Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HEI crossfire GM style distributor cap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 3, 2019.

1. My old beater let me down on the way back home from the All Deuce Run and long story short we limped into Cherryville, N.C. to a Autozone and worked on the car trying to get it running right, at first I thought it might be the electronic module and had them check it out but it checked OK,

My next thought was the coil, took it out and they checked it and it showed I had a problem, the new coil didn't want to fit my old cap, bought a new cap and after everything was back together I realized I had a crossfire cap, it was hot and getting dark and I was beat, I ask the manager if the car would be OK in their lot and Brenda and I get a cap to a motel for the night, he advised against it so I call my pal Dave and he said he was on his way, just before eleven he rolled in with the trailer and we loaded the car, got a couple of rooms shortly after midnight and we arrived at Dave place late morning.

It appears none of the local autopart's places carry the cap so I gotta order one from Jeg's, 30 years ago it seemed to be the hot setup and since it has worked for that lone I am going to stay with it although I thought about just buying some new spark plug wires, the wires that are on the car are less than a year old.

I'm hoping the new cap will solve the problem. HRP

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    3W JOHN and dana barlow like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

I think there's a thread going right now, maybe two of them, about how and why to put an old point distributor back in your engine :)

and I'm still fighting my wife's slightly OT car....it isn't starting like it ought to....

3W JOHN and Moriarity like this.
  3. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Wish I had known that, I have a crossfire cap on the shelf here.

catdad49 and 3W JOHN like this.
  4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I've never seen a module get flaky, they either work or they dont, and usually fail without warning. When you switch the coil out make sure you check the little carbon button between the coil and the rotor button. I had one of those eat my ass once, doing just what you describe, spitting popping etc. Of course I replaced everything else before I discovered that little sucker. Sorry you had trouble, thanks for posting up all the pictures, and remaining upbeat about the whole deal. Good Luck.

Mr48chev, Merlin and 3W JOHN like this.

5. Now you tell me, I ordered a new one last night. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  6. Thanks Harry, I may end up buying it from you in the future, I ordered a new one last night.

Remember you and I praying over a dead module on the Deuce Run several years ago and a good Samaritan stopped to see if he could help and had a brand new distributor in a box, went home and got it and came back and put it in and wouldn't take a dime, just took your old distributor as payment.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  7. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Remember it well.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I carried a spare crossfire with a coil in it plus a module in both deuces after that.

HOTRODPRIMER, catdad49 and 3W JOHN like this.
  9. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Sorry man.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Good idea, I now know you can't pick one up at your local parts house.

BTW, the guy at the Aurozone ran a diagnostic on my module and it checked out good but I said just for my piece of mind run it on a new one and see what it reads, he pulled a new one out of the box and it was bad. HRP

3W JOHN and Merlin like this.
  11. Sorry to learn about your problem, and the fact that it could not be repaired simply because parts were not on the shelf.
    I have stayed with the old technology, points, as well, but I did add a Delts CD ignition module back in 1973. This cuts point wear by a factor of 100, so point wear is virtually non existent. The only ignition maintenance required, is to remove the oxide on the points, lube the fibre actuator, oil the distributor, and keep the wiring in good condition.
    The CD unit is good and reliable on the street, and has a switch to bypass the module in the unlikely event it should die. It only happened once, and it was the SCR, a type of transister, which I replaced with a higher amperage rated unit.
    No other problem, and I have been running it in the truck since 1973. I have five other units, four of them with CD ignition systems, and two with the newer GM HEI. The only maintenance for the GM systems is keeping the connections clean.
    Bob

12. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

That don't surprise me, most parts come from overseas anyway.

13. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I don’t like road side failures either, but normally a GM HEI system is fool proof and trouble free. I had trouble with mine last week but would never think about putting a point distributor in the car. The 455 came with points but put in the HEI when I built the car

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I bet Brenda was asking you why in the heck you hadn’t gotten that AC hooked up yet!

15. I got it working last Tuesday night. HRP

3W JOHN and OLDSMAN like this.
  16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Good deal! Gotta take care of the women folk! I’m kinda partial to that cool air myself!

17. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I wouldn’t be without A/C anymore, and I know Theresa wouldn’t want to go with me if there wasn’t A/C in the car.

18. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

It was probably someone returned a bad one, and was put back into inventory.

19. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I've had that happen before. Last one was a water pump, opened the box before I bought it and there was a greasy old pump inside.

20. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Some stores have policies about returning electronic ignition parts, but an employee easily could have done a switcharoo.

21. Terrible80

Terrible80

Now they want the core back in the new box. I can see how it could end up back in inventory.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3W JOHN, Merlin and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. It felt pretty good, I've owned the car over 30 years and I was only going to install a heater, it was a plus.

I don't like the looks of all the hoses and lines but I never but my dirty engine on display anyway. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  23. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Got it fixed yet?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. No but UPS dropped off the new cap and rotor button this afternoon, I hope to work on the car Saturday. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  25. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

I did a bit of machining on an Olds V8 HEI to make it fit my Buick straight eight because the coil in cap HEI has such a good reputation HOWEVER please note the coil for the points distributor is still in place and the points distributor is in the trunk. I've also had a couple of those not fun stranded on the road events.

Dar, Dog, HEI 003.jpg

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and gas pumper like this.
  26. At first glance it looks odd but if it works why not. HRP

3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why did it fail?

3W JOHN likes this.
  28. To be totally honest, I really don't know if it's the cap but with process of elimination that's what I'm banking on, I have all the parts and I am going to Dave's house where we dropped off the car and work on it tonight. HRP

3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  29. I ordered a new crossfire cap Monday and after getting to Dave's today we did a continuity test and it just showed getting spark to only four plugs,I don't know what happened Saturday but the car just started running rough and steady got worse.

About a hour ago we replaced the old cap with the new Davis crossfire cap and low and behold the car fired up and ran like a champ!.

While replacing the cap and rotor I also replaced the old coil just as a precaution.

I'm sure relieved! HRP

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

Good deal. Hope you bought a spare.

HOTRODPRIMER and 3W JOHN like this.