Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical When you think your finished with something and have to re-do it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 29, 2019.

1. We recently finished the interior in the old beater and it made a huge difference in comfort and made the car considerably quieter, when we went to Knoxville, Tennessee the first of the month we were at the show and the sky's opened and the bottom fell out and I hastily rolled up the passenger side window.

After the deluge it was warming up and I rolled down the window, well not exactly, the window mechanism went down along with the window track, it seems the window setting tape let go so in preparation for the All Deuce Run this weekend I decided it was time to take everything apart last night and fix the problem, I purchased a new window track from Early Ford V8 thinking the old original was kinda rusty and that might account for the tape not working properly.

So my pal Dave and I started taking the garnish molding, the widow crank & door handle off and removing the door panel, then getting the window mechanism & channel out.

Everything was straight forward until I pulled out the new window channel, it was painfully clear they had sold me the wrong channel, sure enough plain as the nose on your face the sticker said, (1932 Ford 3 window) big difference in a sedan & a 3 window window channel.

So the next plan of attack was to take the original window track back to my shop and sand blast it to remove and scaly rust & dirt, borrowed Daves daily and drove back home and threw the channel in the sand blasting cabinet, hooked up the air line flipped on the compressor and -NOTHING, the compressor never made a noise, I checked the breakers and everything I could think of, I had just used the compressor Saturday. Ship High In Transit! :mad:

I started looking around and found a wire wheel and stuck it in the drill press and proceeded to clean the channel, amazingly enough it did a pretty good job, I loaded up and headed back to Dave's and as I pulled in his drive way it occurred to me I have a small compressor I could have used but when we get in a hurry sometimes we don't think it through.

When I got back Dave had decided to use some 3M window weld, expensive stuff but the guy at the local glass shop says he doesn't use the glass setting tape anymore, he says it use to come in several different thicknesses but now the only make it in a couple of sizes and with the older cars it doesn't seem to work anymore.

So I bought a tube of the black stick gold and we reassembled everything except the garnish molding, the reason being to clean up the excess adhesive after it sets up.

Hopefully this will working, I have been fighting with the passenger glass on the old beater for the last 30 plus years. HRP

2. The story of my life. I have to figure the brake issue on the sedan, and it's painful to even think about it. Meanwhile, broken tractors with fast growing grass makes for a bad day.

3W JOHN, j3harleys and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Anymore, I just plan to have to do things more than once.

Check the pressure switch on your compressor.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Tim like this.
  4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

If I only have to do it twice, I feel very lucky...

Johnny Nitro, Merlin, 3W JOHN and 6 others like this.

5. williebill

williebill

The grass scene in "World's Fastest Indian" comes to mind

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. LAROKE

LAROKE

Third time's the charm for me and I will accept work of my own that I would reject from a professional.

Frankie47, Mahty, 3W JOHN and 3 others like this.
  7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Dad used to say " Never enough time to do it right , Always enough time to do it over "

8. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I think the issue is with the title of the post. Are we ever really finished?

9. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Welcome to my world! It gets worse if you always think it can be better, no mater how good it already is. Especially body work.....
    SPark

jaw22w, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. As they say... "Practice makes perfect!" Or so I tell myself every time I have to re-work something.

11. Slopok

Slopok

Lookin forward to the So What was Wrong with your Compressor thread!;):D:eek::rolleyes:

12. I thought this was SOP. Like the old adage....measure once, fix it twice.

13. Latigo

Latigo

Nope, not me. Always works out great.

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My compressor quit on me. After buying a new motor starter, I discovered it was a burned out breaker. Oh well, I now have a spare motor starter.

I do things over so much I wonder why I did them in the first place. My best laid plans just don't always work out.

15. The reason I suck at body work is my attitude: the longer I have to work on something, the lower my standards sink. I hope you get your compressor fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. Later this afternoon I will make sure the glass is set in the channel and clean the excess 3M off the glass, reinstall the window crank with the spring loaded escutcheon plate, you almost need to be a octopus to push them back, hold it in place and drive the pin back in, gas the old beater up on the way home and be read to head to Charlotte in the morning for The All Deuce Run.

At this point & time the compressor is not a priority issue, I'll worry about that later. HRP

3W JOHN and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

Situations like this is called HOTROD 101...………….

18. I'm on my third set of floorboard panels for my '29AA. I'm getting better each time. Incentive for improvement is, if I EVER get this on the road, I don't want people to see the poor quality of my work and correctly surmise that I have low standards, don't expect to do quality work and will settle for garbage. Also, I'm learning each time I do stuff over. One last thing: When I work so slowly, I've come to expect that I'll never get finished, so therefore I don't feel rushed by some non-existent deadline and have become more patient, thus taking my time to get things closer to right.

