Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MSD 6a immobiliser switch.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrousnutter, Jun 3, 2019.

1. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Hello all, over in the uk here and am just in the process of fitting an msd 6a to my small block Chevy, I had a hidden immobiliser switch which grounded the coil negative to stop my rod being jacked, does anyone know how to wire this into the msd unit as I’ve googled and hambed the shit out of it and can’t seem to find any reference to fitting a kill switch to an msd,

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks all Jason.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. squirrel

squirrel

You might ground the white wire to immobilize it. That will make it think the points are always closed.

ottoman likes this.
  3. Whatever you have existing won't work. I'd install a 'kill switch' that either interrupts power to the box or disconnects one of the leads from the distributor to the box.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I would have it disconnect (or short together) the pickup coil wires, rather than the output to the coil wires....they send a rather high voltage to the coil primary side on those.

But still, try the white wire, it would be very easy to do, and I was installing one of those MSD boxes today and reading up on how to wire it, and one guy reported that his car wouldn't run because he accidentally left the white wire loose and it shorted to ground, and disabled the system.

ottoman and nitrousnutter like this.

5. oj

oj

The only wires to the coil should be the ones from the MSD box and do as Squirrel suggested, thats a slick way to do it. Just so you know, the voltage from the MSD box will be 5-600volts, entirely different from your 12v system. You don;t want your tach connected to it either, tach comes from the box.

6. oj

oj

Hmm we posted at the same time, it might get confusing I'll bow out and let Squirrel advise

nitrousnutter likes this.
  7. nitrousnutter

nitrousnutter

Thanks guys yes I see you both singing the same gospel from different pages, makes sense and yes I know the msd kicks out a hell of a punch that’s why I was a little wary to go messing and trying things Thankyou squirrel I’ll try what you said and does make sense
    Also Thankyou OJ much appreciated on the high voltage warnings I don’t have much hair left but prefer it laying flat lol

Thanks to all Jason

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dirty old man likes this.