Studio:

Kookie has left the building.

A huge thank you to Dennis Sayers for all the hard work . Thank you to Eric Reyes for all you do and for your passion in preserving history. Thank you Roy Brizio for trusting in me and my abilities in restoring a great piece of history . Thanks to Brandon Flaner for your knowledge of Kookie and also Mickey Himsl for the phone calls and support . And my buddy Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton for all your research and knowledge.

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (95).JPG
    image from the vintagecolostudio June 5th Instagram feed​

... and Darryl also posted this image in his vintagecolostudio June 5th Instagram Story:

Kookie Kar @ Vintage Color Studio (96).jpg

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    Sancho, brad2v, dana barlow and 8 others like this.
  16. NO! Is there an "unlike" button somewhere? You can't leave us hanging like that! You have to give us a little something. Just a peek. I promise I won't tell anybody.

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think it's on to the next chapter...I hope...this was the paint segment...I think it's back to the Roy Brizio Street Rod Shop for Final assembly that will perhaps yield a few glimpses...Pretty Please...;)

That Skull, me thinks is going under the Turtle Deck...

ironrodder likes this.
  18. Correct (see post #314).

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's going on the shifter.

If you watch @Evel's "Mad Fabricators: The Car That Ate My Brain" video (available for free download or stream via Amazon Prime Video), @Von Franco explains that the skull knob was still installed when he first met with the “77 Sunset Strip” producers ... but they thought it inappropriate, so Norm switched it to a “goofy looking taboo” shift knob (i.e., what @Atwater Mike called the “Natasha" shift knob).

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  19. Wednesday, June 5th update from Roy Brizio Street Rods ...

Parts for the Kookie car are rolling in:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (82).jpg
    image from Dan Aguirre's June 5th post in the Traditional 50s And 60s Styled T Buckets Facebook group​

Jack @jakespeed55 Stratton has been busy assembling the intake:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods - Jack Stratton  - June 7, 2019.jpg
    image from jakespeed60's June 7th Instagram Story​

Time to break in the engine for the Kookie car!:

Kookie Kar @ Roy Brizio Street Rods (83).jpg
    image from Dan Aguirre's June 5th post in the Traditional 50s And 60s Styled T Buckets Facebook group​

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    Torkwrench, catdad49, Sancho and 13 others like this.
  20. jakespeed55

jakespeed55
    from california

The car came with 2 skulls one for the shifter and one under the bed

HEMI32 and Stogy like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That setup was an inspiration for a Hamb T-Shirt...it would be even cooler if this was the actual model for it...

Update...:rolleyes:...right intake different carbs...made me think though...:D

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Jake...there's a lot of history and research involved in pegging the timing of what is being brought back to this restoration...and getting it right is serious business at a professional judging level...

Thanks also to @HEMI32 for his reference to Von Franco mentioning the initial config being the Skull on the Stick and decisions at Direction level being made to change it out...highlighting thoughts of Skulls back in the day to I suppose negative association...

Norm like Ed Roth, Robert Williams and Von Dutch were pretty influential at bringing Creepy, Ghouly, and other Hip Art into the Hotrod/Custom/Race scene...

Interesting times for sure...

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  23. Just a bump BTTT ... 'cuz @Jive-Bomber started this TJJ Blog / H.A.M.B. thread one year ago today! :D

... and a public apology to Jay for hi-jacking his thread with all of the (Facebook / Instagram) restoration progress pics :eek::

24. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I don’t believe an apology is required here. You have done an amazing job with the play by play on the cars reconstruction.

Thanks for all you have posted.

Cliff Ramsdell

25. catdad49

catdad49

Jay may chime in but, I think he's OK with it. I opened an Instagram account to keep track of the updates, but I still would rather view them Here! Thanks for all your efforts, Carp.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of my most favorite threads here was started by another member and I just enjoy the topic so much I've never stopped posting...

I do periodically give him a shout out and thank him in respect for starting such a great topic and thread...he even pops in to add content and shoot the breeze periodically...so I get it.

@Jive-Bomber thanks for starting this most interesting thread...

A shout out to all who are enjoying and contributing to it...;)

I always encourage member participation in threads I start...without it it dies...

I see many great threads fall by the wayside after another member starts another thread with the same topic or micro disects it killing a great thread already started...

What Hemi has done is what more of us should be doing and that is participating with a great topic and complimenting what was and still is a great topic.

Thanks again this thread has rocked right from the beginning...without missing a beat...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    cactus1, jim snow, RodStRace and 9 others like this.
  27. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Well will we continue to recieve updates or?

Stogy likes this.
  28. frank spittle

frank spittle

Jack,
    Any luck getting in touch with Ed Burns?

dana barlow and Stogy like this.
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was just at Roy Brizio's website and it seems it is still at paint stage complete...with no further pics...

There may be another feed or site with more current activity...I have to snoop back a bit for any other sites where updates may happen...

Furthur gleaning produced a FB link with last info added Jun 4

I can only assume everyone is busy thrashing to get this revered Hotrod back together...I'd say updates will happen but even in a critical timeline quality takes time...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019