Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where do you hide your emergency entry cables? Shaved handles and trunks

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Roothawg, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Trying to figure out where to hide my emergency cables for the decked trunk lid and the shaved handles on the door? Kinda limited since most are about 8' long.

2. On the floor, right behind the door, for the trunk. Under the hood for the doors. You only need one for the doors. Get your cables made at a shop near an airport, they know how to advise you and they're used to long cables.

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

I just really don't wanna use those old corrugated choke cables..... I was looking at import trunk releases.

4. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Under the hood is my back up. I don't have door poppers on mine. I just reach in the wing vents.

5. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm pondering installing Lincoln door buttons and just adding electric locks. But the trunk is getting smoothed this weekend.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  6. Back when I shaved the doors and deck lid handles on my '39 Ford convertible I had installed a Pontiac Fiero gas door to smooth up the body and I installed a leaver inside the gas door for the rumble seat/trunk area.

I had a waterproof button under the running board almost vertical to the rear edge of the door that rolled the electric window down to reach in and open the door.

I left it like that for a couple of years until the battery died and I hadn't made provisions for a emergency backup.

Needless to say I had some glass damage to get in the car and came to a conclusion door handles are not a bad thing. :D HRP

clem, OLSKOOL57, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  7. mlagusis

mlagusis

I have used small aircraft cable and ran it though some brake line to protect the cable. Having the handle under the hook is a good idea.

Spoggie and Roothawg like this.
  8. I have a manual trunk release (if my electric one poops out) coming through the rear inner fender (guard). I used a piece of PVC coated 1/16" cable , and I just have to remove a wheel skirt, and stick my arm behind the wheel to grab it.

Spoggie and Roothawg like this.
  9. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lincoln door buttons is a kool idea.

mikhett and Roothawg like this.
  10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I helped a buddy build a engine bay cable out of a trans dip stick tube and handle, cable went to the drivers door. Well concealed.

Spoggie, Tim and Roothawg like this.
  11. Crayons

Crayons

This is pretty simple. ..go to your local bike store. They sell black cable sheath that's Teflon lined by the foot. They also sell the braided cable that fits inside (this is for their bycyle brakes ) you can literally tie this combination in a knot and the cable will still slide ...! For the handle, just use round wooden rod, like a lawnmower handle. Mine is located under fender behind front wheel (don't put under hood. ..most have inside release ) and the rear hangs down behind rear wheel in the quarter panel. These cannot be seen. Good luck.

12. Slopok

Slopok

If I told you I'd have ta kill ya!;)

13. For the trunk on Taboo, as the trunk was pancaked the stock latch was flipped 180 and then had a cable pull setup that you could then pull on the licence plate frame a little and it would pop the trunk. as the cable went through a small hole. Worked great till a little kid at a show grabbed the plate and yanked, breaking it.

For just a deck job on the trunk i would maybe look and see if you can flip the latch as well and just run a cable pull you can grab under the bumper. That way you can always get in the trunk and if the battery is relocated then access it. You can also then hide the door cables in the trunk as well.

VANDENPLAS, Tim and Roothawg like this.
  14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

My worry with hidden door handles is if I’m in a bad wreck and the safety folks can’t figure out how to get my doors open. I’ll stick to my Lincoln push buttons. After all, they came stock on the car and confuse most folks anyway!

Spoggie, swade41 and Roothawg like this.
  15. XXL__

XXL__

Don't worry. They'll get your door open...

1000w_q95.jpg

54delray, clem, uncleandy 65 and 3 others like this.
  16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

17. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

I hid mine so well i forgot where i put them. :D

18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pretty close quarters as it shares space with the gas fill, not in place in the photo.

54delray likes this.
  19. How do the Lincoln buttons work, is there an aftermarket kit for them?

20. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have an aviation background so I am a fan of redundancy. I have no door handles with my popper system. There are hidden cable releases for the trunk lid and the driver's door. If that isn't enough, I have battery lugs attached to the frame in the back for jumper cables in the event the battery is dead and the cable does not work.

It is a sickness, all right.

54delray, chrisp, Roothawg and 2 others like this.
  21. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

Passenger door has a cable under the hood. Trunk is under the rear bumper. Both cables come from the lawn mower isle in the hardware store. That way you get the operating handle with the cable and the mounting bracket too.

Went for a long time without them until the door closed with the motor running and all the windows up. Wife bailed me out on that one. She didn’t even roll her eyes!

Roothawg likes this.
  22. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

I use a garage door keyed emergency release cable. garage door cable.jpg

23. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep, I am the Quality Manager for a 135 Flight Program. Redundancy is second nature........see what I did there?

24. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is interesting. Never seen anything like this. Can you expound on the original purpose?

54delray likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Garage door.

Unlock the cylinder and pull it, and the cable, to release the garage door opener arm from the track follower, so you can manually open the door.

Go on Amazon:. Secure Universal Garage Door Opener Emergency Disconnect Release Key Lock Cable

54delray, Atwater Mike and Roothawg like this.
  26. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I leave the wing window unlatched, low tech just like me

Blownfuel, Roothawg and jimgoetz like this.
  27. 34Larry

34Larry

No cables. Trunk handle and solenoids in the doors. Solenoid buttons in the trunk, and on my key fob. Cables??????? Your actually using cables ? As the society ladies say: How quaint.
    (Just flippin ya some shit)

VANDENPLAS and Roothawg like this.
  28. Trunk lid was shaved on my '46 Business Coupe, I ran a pull cable next to the fuel tank filler neck. Just open the gas door and reach in and pull the end of the cable. Shaved hood had the same type of pull cable but it was mounted behind the grille.
    1.jpg
    You can see it in this picture, just below the left headlight.

Spoggie, Roothawg and jimgoetz like this.
  29. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

On my first car at the age of 16 I just used a choke cable to the back package shelf, but that was kind of a pain in the A having to climb into the back seat to open the trunk. Once I mounted it in gas fill door on an early Chevy. Best one was reversing the latch and using a pull rod that was thru the trunk floor just behind behind the back bumper. For the doors I just disabled the vent window latch so I wouldn't lock my self out. I know that wasn't very secure but I also had a lot of convertibles so it was a waste of time to try to lock them anyway.

54delray and Roothawg like this.