Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Recommendations for blasting cabinet @ $500 budget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, May 29, 2019.

1. looking for some input on cabinets
    Recommendations, warnings
    Good or bad

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I have thought of making a blast cabinet out of an old minivan. Cut holes in the side for the rubber arm things. Use the engine for an air compressor (3 cyls running and 3 pumping air). No?

3. 64_Vette

64_Vette
    from alabama

4. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Unless you block off intake ports on those three cylinders I’d be wary of pumping a air/gas mixture into the blast area. Media blasting generates a lot of static electricity which would lead to a big explosion. Have no idea if your idea would even work.

5. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Harbor freight.

6. I got the Chinese one.
    Hooked up a shop vac to it
    It does ok.

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BigDogSS likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Check the used equipment market, or drunk colleagues.

I got my Trinco DryBlast 36, with dust collector, for a case of beer.

USA made. USA made beer, too.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But seriously, that Barrel Blaster looks pretty trick!

10. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I think you could make something better than you could buy. I looked around a while back and there's a lot of information out there about these things. I never built mine because I wasn't willing to give up the space. I wanted something at least big enough to do a wheel, preferably big enough for a fender.
    Things to look for are a light, vacuum port and access. Some have a little door in the end, others are hinged on the back and the whole top lays back.
    Im presuming you want something permanent. If not you could buy a small cheap one from harbor freight, use those components with a plywood box and some roll plastic sheeting for a larger project.
    I've used several different ones, and like anything else, a nice one is expensive. Good luck.

11. I have a 275 gallon heating oil tank I was going to make a blasting cabinet from. It’s big enough to get a fender or door into. It’s been sitting and waiting for 3 years and I haven’t gotten it anywhere close to a blasting cabinet.
    I could make it (capable) but I can’t (no time).

I thought about getting a cheap shed to make a blasting booth, but I really just need a decent cabinet that won’t make a mess out of the shop.

12. Look at TP Tools. That’s where ours came from, it cost more than $500, but it’s big enough to fit a tailgate or front fender in. I would guess they have smaller ones and less costly ones too.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. IF you buy a Horror Freight one make sure you do the modifications that are shown online
    before you use it. They leak and do not flow media very fast, but are cheap.
    I built my first one out of a dryer box, it worked better than the HF one....

14. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It would be hard to find one with a carburetor, they all have FI since about 1986. Just disconnect the injector, ground the spark plug wire, and connect a hose to the spark plug hole with a ball valve in it.

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Isn't the vacuum system quality more important than the box itself?

16. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well the vacuum system is important, because the set up you use is going to dictate your level of satisfaction. I have been pondering a sand blasting set up as well. I think if you have the space go big or go home. A buddy had a big oil tank like 31Vicky with a hemi is talking about and you could blast some big pieces. Is vacuum was ok but... Another friend has the HF with a 16 gallon vac and it operates good at first. Shop I worked at had a full blown set up but it was a few thousand. I think researching for the best vac system you can afford is the way to go .

Dirty Dug likes this.
  17. slowmotion

slowmotion

I think TP Tools used to sell a kit/accessories for DIYers. Not that far from you, Vic.

18. MantulaMan

MantulaMan

How about a clear box, the legs from some old jeans and a pair of gardening gloves?

Works a treat for what I need![​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Budget36, RICH B, VANDENPLAS and 5 others like this.
  19. finn

finn

Tp tools used to have plans to make a plywood cabinet to use with their gun, pickup tube kit, gloves, etc, At one time the plans were free through the Garage Journal, Ryan’s sister site.

20. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Harbor Freight has a fairly good unit. I bought one, it’s gun isn’t the best, so I replaced it with one from TP Tools. It works like a million bucks after that change

21. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

What are you using for a vacuum set up ?

22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

X2

23. Had the exact same thing, and went through the same time ordeal. It was perfect; size, shape, heavy gauge, legs. Got it cut out for light, gloves and a door, then my work decided to get rid of a big commercial cabinet, so I gave the fuel tank away. Should have kept it! DUH!!

As talented as you are, it would should take about a day. :D

24. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you get one from harbor freight be prepared to replace the light.

25. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

I'd double the budget and buy one of these https://www.tptools.com/USA-940-DLX-Deluxe-Abrasive-Blast-Cabinet,9016.html?b=d*45143 and add a carbide nozzle kit for another 55 bucks. One carbide nozzle will outlast a bucket full of ceramic nozzles.

You definitely want something with foot pedal operated air. Wearing blasting gloves and keeping a gun mounted trigger pulled limits the mobility of the gun as compared to using the hand for nothing but aiming the gun. I cobbled one together from a good cabinet with no gun and a gun with a trigger years ago and it sucked big time.

I've got one of these https://www.zoro.com/econoline-abrasive-blast-cabinet-101696g-a/i/G2466782/ Its about identical in size to the TP unit I linked. The entire top hinges up and is counterbalanced, which is handy. But there's no way its worth twice the price of the TP cabinet. Got it at an auction for around $350 about 15 years ago, but if I had to go out and buy something today, the TP would win hands down.

From personal experience, the dust and grit from a blast cabinet will kill a shop vac in short order. I eventually picked up a small Donaldson bag type dust collector for my Econoline, and its worked trouble free for years. But prior to that, I'd killed two Craftsman vacs in a couple years using the blaster maybe 3-4 hours per week. That the TP unit includes a dust collector is another point in its favor.

A cabinet the size of mine works well for wheels, intake and exhaust manifolds, headers that are fairly compact, or most anything around that size or smaller. Don't be fooled into thinking anything that can be stuffed into the cabinet can be blasted efficiently. Lets say you've got a fender that's got paint and a few rust pits. Its way faster to remove the paint with a DA sander and then just hit the rust pits in the blast cabinet. Trying to do the entire job in the cabinet will find you spending 2/3 of your time trying to wallow the fender around so you can get the gun aimed at the next section. OTOH, for parts that will fit in the cabinet with good access, its the greatest thing since sliced bread.

26. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just use my shop vac for it

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I’ve had mine for 5 or 6 years and it still has the original light

29. 41rodderz