Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chevrolet "Low Life"

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Opel, May 29, 2019.

1. Opel

Opel
    from Germany

Hello Folks,

I want to present my '57 Chevy that arrived in Germany last week. I bought the car on ebay, just knowing that the customizing was probably done in the 80s / 90s. And that one owner name was Gary Wisner at this point of time.

I did some research and member akustom57 was helpful with pointing to Tom Matthew who started the custom build. With help of KKOA I got contact to Gary Wisner and I sent him a letter. He answered via email. This enabled my to put some light on the history of the car, still some questions are not yet answered. Here is what I found out so far:

1st version done by Tom Matthew of Matthew's Garage in 1987 in purple / white paint with 6.5“chopped white vinyl roof, skirts, dummy spot lights, bomb sights in hood filled, twin sunken antennas on rear, moulded grille surround and removed door handles. Lowered 4“ by cut coils front, blocks rear.

2nd version done by ??? in ??? in copper paint with white vinyl roof, seen on a video of the KKOA Sled Scene East from 1992. Owned by Danny Rohrbach.

3rd version done by ??? in ??? in copper paint with black vinyl roof

4th Version bought by Gary Wisner (owner of „Louvers By Wiz“) in 1994 in copper paint with black vinyl roof. Bought from Clyde ????? from Reading, Pennsylvania. Clyde had no garage, car suffered from being outdoors all the time. Gary a dded electric door openers. In the fall 1996 to spring 1997 he did the rest: 53 Merc headlight rims, 175 Louvers in hood (done by himself, layout done by his wife), moulded lake pipe shrouds, Caddy taillights and moulded rear quarter chrome trim, new paint and restyled dash panel with VDO gauges. The dash panel was done with fiberglass cloth and resin, with exhaust tube to house the gauges, then finished with duraglass. It took over a year to get it like he wanted it. Work on it, cut it apart, start over. New wheel covers are 1955 Buick with 1955 Olds accessory spinners.

He attended the Gettysburg Pa show from 1987 until it ended in 2014. The 57 Chevy was shown at 69 different shows and cruise Ins.

„Low Life“ was given that name by his late wife and the etching was done by Kokomo from New Jersey at the KKOA show in Gettysburg PA.

May 2005: Sold to Randolph Haas in Massachusetts for 10.900$. Haas also had no garage he told.

Tom Matthew 1 1987.jpg
    Tom Matthew 2 1987.jpeg

Later
    Tom Matthew 3 owner Danny Rohrbach.jpg

Later (from a KKOA book)
    Gary Wisner 57 Chevy 4dr a p 145 KKOA2.jpg

Today, waiting for brakes overhauling.
    190522_025-sehr klein1.jpg
    190522_026-Sehr klein1.jpg
    190522_030_klein.jpg

Unfortunately, the car suffers some bad sheetmetal repairs. Rivet patches on the rocker inner and outer and also on the rear of the trunk floor. That needs replacement to be street legal in Germany. It will take long because currently I don't have space to do these repairs. Need to build a larger garage first. Future plans are a sheetmetal roof skin instead of the padded top (currently with wire frame), 57 Buick rear window (center piece only) and Lemon Gold paint.

Stogy, Surfcityrocker, Tim and 8 others like this.
  2. Interesting car, very good that you have the history record. Please show a picture of the dash modification.

3. Opel

Opel
    from Germany

The top picture shows the modified dash insert. These three photos came from Gary.
    190326_001 1993.jpg

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  4. Opel

Opel
    from Germany

I plan to replace the modified dash insert by a stock one. I like the stock gauges much more. If somebody has a complete insert with gauges, please let me know.

5. John B

John B

OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  6. Squablow

Squablow

Pretty wild custom, I think you're on the right track with the plans to reskin the roof and add a regular glass rear window. Maybe adding some kind of side molding would look nice, too. Nice you were able to find so much history on the car, that can be rare.

Stogy, OG lil E and Sancho like this.
  7. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You could fabricate some panels for the corners of the rear window area, and install a small rear window, like was used by Derham on early '50's Packards.

8. I hadn't seen the new thread John, but @Opel and I talked via PMs a few months ago passing information back and forth. Glad to see it finally arrived over there and Maik is getting on with the restoration. He sure has done his homework on it's history. I think the car is in good hands with someone who appreciates the fact that the car is a survivor and he genuinely loves this '57.
    I did find a few shots of it on video that I sent him. They are stills from the 1992 Sled Scene East DVD. Not very good quality but you can definitely tell it's the Gary Wisner '57 Chevy. E

Gary Wisner 57 Chevy a SSE92.JPG

Gary Wisner 57 Chevy b SSE92.JPG

Sancho and John B like this.
  9. junkman8888

junkman8888

I'd put door handles back on the car and "suicide" the rear doors

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Oh boy! They say there's a "seat for every butt"; this absolutely proves that. You must have a really ugly butt. I'm really sorry, but this should have never been done to that car. But it'as your car; good luck with it. I am Butch/56sedandeliverey.

belair, wbrw32, brigrat and 1 other person like this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations on getting your new Sled...May I suggest extending the drip rail and adding a small 1/4 window to simulate a 2 Dr look...I feel it might flow better...if your skinning the roof that gives you many options for a back window...;). Look forward to your bring it back in style...

12. 'Mo

'Mo

Surfcityrocker and Stogy like this.
  13. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Get rid of those caddy tail lights and go back to the stainless spears on the trunk, something to that roof, maybe.. I dunno. Its one of a kind, thats for sure

14. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

They put that goofy cloth top on because they lacked the ability to fix the roof in metal. A cop out if you ask me.

IMHO, you can do 1 of 2 tings with the car. Either fix the roof in metal and leave it as a chopped 4 door, which would be fine. Or you could cut the roof off the car entirely, and convert the car to a 2 door hardtop, which will be made easier by the fact that you can find every part you need in the aftermarket.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the car and the journey.

belair likes this.
  15. Opel

Opel
    from Germany

Many people = many ideas. Nevertheless, I like the car as it is (except the padded top) and will not change any detail except the roof and paint color. I like the caddy tail lights, the moulded trim on the rear, the 53 Mercury headlights, everything. I would not like these items in stock condition, it would be a boring custom.

'Mo, OG lil E, Sancho and 3 others like this.
  16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @themoose...it looks like a potential inspiration...I would think the top in smooth shiny red to match the body might also work...

@Opel it's your canvas and you have to finalize the work and your making change yourself...being in Winfield's of Barris's shoes is no walk in the park and when one Photoshop's that is our opportunity based on your input and a little of our own to inspire...cheers...;)...keep us on top of things...

@'Mo Thank You for for your request that got this inspiration rendered...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    'Mo likes this.