Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods East Coast roadster style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody1958, Jun 2, 2019.

1. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

I have a 29 model a roadster. I'm wanting to build it with east coast style deep channel cycle fenders on the front and rear and real low to ground. I'm wondering if anyone has some rough estimates on how much I can or will have to z it in the back to make something like car in the pic. How much z in the rear can these cars take. Any thoughts or even pics would be appreciated

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

I know this isn’t a roadster but this car was kicked up about 8” in the rear and three in the front and it was channeled three inches over the frame [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

3. alchemy

alchemy

You can Z it till the crossmember pokes through the decklid. Or you can mock up all your parts, find the "usual" spring height for the spring you will be using, and base your frame on real measurements. There are tons of variables on other people's cars that might not apply to yours. Cheater's measurements will be a good start, but if his spring perches are set differently, or the tire diameter is larger/smaller, or the front axle is dropped more/less will all drastically affect the look.

4. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

5. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

I hear ya there are ALLOT of variables or sure. I'm a little ways from getting started. I just was looking for different setups people are running to kinda get and idea on some measurements. I have a model t rear spring for the back to lower it and out front j have a 5 inch okie Joe axle. And reverse eye spring. I was looking at boiling brothers chassis measurements it helps Also but they are running spring behind axle I'm running spring over axle.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Based on cars you've seen, I'd say pick your wheels and tires first (OA tire diameters (heights), rim diameters and widths, offsets, etc. Then determine a minimum ride height and mock-up your frame or body there. The wheel and tire numbers will give you spindle / axle heights, rim diameters / widths, tread and section widths, etc.. From there you can, for example, determine rear axle housing height (+1.5" over axle height for a 3" tube) and after adding about 4 inches for a snubber and 3 inches of vertical travel, that will give you the height of the rear frame over the rear axle. Once you know this, you can mock-up / calculate where you want the frame to be under the body (channeled or not), working it down under the cab to your minimum ride height. Ultimately, this will give you the amout of Z needed. As for the front end, I'm not sure how to approximate front spring compression / drop, etc., so the best bet for determining the front frame heights would probably be to measure some cars like the one you want to build. Lastly, OA rear axle housing width-wise, hub to hub has to be determined at that point where the body is widest between where you want the rear tires to be. Again, you'll have to have the rear wheels and tires on hand so you can mock-up everything at ride height and from there calculate where you want the wheels to mount so you can finger-in everything to keep the tires from rubbing the body (desired body to tire gap? + wheel width, back spacing, tire section width, diameters, etc.). I'm going thru this now with my A... errrrrr. Or you can buy a frame ready made. LOL. Gary

cody1958 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Speaking of East Coast, what ever happened to that gal's channeled / unchopped 34 coupe build? Is she still driving it? I can't find her build thread. Gary

8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

(Height of top of rear axle + 4") - desired height of bottom of frame at ride height = required rear Z dimension.

9. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

scan0042.jpg
    Frame is not Z'd

cody1958, catdad49, hfh and 3 others like this.
  10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

2229.jpeg kicked up 5" in rear, no channel. 6.50 tires front and rear. Hope this helps

sko_ford and cody1958 like this.