Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Think I can slap a set of bearings in this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by demian5, May 28, 2019.

?
  1. Yes, good to go

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. No, you gotta do it right

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  1. I, too was trying to comprehend that, my experiences with dropped pickups has always been lack of oil pressure. Sure something didn't happen when you pulled the pan?

Deuces likes this.
  2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

We'll assume you'll at least use plastigauge to check clearances.
    The only stuff I'll use is various "grits" of CROCUS CLOTH. No sandpaper, or any other sanding medium.
    Reason: Since the grit is made of crushed walnut shells, crocus cloth won't take steel off of forged (not too sure about cast cranks, but would guess same deal) crank journals, it will however remove the various soft bearing metals & dirts, leaving a very nice shine. Awhile back, did a lightly scratched (by dirt) stude crank in the car, when I replaced the bearings (for a quick rebearing job & regasketing/sealing job in winter, wasn't expecting ultra-long life - job on dd lasted 4 years, when I quit driving Lark due to rust/rot.) . Didn't remove the scratches, but cleaned bearing surfaces perfectly. It's all I'll use at work in replacing $400USD crank seals in the TK a/c screw compressors(it's also what TK specifies), hard grit = bye-bye. FWIW. Marcus...

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    egads likes this.
  3. demian5

demian5

Good info, now where to get locally...

CGkidd likes this.
  4. demian5

demian5

Where could I pick up crocus cloth and plasti gauge locally in socal?

And is there a grit number for the crocus cloth I need to know?

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

6. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Virtually any Auto Parts supply store of any merit.

I believe crocus cloth is the next step beyond the finest emery and is defined by it’s name.

7. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Oops there are various grits. But any grit is suitable, how fine is fine.

Also, Harbor Freight has a nice boxed assortment of strips on a roller very inexpensive. Easy to use like a shoe shine rag on round surfaces and to lay against a single cut file, overlapping the lead end for flat surfaces.

8. 5window

5window

Can you. More than likely. Should you, no.

9. Well I want to know did you polish the crank a bit and put in the new bearings? Was it a success or a miserable failure?

5window likes this.
  10. demian5

demian5

Blues4U likes this.
  11. demian5

demian5

Gotta get the cloth and plastigauge. I plan on doing this week.
    Im also putting my 1970 C10 back together with a rebuilt motor and trans. This motor is in a 60.
    Oh and swapping motor in my 1979 Glastron CVX 16 SS. Too many projects!
    HELP!

Old wolf likes this.
  12. Be sure and clean the shit outta that crank before anything goes togather,flush out the journal oil holes.

Truckdoctor Andy and Deuces like this.
  13. demian5

demian5

Im only doing the rod bearings...

14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like was said only use emery and crocus cloth to polish the crank

15. I knew a guy had a caterpillar diesel. and wanted to rebuild the engine right. He let a machinist talk him into turning the crank and hard chrome the journals. It was real pretty a work of art. and it took longer to put the engine together than it lasted working in the D7. and then he was broke having borrowed the money to rebuild the engine. That chrome came loose from the journals. Another guy had a used crank setting in a shed. Gave it to them. it was rusty. They cleaned the rust off with fine sandpaper. and went and got the old bearings that they had removed at the start of the engine rebuild. put it together and it ran for many years. A friend got a new NAPA rebuilt short block. 283 bored .040 crank turned .020-.020. and it soon started knocking. NAPA wouldn't honor the warranty because he changed the cam and installed double hump heads. Him and I installed a old used crank cleaned it up and used .002 undersize clevite bearings. and it held up. and he tested it every time he drove it.

Beanscoot and Deuces like this.
  16. Well the rod bearings ride on the crank:rolleyes:

427 sleeper likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

Polish the crank with Crocus clothe...mercy...new bearings...see what happens.

18. demian5

demian5

The pickup on this one was so lose when I put it back in the pump. It only had 5 qts of fresh 10w40 in it when I found the issue.