Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 360 info?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jon volk, Jul 22, 2006.

1. I recall a smaller variant of the 390 in Ford leased trucks. It was either a 320 or 330 and the year was around 1970 or so. Someone I knew wound up with a former Hertz truck, it even had a governor on the carb.

deadbeat and Deuces like this.
  2. Yeah, the 330. What a turd. Used a lot in U haul trucks too........my neighbor had a farm truck with one, a six cylinder would have been better in there.

deadbeat and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. sunbeam

sunbeam

When Ford went to the 390 Ford changed the rod length and the piston compression height why both I never understood. To keep parts down the 360 was a 390 block and pistons with a 352 crank and rods leaving the pistons down in the bore and giving it low compression. A 352 piston has a compression height of 1.816 a 390-360 piston 1.775 leaving the 360 piston .041 down compaired to a 352 that is about a full point of compression.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  4. ford must have had a bunch of left over 352 stuff to create that low comp mess

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The 360's during the 70's was really smogified with retarded timing sets and a retarded distributor be sure to 86 them both for an upgrade.

Deuces likes this.
  6. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Too bad they didn't make more of the 1960 352 360 HP motors ;)

Deuces and anthony myrick like this.
  7. My 66 ford F600 has a 330. governered at 60 MPH. certainly not a speed demon. but not a turd. I moved my 14,000 pound D4 cat all over the Ozarks with it. hauled big loads of logs also, we have some real steep grades on ig trail roads where you cant get a run at the hill, never stalled it and it doesn't guzzle gas. A 330 is a small bore long stroke torque engine. Tough and reliable. ran really well on the good gas we had back in the day. The 330 truck exhaust manifolds are a much better flowing manifold than the passenger car ones. they also have a 9 quart oil pan. Don't use the ford any more because I cant keep Brakes on it. I now use a C65 air brake 76 chevy with a 366. I cant tell the 366 is any more powerfull than the 330 was. Its faster but you cant lug it like the ford.

deadbeat, Deuces and town sedan like this.
  8. I aint too certain the rods are not the same as a 390 rod. I once removed the ring ridge and put a 390 crank in a 360. did not even remove the pistons from their bores. and It moved the pistons up in the cyl. We did have the 390 crank turned and used new bearings

town sedan likes this.
  9. finn

finn

How big of a warehouse do you suppose Ford would have had for them to finally use up all of those left over 352 parts you seem to think they had laying around?

The 360 had about an 8- 10 year production run, from 1967 or 1968 or so till the mid to late seventies, when it was replaced by the 351M. 8 years x 100000 engines / year x 8 rods / engine= 6,400,000 leftover rods plus 640,000 leftover crankshafts.

That’s a pretty big warehouse.

The compression ratio of the 360 was about 8.4:1, about the same as the 350 Chevy, at 8.5:1, and slightly higher than the International 345, at 8.2:1.

10. sarcasm I guess
    they replaced one slug with another slug
    on the fords defense, they saved $ by dropping the 352 casting

Last edited: May 31, 2019
    deadbeat and town sedan like this.
  11. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Holy crap! That stock manifold must be one helluva mutha!

12. yes

j-jock and Deuces like this.
  13. Say all the bad shit you want about the 360, I’d take one any day of the week over that turd 351M. Same for the 390 vs the 400. I really like the 351W, but that’s a separate class from the 360.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

62rebel, Old wolf, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  14. Other than the block, that's the single heaviest part of a stock FE...

While an aluminum intake is a nice performance upgrade, it's also a back-saver... LOLOL..

Boneyard51, j-jock, deadbeat and 3 others like this.
  15. We would use an engine crane to pop the CI intakes when working alone.

Deuces and town sedan like this.
  16. town sedan

town sedan

Got to love Ford, an answer for every question. Needed or not.
    How many engines did Ford make with basically the same bore & stroke? I count 5, the 352, 360, 351W, 351C and the 351M. Many of these with years of over lapping production.

As for the 352 it may not have been a fireball, but in stock form it was a decent 100,000+ mile engine.
    All FE engines are good including the big truck FT models.
    -Dave

17. The 352 did not have the same bore & stroke as a 352. the 360 has a larger 4.050 bore a 352 bored .060 is larger displacement and higher compression than a 360.

town sedan likes this.
  18. You missed one, the '58-59 Edsel 361 (same as a 360, but ten years early)… LOL

19. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I had one of those damned M's in a 79 F150 4x4. I never have been able to figure out how an engine could burn so much gas and make so little power.

20. sunbeam

sunbeam

332, 352, 360 edsel 361 all used the 6.54 rod

town sedan and Old wolf like this.
  21. I have a few of those 400 M in the hoard. never liked them. I like a FE almost as much as I like a tin indian mill.

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  22. I use the engine hoist as well for removing the intake manifold. I removed a couple by hand, a two people job, and it was a real bitch. When I was counting FE engines I have in use right now, I forgot to count my O/T 78 Ford F600, so I am presently running a 360, 390, and a 428.
    Bob

town sedan likes this.
  23. Deuces

Deuces

I had to lift one of those cast iron intakes all by myself... It was a bitch!!...:mad::(:mad:

.....and put one back on.... :mad::rolleyes:

town sedan likes this.
  24. My first Ford when I was 16 was a 1966 F-100. The seller told me it was a 390, who knows what it was, but it was an FE for sure. As a 16 year old kid, who lifted weights and played football, I pulled the heads on that old FE to R&R head gaskets. At that point I was working at the local school bus garage and had done a couple of camshaft jobs in 366 Chevys. Those 366 intakes were light compared to that FE monster. Today I would not even consider pulling one without a cherry picker. Hell, I won’t pull heads from a 7.3 Diesel without a picker.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

town sedan and Deuces like this.
  25. Yep today I wouldn't want to wrestle one of those intakes by hand. I did back in the day and never thought nuthin about it. I would pull & install the heads on M farmalls D 4 & D7 cats even a 903 Cummims or 318 Detroit by hand. My back would hurt and I would pay it no mind. However the worst thing was taking jobs operating those big earth movers. no shocks running fast over rough ground. the push cat operator hitting the push block too hard. When I got 60 my back began to really hurt. I quit doing the things that made it hurt and it eventually got better. I just don't lift heavy stuff any more. There are machines and devices to do that and I use them.

26. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one in a pickup in a previous life, long enough to realize I couldn't drive past a gas station without filling it up. Friend of mine had one for a few years, and experienced the same thing. That's what sticks in my mind.

27. Ford eventually went with taller gears. 325's on the stick pickups and 270 on the automatic trucks and that helped fuel economy.

28. town sedan

town sedan

Always wondered what a 400 would be like with 351C 4bbl heads & intake. Someone should do that and report back. Of course it would be off topic and get deleted.
    -Dave

29. I have a 70 351 Cleveland 2 bbl in my hoard. A guy came by with a $V intake & head trying to sell them. He wanted way more than I was willing to spend. The Two BBL clevelands aint bad mills . however I like the Winsor 351 better.

Deuces and town sedan like this.
  30. I have two prolapsed joints in my back, and am lucky enough that the sciatic nerve didn't get pinched. The injuries are my own doing, because I only had two speeds, full speed and repair. For years I had to roll out of bed and move around on my hands and knees until the back would adjust enough so I could stand. It was the exercising that helped save my butt from having the operation. I'll be 76 next month, so I have finally learned to work and play a lot smarter, and use the machines I have to do the heavy lifting.
    Bob

town sedan, Old wolf and Deuces like this.