19. Terrible80

Terrible80

20. Update, The window rolls up and down with ease, now if only the car would run.

It's like a television series, To be continued! :rolleyes: HRP

21. 3W JOHN

3W JOHN

Most of us are members of the club.

1Nimrod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

On the first 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery, the original look of the 348 powered vehicle was black rims with small center hubcaps. The cost of the 348 in this sedan delivery was too high for my pocketbook. After several weeks, the owner said he would take out the 348 and install a Flathead motor. But, it still had black rims and a small hubcap. I was finally able to buy the red/ orange color, sedan delivery with those black rims.

My friend had a red 1940 2 door sedan that had chrome reversed wheels and against that bright red color, it looked fantastic. But, I did not have enough money for chromed wheels, so I painted the rims silver with blackwall tires. It looked pretty good, but paled against that real chrome wheel set with the bright red paint job of the 2 door sedan. So, it took two days of cruising around to find time to paint those silver rims black, again. I thought it looked good and I was going to keep it silver, but I kept getting several comments about getting some mag wheels or chromed rims for the car.

I had enough money to paint the rims black, put on the small chrome hubcap, and buy some beauty rings for all of the wheels. That satisfied the “locals” until something else came along.
    upload_2019-6-29_4-17-54.png
    The sedan delivery looked really good, plain and simple, but stylish. My pocket book thanked me until next time.

Jnaki

After high school and college, my wife and I purchased another 40 Ford Sedan Delivery, this time with a 327 and A/C, it still needed some work, so we decided what to do first. She said that safety was important to her and wanted some seat belts installed. Not a problem. I went to the Chevy dealer to get some matching tan color one click buckles for the front seats. They came with the safety nuts and bolts with washers. I was so happy they matched the interior that I rushed home and installed them correctly.

Or so I thought. When talking to another hot rodder at a shop, he mentioned that he installed a set on his hot rod sedan. But, he bought extra strong, wider flat washers for the top and bottom of the floor pan. Also, he mentioned that the width/strength of the washers helped with the extreme force put on them in an emergency. Luckily, I had selected a well secured surface of the floor pan below the seats. But, I had to take out all of the mounts and reinstall the wider, thicker washers on top and bottom of the floor board.

Even though the dealer said that the seat belt kit came with the factory approved safety nuts/bolts and washers, the larger/thicker washers looked and felt better after the re-installation. My wife came out to the garage and asked why I was taking out the seat belts again. When I told her, she was very appreciative then and later. She must have thought I was a genius hot rod expert…ha! She still does…YES!!!

23. Slopok

Slopok

I myself somehow seem to keep fixing things til it's broke!o_O

1Nimrod, 3W JOHN, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  24. Slopok, I know what you mean. I'll try to fix something as simple as a header bolt, or window regulator, and by the end of the day, the Rod isn't even driveable. Don't even ASK !:eek:

3W JOHN, 1Nimrod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Slopok

Slopok

That's what I'm talkin' about!:rolleyes:
    My mistake is trying to make it better and stronger than it was originally.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    3W JOHN, 1Nimrod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Reminds me of forgetting to install the throw out bearing in my 40.

27. Muttley

Muttley

If there's anything I hate more than doing something once it's doing it twice.

28. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I do things over and over sometimes, then I read the instructions.
    I have a whole drawer dedicated to heli coils.

29. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This past week, I installed a new rear quarter window in my 57 Chevy. Due to having to order some parts, receiving the wrong ones, having to reorder, etc., it was about 2 weeks between tearing it down and putting it back together.

In order to replace the glass, you must remove the garnish molding and upholstered panel. In order to remove said panel, you must remove the rear seat. In order to remove the rear seat, you must remove the front seat. You get the picture.

I was "almost finished" and needed to reinstall the rear armrest. When I tried to do that, there were no holes for the screw to thread into. WTF? It was then that I realized that I had not reinstalled the metal access panel that allows you to get to the regulator and guides.

I wont repeat what I said but I was ready to burn the damned thing to the ground. After I cooled off, I started thinking about it and decided I COULD remove the garnish molding and side panel without removing all the seats. Fortunately, that worked out. Otherwise, I might still be cussing.

30. Mahty

Mahty

But just think, it always goes faster the second time!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

1Nimrod, 3W JOHN, LAROKE and 2 others like this.