Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ideal transmission for 364 Buick engine in 36 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I'm getting ready to build a 36 ford coupe and I'm looking for advice on a good manual transmission and the appropriate gear ratio in the diff.
    The engine is a 364 Buick nailhead, and the rear end I will be a Ford 9" (ratio TBD), tires 600-16, 28.5" diameter.
    T5? Strong enough, how about adaptability? Any ideas?
    I plan on using the car long distance but I also want to step on it every once in awhile.
    BTW, I'm not opposed to a non overdrive transmission since that nailhead has enough torque to get the car moving.
    Thanks

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  2. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Check with Modern Driveline in Nampa, ID. They can set you up with what you need.

Chris Casny likes this.
  3. swifty

swifty

For my 401/T5 conversion I used an Offy Nailhead to early Ford adapter then an MEC adapter for early Ford to T5. The MEC adapter can be drilled to suit either Chev or Ford T5 pattern but due to the torque out put of the Nailhead I went with a WC T5 out of a late 90's Mustang. I know it sounds like lots of adapters but my son "donated" the Offy to the project and I went from there. I had originally planned on an ST400 behind the 401 but my chassis with X member did not have enough room for the auto. Krylon32 on here sells the kits for early Ford to T5. I'm running a Champ QC so axle ratio is not a problem. Not yet running so can't comment on suitability. Bendtsen may make a kit which is simpler, I got a kit for the ST400 to early 401 from him but the hi-torque starter is all ,I'm using now.

Chris Casny likes this.
  4. no55mad

no55mad

Also contact Russ Martin.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

My buddy years ago had a Muncie 4 speed behind a 401 in his 40 Ford. Trans -dapt adapter.

Chris Casny likes this.
  6. I ran a Mustang WC T-5 behind a 59ab mated to an early Bronco 9" in my 5 window. The Bronco rears are 3.50 and the ratio of that trans was way better than the S-10 truck trans. Quick off the line and cruised around 2000 rpm at 80 mph. I did use the S-10 tailshaft for a better shifter location.

Originally, I had a 324 Olds with a Muncie for that car, but the firewall was going to have to be recessed and the shifter hit the bench seat. Too many compromises I wasn't willing to make...bucket seats, electric fan, etc., so that's why I switched to the flathead.

Chris Casny likes this.