Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Your favorite vintage shop tool that still gets used.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cliff Ramsdell, May 25, 2019.

1. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I had a friend give me one of those, his friend's grandfather bought it back in 1940. The motor is bad, I need to get it fixed.

loudbang and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  2. Most of them were my great grandfathers or my grandfathers. They look cool on the wall but I'm not afraid to grab one and use it. Also my vice, WWII Army surplus work bench, and my Lincoln stick welder that's as old as I am. 20181129_220854.jpg

3. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I like your brake and shear best along with the fact that the slight overspray everywhere and random method of organization gives your shop a "working " shop look. My shop is "somewhat" organized, and about once a month I have to make an effort to return things to their rightful place. Every time I go to Harbor Freight I get one of the free tape measures. I must have 20 of them.....and half the time I can't find one quickly. I like them better than the expensive ones that I used to pay for.
    I've got an O/A torch just like yours and an old 10 ft sheetmetal brake, some old punches, and a slip roll...and a wooden 16 ft toolbench I built myself 40 yrs ago. I have an old 1/2" electric drill that was already old and well used when I traded for it about 50 years ago. It's pre-battery so you have to plug it in. Its geared down and if you aren't careful it will twist your arms up like a pretzel...but it runs perfect. My old Kellogg compressor bought from a Penske auto center that closed still pumps pretty well too. Converted it to single phase so the motor was new when I started using it. Also have an old Enco mill I bought new and a well used Clausing Lathe that I converted to single phase. They make things fit when they don't fit. DSCN5708.JPG DSCN5707.JPG

Lepus, Cliff Ramsdell and Dave Mc like this.
  4. mkebaird

mkebaird

Favorite wrench, opens to over 2"
    P1030668.JPG

5. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I've got one of those, works good for "adjusting" sheet metal and brackets for a better fit.

Cliff Ramsdell and mkebaird like this.
  6. mkebaird

mkebaird

Exactly, yesterday I was using it to form 4" hoops using 3/4"x1/8" strapping.

7. mlake01

mlake01

My great grandfather’s Trenton anvil, purchased brand new by him in 1910.

And my 1949 Doall Contour vertical bandsaw - I use both of these all the time, and my son will have them in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cliff Ramsdell likes this.
  8. oj

oj

My favorite vintage tool that still works is ME!

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This little ball-peen hammer has been in our family for at least 100 years. My dad, who was born in 1903, referred to it as "Grandpa's Hammer". Other than that, I have no more information, except that it is very handy to have around and I'll bet I use it at least once a week when I'm in town. It has no markings, and I believe that it may be home made.
    IMG_1586.JPG

Cliff Ramsdell and olscrounger like this.
  10. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

A month ago, we finally cleaned out 100% of our two car garage. We needed a change leading to the final home remodeling phase. In replacing our old cabinets with some new ones, we had to box up everything from who knows when in those plentiful drawers and storage boxes. The last time we thought we cleaned out the garage cabinets and drawers, was for a neighborhood garage sale and that was 5 years ago. Time flies and stuff gets added as we moved along.

A lot of stuff was for our granddaughter, a castle here, a two story doll house there, tons of bears, small dolls, Playmobil, Legos, and Play Doh paraphernalia, etc. We invited her over for one last … “Is this ok to store or pass it along to someone else”…stage. We had fun reminiscing about those… “good old days.” We stored the stuff she wanted to keep for future endeavors and donated the rest to the local charity.

But, several of the super, old tools from our original collection of Craftsman Tools from the 1959-60 drag racing days popped up out of a small shoe box. Saving for a rainy day? A 9/16-1/2 boxed wrench, a 3/8-7/16 boxed from 1959-60, were hidden under a wide variety tools from back in those days and some collected over the years. There were a couple of old original open end 9/16 and 5/8 wrenches, too.
    upload_2019-6-4_4-13-2.png
    All of those original Craftsman Tools were given away to our niece’s family last month. So, these ancient additions will fill out their “new” 1959 tool collection we gave them several years ago. Lifetime warranty and all...

Jnaki

But, before we gave them away, I had one last nut and bolt from another small table to tighten and the ½ inch end worked just fine, like back in 1959. “Fine in ‘59…” It gets better with age… Ha!

11. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I have a bunch of stuff that was my grandfather's and my great uncle's. My great uncle ran a little salvage yard in Webster County Missouri, so he had some neat stuff from that line of work. Probably my most prized item from him is my oxygen bottle, which had test date stamps back into the late 40s. Every time I get it filled the guys at the welding supply try to talk me out of it... no chance.

I have a lot of tools that were my grandpa's and I still use many of them. The oldest that I regularly use is probably a 80# anvil at late 1800s, the next is a 1 ton chainfall at 1930s.

I also have a Dake Arbor Press from the Dr Pepper shop in Springfield. My dad worked for Coca Cola/Dr Pepper as a Journeyman and I worked there as a Casual in high school. They were cleaning out the shop and gave me the press in the late 80's and it had been hanging in that shop on the wall since the 60s. Not sure how old it is. It's the 1 series that is designed to mount to the side of the big Dake shop press.

12. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Bullseye , last pic is my Dad @ 83 yrs. using his Bullseye - IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0520.JPG pickin & filing

13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

My favorites would be an oversized Vise Grip brand vise grip about 1 1/2 times as big as a 10WR vise grip that will twist off just about anything and a big old sledge hammer that I cut about 8 inches off the handle that just seems balanced right. It is about 60 years old and tougher than nails

Cliff Ramsdell and RidgeRunner like this.
  14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I have the same shopmaster band saw uses a 78” blade. From early 50’s, found an add for it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

With sledge hammers, mauls, etc stand 'em on their heads in front of you. Cut the handles off at just about ball height, keeps the over strikes down and saves a lot of handles.

Ed

ffr1222k and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My Grandads Sear's Craftman small portible aircomperser. My camera is not working,but this pic is the very same modal,mine dosen't have wheels,but dose have a reg. Love it's art deco design

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  17. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Ah, a museum piece.
    Sorry HRP, it was just a great opportunity.

18. This one is truly vintage, but still works well.

1.jpg 8.jpg

Lepus and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  19. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

Your Kellogg looks loke a 331TV. I absolutely love old Kellogg American compressors. They are workhorses and last forever. As far as my shop, it is a working shop. I do work alone but the building is about 5000 sq. ft. I specialize in metal finished body work with no "Bondo" repairs, just hammer, dolly and shrinking. Any repairs that need filler are done in lead. I also shape and build sheetmetal parts from scratch along with custom painting and body work. Old cars only.

20. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

I have that same tiny hammer! I still use it for light dinging in small spots for body work. The face is really soft though.

21. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

It is essentially getting restored but with a mild 440/727 combo. It is a customer's car that I fixed the rust, metalfinish straightened, and gapped. I am not doing the body and paint though.

22. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I do metal stuff, and then let other guys huff the fumes too.

I DO paint the underbody, interior, and drive line. But that's the extent of it. I don't want blood poisoning like my grandpa had. He was a excellent paint and body guy. He even knew how to do lead work...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. BJR

BJR

My Quincy 2 cylinder air compressor. I bought the compressor as a rebuilt pump and put it on a tank I already had back in 1968 when I was 18. It is still running.

24. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

[​IMG]
    My family heirloom anvil.
    Has been in the family for at least 5 generations that I know of and used often.
    Was split in half more than a century ago by my great grandfather and great great grandfather on the 4th of July. They and other farmers were seeing how high they could blast their anvils with sticks of dynamite. One too many sticks, one too many times and it split in half.
    They were able to pin it back together with plates.
    Will pass it on to one of my nephews when that time comes.

25. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

Wonder if that is where the WB cartoon characters getting smashed by falling anvils came from. Because there actually was a risk of it!
    Now I want to stencil A.C.M.E. on the side of it.

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

My 1946 Westinghouse Railroad Air Brake Compressor....

My Lancastershire saw. (Hack saw) It's hard to date. The same pattern was made from 1750-1950. It could be anywhere from 70 to 270 years old. I think it's somewhere in the middle.

27. 15599049153011969563159.jpg 15599049672431827035661.jpg
    Tap and die set from my great grandfather. Date on the book is 1933. It gets used often.

Early Ironman and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  28. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

That's a steam wrench.
    Those can date to the last Quarter of the 19th Century. They were commonly used to work on boilers and locomotives.
    They are thicker and more robust than a " monkey wrench".

29. mkebaird

mkebaird

Thanks for the info, it is definitely robust!