Register now to get rid of these ads!

The LAST LOGGHE ALTERED - restore it or race it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER, Apr 15, 2009.

1. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks Dave. Will we see the "Speed Sport" car soon?

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

We're headed to Thompson tomorrow morning (6/4/14) with the Logghe car.We'll run Wednesday nite and the Gasser Reunion this weekend. Stop by - say 'hi'.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  3. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Greg, Thanks SO MUCH for the fun runs - it was a total BLAST racing a piece of HISTORY like The Last Logghe car! Sorry we forgot to say goodbye - we just went into autopilot. A great weekend made better by racing against you!!!!!!

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Jacin, Thanks for the video!

Dawn Mazi video

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    Sky Six and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

EDIT: MY PHOTOS ARE NO LONGER BEING DISPLAYED SO I JUST GRABBED SOME RANDOM SHOTS AND REPOSTED THEM HERE.

P.S. THE CAR RUNS LIKE A DREAM

orange paint 06.jpg DD Reunion TV promo 2.jpg orange paint 05.jpg

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Calkins likes this.
  6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Just a quick update.

My wife and I took the car down to the Thompson Gasser Reunion and raced it last Wed., Fri., and Saturday. We had a fun time. This may have been the best Thompson Reunion yet. I got to race my friends' '40 Willys. I won on a hole shot. What fun.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  7. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

We raced the Last Logghe at the (now defunct) Detroit Dragway Reunion on 6/13/15. A change in the HS air bleeds from last week netted me a couple of more mph but I am going to pull the head to replace a seeping head gasket. Al Bergler was an "honored guest" at the reunion and he signed the interior of my car on his original tinwork. Also the car is now listed on the Logghe registry of cars as the last altered built at LSC, with me as the original and sole owner.

Calkins likes this.
  8. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Update: We have continued to run The Last Logghe altered periodically. Here is a video of the final round of a recent Inliners race at Kil Kare Dragway in Xenia Ohio. I am running my other "team car" with my neighbor George Fountain doing the driving. He spanked me.

We agreed to split the purse ahead of time and race for a buck. We took a pic in the winner's circle of me handing George a buck. Had a blast.

Next race: September 24, 2016 at Milan Dragway's fall Nostalgia Drags. I will probably run Nostalgia Comp (index-based) class with it.

9. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Upgrading the brakes in preparation for this summers events - the Detroit Dragway Reunion, the Thompson Gasser Reunion, the Milan Dragway Nostalgia Drags. The old Hurst / Airheart brakes get replaced with new Wilwood calipers. Going to run Nostalgia Comp again. Need sure stopping...sorry purists.

brakes 01.jpg brakes 02.jpg

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I ran Nostalgia Comp at the Detroit Dragway Reunion last Saturday. They ran us off half-second indices. On my 10.50 index I ran 10.486, 10.511 (qualified #1), 10.52, 10.55, and in the final I stalled on the line. It was 10:30 at night and I let the motor get too cold. Changes are coming - including air bleeds and new brake buttons.

11. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Today I ran at the 2017 Milan Nostalgia drags, which is becoming a must-see race in this area. They had over fifty gassers alone on Saturday! I was lucky enough to win Nostalgia Comp Eliminator, running a 10.52 (10.50 index) against a SBF Ford FED 8.52 (8.50 index) for a .016 second m.o.v.
    Video to follow soon.

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

13. bobw

bobw

Congratulation, FTF. That sure was a fun video.

I'll be running my 300 Ford 6 HAMB-type dragster at the Fallout in Eau Claire this Friday & Saturday.

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thanks. I'll watch the HAMB thread to see how you did. Take pics - good luck - have FUN.

15. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I ended my 2017 racing season last night in the Last Logghe altered. After my successful outing a couple weeks ago in Nostalgia Comp I decided to enter the monthly Heads Up! night race last night. It was my first time racing at one of these hugely popular Heads Up! series. I entered in the Open Comp class - no electronics, .500 Pro tree, qualify off your reaction time, dial-in assigned for the evening as 1/10 faster than your quickest of two qualifying passes. 71 cars trying for a spot in the 56 car qualified field. On my second pass I had a .007 light, ran a 10.51 (lifting) and that put me in the show at number 12 qualifier with a 10.41 dial-in assigned. Ran dead on 10.41 first round, won a couple of rounds, lost in the third, won back my $50 entry fee. What fun.

I started this thread asking "...restore it or race it?" I know I took some flak from some by deciding to update it to current safety specs and other mods instead of making it a restored, as-purchased original. But in the course of racing it these last few years many folks have thanked me for putting it back on the track and letting them remember what these cars were like. It pleases and surprises me to see how many people remember the names of Ron and Gene Logghe, Chuck Kurzawa, Al Bergler - all craftsmen associated with its construction. Purists love the original inline six.

Post race leak-down and compression checks showed everything good and ready to go next season so it gets winterized and put back in storage 'til spring.

Thanks for following my thread. Stay tuned for more fun next summer.

16. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Next event: 2018 Thompson Gasser Reunion on the first weekend in June. I may take two cars this year if I can convince my driver to bring the Family Truckster.

