Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Drag Racing "Back in the Day"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackrat40, May 30, 2019.

1. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Remembering racing in the early 60's this morning. I was happily racing a Chassis Research dragster with a SBC in those days before being called for the Vietnam fun.
    One night, at Green Valley Raceway (between Dallas and Ft. Worth) I was paired up
    in the push start lane with another dragster campaigned by a local racer Paul Davis.
    We were ready to go when Paul noticed my fuel shut off valve leaking and dripping.
    Paul, without speaking, quickly tied a pink shop rag around the valve to absorb and mask
    the leak, knowing that the line crew would have backed me off and not allowed
    me to run with that leak! I don't remember who won that race but probably Paul's car.
    I was just a 22 year old kid with a cobbled together(but fast!) dragster. Mickey's Race Cars (6).JPG Mickey's Race Cars (7).JPG

Attached Files:

2. Sounds like something Paul Davis would do...May he rest in peace...

3. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I ran a Flathead K-88 in the late 60's.

loudbang, blackrat40 and Deuces like this.
  4. Well then there is my avatar, about 1964-65.

loudbang likes this.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I had a 120" WB Scotty Fenn, 1964 built chassis; .040 340 HP 327, cam change, P and P'd 461X heads, Hooker adjustable upswept headers, Edelbrock C-4B intake, 750 Holley DP carburetor, 4500 RPM stall converter, my own built Powerglide (built the engine also) with a steel hub, 5 pack direct clutch, trans-brake, all driving into a 57 Pontiac rear end (open with stock shortened 29 spline axles. I have all kinds of photos, but no way of posting them. Best time at Bremerton Raceway, a 9.23 at 146 MPH. Of my 3 drag cars, this one was the most fun, you had to DRIVE it. The RED that came later was actually pretty boring to drive, smooth as glass and fast, but boring. Car's in Oregon now, and it's for sale; something like $19K!!!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang and deadbeat like this.
  6. deadbeat

deadbeat

Cant get a more genuine photo of the 60's than that @blackrat40 . Vintage F E D, white walls on a single axle trailer and that vintage lawn mower,, way cool. Thank you for your service in Vietnam as well, Cheers

classiccarjack and loudbang like this.