Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Rear Main seal replacement

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Inked Monkey, May 30, 2019.

1. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Alright I'm getting ready to do a rear main seal on the 59ab in my rpu. Looks like there's some extra seals in this Fel-pro set. I've used the white ones in the past but I wonder if I should use the black? Are they the graphite ones that I've heard about?
    20190530_130204.jpg

2. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

And I know to soak the white ones, but what about the black?

3. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

The black ones are not the graphite type. However in some gasket sets those black seals you have any now becoming the standard seal in the kits. The material is similar to whats used on Y blocks from what I can see. It should work OK with a bit of oil added to the seal surface only do not soak it.
    Ronnieroadster

Inked Monkey likes this.
  4. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

@ronnieroadster Thanks! So are the black ones superior in any way or just different?

5. I'll add that the White ones are considerably shorter than the Black ones if straitened out. They are for the Front of the motor. Meaning timing cover and front pan grove.

Inked Monkey likes this.
  6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I'll try and get the black ones in there. Sneaky Pete tool came in today, just waiting on Macs for the pan gasket.