Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Painting a chrome axle ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48stude, May 30, 2019.

1. 48stude

48stude

I want to paint the web on my chrome dropped SB axle the same color as my car. My plan is to scuff the chrome with a maroon scotchbrite pad and then paint with an adhesion promoter before spraying with an epoxy primer. Do you think this will work okay? Thanks , Bill

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I've found that chrome has to be fairly rough for anything to stay on it for any length of time. I've done it many times in the past and used 80 grit to get it rough enough for good adhesion. I'm thinking scotch brite won't be enough.

da34guy, Slopok and 48stude like this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

I may be wrong but I believe adhesion promoter is used on plastics and other materials rather than metal.

john worden likes this.
  4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Forget that it is chrome. Treat it as if it were bare steel. Sand thoroughly with nothing finer than 400
    A thin coat of primer sealer would probably help adhesion. Under car finishes take a real beating.

dana barlow likes this.

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I've done a couple, masked them first then red scotch-bright. Don't think they were primered and sprayed them with Krylon. The last one was ten years years ago and there isn't any chipping or flaking paint.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    48stude likes this.
  6. Great place for powder coat if you can match the color...

CudaChick1968 likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PAINT CHROME? SACRILEGE! :eek:

8. kursplat

kursplat

here ya go

020066771881.jpg

catdad49 and Dirty Dug like this.
  9. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I have painted several chrome axles. If the web area hasn't been polished, I have masked the axle and just used a new maroon scotch brite. Lightly prime with an epoxy primer, then paint.

10. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

The adhesion promoter will not help. Scotch will not creat enough tooth . I would bead blast etch it then acid etch primer then paint. It will last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

lurker mick and Bearcat_V8 like this.
  11. As above

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Bearcat_V8 likes this.
  12. BigChief

BigChief

I've also had good results from sand blasting chrome then using epoxy primer under the paint.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lurker mick likes this.
  13. Friend just had the unpolished web on his freshly chromed SuperBell axle powder coated. Coater guy said it would stick; guess we will see. Buddy said he wore out his fingers spending about 4 hours peeling the heated and coated tape off in little shreds. Looks good tho.
    IMG_20190529_150312 (Medium).jpg

48stude likes this.
  14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Perhaps the right powder coating tape was not used for the temperature range required.
    https://www.echosupply.com/blog/2016/04/which-tapes-to-use-during-powder-coating

Also, were the instructions for the "easy" removal of the tape followed?

I would guess that the tape should be removed ASAP after powder coating BEFORE it has a chance to harden and bond with the area it covers and the edge of the powder coating. Perhaps you need to use a heat gun that emits enough heat to peel off the tape bunot enough heat to damage the powder coating.
    Again, I don't know the answer but, an experienced powdercoater should know, I would think.

16. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

My method is 220, etch primer then paint. Works so far

17. 48stude

48stude

Thanks for everybody's response. Gives me several options to think about. Bill

18. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think Gearhead Graphics method is the easiest solution.
    Plus, it's cheaper and if you use high quality acrylic paint it will
    be very long lasting and durable.

beater32 likes this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

Related question. Is the powder coat oven temperature high enough to lessen the chance of hydrogen embrittlement? Also does the heating have to be done right after the chrome process or doesn't that matter?
    Chroming a cast axle seems a little shaky to me.

20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

21. I wire wheeled an old chrome axle then painted it, over the years rock chips have happened and the dull chrome is shining through, so it'll need to be rougher than that.

22. It will stick, I've partially coated chrome bits before. One advantage is if you ever want to remove the coating (using a messy chemical stripper), you'll have undamaged plating under it...

23. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's less about grit and more about being thorough. A red scuff pad works but you'll need at least 2 full pads. This is price friendly and works well:

https://www.semproducts.com/product/self-etching-primer/39683

Comes in grey or black. It's not a product that likes to be used heavy. 2 easy conservative coats and either overnight dry and scuff again or wait an hour and shoot right over it. Not like you're gonna drive it 100 MPH on gravel roads, right? Salt spray and snow? I bet not. Enjoy the journey and don't sweat it too much.

48stude likes this.
  24. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Being an electroplater and metal polisher for 35+ years ,I can tell you this .DONT plate any suspension parts on a street driven car, your insurance wont cover you in any accident , if it snaps due to hydrogen embrittlement . Chrome is easily removed with hydrochloric acid . 5 minutes usually .The heavy coating of nickle is removed in a Laybare bath .Think ,plastic trash bin filled with sulfuric acid and half a gallon of glycerine .Hang sheet roofing lead down inside on 2 sides .connect 12v DC cuppla hundred amps to the lead and axle (get the polarity right , now) do it half and half .takes about 20 minutes and Bobs yer uncle . WARNING ! hydrogen gas can explode ,so no sparking .eh

CudaChick1968 likes this.