Any HAMBers going to the Thompson Reunion 2018 (NE Ohio)?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Gotgas like this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Well BUMMER! I got the Last Logghe out of storage and prepped for this weekend's Thompson Reunion race, started it up and all was fine. Then I was going to put water in it to get it ready for its first pass of the 2018 season and water gushed out the bottom of the radiator. I did not get the last 2" of water drained out of it and the freezing temps blew the bottom tank off. Unrepairable. Ordered a replica rad, but it won't be ready until the Detroit Dragway Reunion race in ten days. So I'll run my avatar S/P car instead this weekend. Probably exhibition only passes as they probably won't let me run with the electronics installed.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. loudbang

loudbang

Well that sucks. It's always the unexpected stuff that messes up your plans. :(

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Back in business with a new Superior Radiator They built me an exact duplicate in five days. It does have a tighter fin density and I made a cooling shroud for it. Works OK.

I ran my avatar car at Thompson - runnered up in 1/8 mile class.
    I ran The Last Logghe the following week at the Detroit Dragway Reunion race at Milan. Got one qualitfying pass in and the rest of the weekend got rained out. Here's the rad.

OLD:

radiator old 02.jpg

NEW:

radiator new 01.jpg

Sky Six and loudbang like this.
  20. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

We're headed to the 2019 edition of the Detroit Dragway Reunion race today with The Last Logghe. Stop by this weekend and say "hi". I'll only be racing one car this year - my driver for The Family Truckster has family events planned.

21. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

2019 UPDATE:
    The Detroit Reunion race race was cut short due to rain.

Last Saturday was MDWs "Kickin' It Ole School" race. I was lucky enough to win Nostalgia Comp Eliminator when my opponent red-lighted in the final so I ran it out and did a 10.44 on my 10.50 index. I love this car.
    So did the fans.

Calkins and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I am racing The Last Logghe at the nostalgia drags at Milan this weekend (Fri, Sat, and Sun.) Stop by HAMBers and say 'hi'.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

UPDATE 9/22/19

I wrapped up the nostalgia portion of the 2019 season with a final round appearance on both yesterday's and today's Nostalgia Comp show. Unfortunately I had to settle for runner-up both days. Saturday the final was at 11:30 PM on a dewy, slippery track and I lost lane choice and got stuck on the slippery side of the track where the car got out of shape and I had to lift to regain traction but couldn't run the number. Today I had to run the same Bantam altered that beat me yesterday. He was dialed 8.00; I was 10.50. I had won a quarter final race earlier running a 10.500 on my 10.50 dial, so I figured I could go under. I knew the other driver would try to take the stripe and not lift. I got off the line clean, picked my spot to lift, but ran 10.443 to his 7.978. Lost on a double breakout.

I also had to run my KFT car in the semi-finals both days. Friday we had a few issues to iron out - a leaking core plug on the Logghe altered and idle quality / throttle linkage Gremlins on the KFTruckster. Sorted out in time for Saturdays qualifying runs.

Here's a fun fact. The driver of the quickest car in the field - a BBC seven-second 'T' altered - asked me if my car was the same one that was painted blue many years ago. When I answered 'yes' he recalled watching me run it when as a little tot his dad would take him to the drags.

I feel OLD.
    And YOUNG.
    At the same time.

Calkins, chryslerfan55 and Dean Lowe like this.
  24. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I got the Last Logghe Altered out of winter hiatus and fired it up for the 2020 Detroit Dragway Reunion on July24 and 25. I will run two cars again - the Logghe car and my Family Truckster.
    The DDR is held at Milan Dragway.

On an unrelated note I switched tires on my blue avatar altered from 12 x 32 to 10.5 x 28s. It likes it.
    Yesterday I went six rounds to the finals, ran dead on my dial four times and runner-upped on a red light start. What fun.

Calkins and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. great.............

26. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

UPDATE 7/26/20:
    Yesterday at the Detroit Dragway Reunion race the Last Logghe was running well. With the exception of a rusted out core plug, fixed with a glob of epoxy on a sheet metal screw the weekend was problem free. I'm gonna replace all the freeze plugs with brass ones - years of running straight water has taken its toll.
    I met the son of Chuck Kurzawa, who built the chassis while at LSC. R.I.P. Chuck.
    I qualified #1 and made it to the finals where I ran a 10.53 on a 10.50 index and got absolutely drilled by a FED who ran an 8.51 on his 8.50 index. I had to run my own Frenchtown Family Truckster with my neighbor George wheeling it in the quarter finals. Too bad we were that close on the ladder sheet.

Sigh... once again I'm the bridesmaid. Had loads of fun nevertheless.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    chryslerfan55 and saltflats like this.
  27. Nice showing yesterday..

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER likes this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Thank you sir. Step out from behind the lens to chat next year - or at the September Nostalgia Drags, our next planned outing for the car.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  29. Yes I would have, had my nephews and promised my Sister I’d keep them “socially distanced” they like to stand by the bleach box, and they dig the Gassers and Bantams, so when they called ya guys to the staging lines I told em we could head over there. I also didn’t want to bug ya as you’re getting ready to make a run..I know I always used that time
    time to psych myself up..