Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1937 Dodge Ol Bessy is Coming Home....redux

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sharps40, Oct 5, 2018.

1. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Are you referring to "Plydo"?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Man that’s looking really nice you should be proud of what you are doing for your Dad. I am sure he can’t wait to take her for a ride! Hobo Jim

Sharps40 and classiccarjack like this.
  3. Sharps40

Sharps40

Thanks on color
    Yep movingman. I have a bunch of sheet metal (doors fenders cowl nose hood even l&r rear quarters but no floor) that section of floor rots fast.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  4. Sharps40

Sharps40

Running Boards are from Smoothie Fab, a local NC company. Blue is in place and now to topcoat (a panel, surrounded by the blue) with black bed liner so we can actually step on them getting in and out of the car.

YV1RRms.jpg

5. I think I still have the original toe board from the 1937 Dodge coupe Dad and I are building. We already welded in all new floors and have no use for it. We will be working on it Thursday and I can look in the rafters for it. If your interested in it shoot me a private message.

6. Sharps40

Sharps40

Getting ready to make a road trip next week. First I've seen the car since the final primer coat in Jan 18. Now she's blue, got a suspension and drive line and coming together. Hauling the bling. Spent the morning cleaning and putting the final touches on 80 year old stainless and chrome. Most is in very usable shape and exhibits sufficient shine. A mix of new and old, just like Dad could have done about 60 years ago.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

AndersF likes this.
  7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Sharps40.Looking very good Sir.Dad will be proud.Have a happy,healthy,safe and prosperous New Year.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. Sharps40

Sharps40

Thanks! You to!

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D You are most welcome Sir.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

10. Sharps40

Sharps40

Woo hoo. Parts in the attic. Parts in the crawl space. Parts under the deck. Parts in the shop. Hoods. Doors. Fenders. B pillars. Cowl. Driveshafts. Fender skirts. Radiators. Bumpers. Bumperetts. Rear quarters. Door handles. More trim. Window trim. crank. cam. Head. Block. Points. Dizzys. We got nearly enough to flesh out another sedan and outfit it with a flat 6. dad kept just about everything for 20 odd years. Cant wait to see her Thursday. Itll be my first look in a year !

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  11. Sharps40

Sharps40

12. Sharps40

Sharps40

Good trip up and the car looks grand, dad is pleased and I have left over parts we brougt home to get rid of and another trip up to fetch back the spare cowl, axle/suspension, rear and steering thats no longer necessary.....hmmmmmm......might pay for a hunting trip! Prolly sink it all in the car instead.

Spent time with Dad getting his 47 Truck out of the garage.....oil, water, trans fluid, air in the tires, started it up and it started shooting gas out the top of the fuel pump.....ah well, we'll ride in it next trip!

13. Sharps40

Sharps40

14. Sharps40

Sharps40

Today is the first time we have seen Ol Bessy assembled since she was hit by a drunk way back in 1992. She is looking GRAND! (Even in her first rough assembly.) Hard to believe we are on the final leg of a journey that started in 1957 when Dad bought her for $50 with hopes of one day having a V8 in her. Now she sports a 21st century 315 horse mill and quite soon, all the creature comforts of a modern automobile. (Power steering, independent suspension, power disc brakes, Air Conditioning, Tilt Wheel, 4 speed automatic overdrive and she'll still look just like she did 82 years ago.)

And, I think my home made aluminum grill surround looks pretty good too!

2i7QVLp.jpg 5KOwWxs.jpg 16hpdzf.jpg GP1oq7a.jpg ngaidgL.jpg RMq8Ql0.jpg sSuMCyu.jpg UowvIrS.jpg

David Gersic likes this.
  15. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Looking great.....cant wait to get back on mine.

Sharps40 likes this.
  16. Hey Sharps that’s looking really good! I bet your Dad is really looking forward to the first ride! Hobo Jim

Sharps40 likes this.
  17. Sharps40

Sharps40

You bet he is!!

18. Sharps40

Sharps40

Looks like we are bringing Ol Bessy home, incomplete.

In a nutshell, original owner sold the business then quit his new position in the company as chief of hot rods, abandoning 22 hotrods in progress. To his credit, new owner is working with customers to try to get all of those on track and completed. But, Dad lost $15000 parts and labor funds posted to the businesses accounts earlier this year to finish the car to turn key. That money is now gone (new owner got the name and contacts list and the work, not the accounts).

We are at zero on the accounts with the business and the new owner quotes $39000 to finish the job. A bit frustrating to say the least. I'm sure i can do everything except wire and program the modern engine and OD transmission and if I can't do that i'll simply swap in a carbed crate engine and aftermarket trans controller.

Now I wonder if I'll ever get it done for Dad. At 80 years old and with health issues creeping into his life its hard to hope for that day when I throw him the keys and he drives me around town like we used to when i was just a little kid who opened the windshield even in the winter!

I need to call over to a new builder in Concord NC and see if we can get some help with start, run stop. If we can afford to pay for that amount of heavy lifting, I'll do the rest.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  19. Wow that’s really a rough situation- I hope this works out for you guys. Hobo Jim

20. Sharps40

Sharps40

Yep, Dad will have to work the lost funds by attorney separatly. For now I need to work with Dad and the shop to get the car moved here.

Currently talking with a hot rod shop in Concord NC on the final efforts for start, run, stop. I also have a lead on another shop closer to me so there are multiple options for the heaviest of the lifting left to do.

I can get the car to 99% myself in a few months time as its mostly basic assembly left to do. However, I don't want to mess with that modern motor/tranny's wiring nor the steering connections.

Rather have that ECU programming and suspension safety to a pro.

I'd estimate that with all the parts in hand I could get everything done by Christmas and take dad for a Christmas Day first ride.

We'll see. First to get it home. He's torn up, was talking about parting it out last night. I gotta find a way around that for him.

chryslerfan55 and abe lugo like this.
  21. You guys have come to far for that to happen. If there is anything I can do to help you out shoot me a message. How about calling some friends and having a garage weekend build? I’ve been involved with these everyone has a Great time hanging out and you get a lot of work done just a thought Hobo Jim

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    abe lugo likes this.
  22. Sharps40

Sharps40

Yep, have 3 lines in the water and two are nibbling. We are getting her done. Just talked to Dad on the phone, he's with me, Parting out is not on the board yet. Working to see where the balance between time, cost and home effort will fall. For now, working to arrange shipping to my house, hopefully as early as this week/next week delivery. Once that's completed we can move forward.

23. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

You got this.....

There are a ton of posts here on the HAMB that relate to steering connections. It's a bit intimidating but once you overcome that it's pretty easy.

I will send you a PM regarding the engine.

chryslerfan55 and Sharps40 like this.
  24. Sounds good let’s keep this rolling the finish line is in sight!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Sharps40 likes this.
  25. Sharps40

Sharps40

Dad called. Working the shipment now. Tentative date to load Ol Bessy on the truck is 14 August. Awaiting confirmation from shop owner and trucking company. With any luck, I should have her in my garage sometime around the week of 18 August.

26. Welcome Home! Sounds good keep us posted Hobo Jim

27. Sharps40

Sharps40

Been doing a lot of research. I'm thinking about first three steps in this soon to be garage project. After inventory and bolting up all the sheet metal, I think I am ditching the used modern engine and transmission. Looking at the cost (let alone complexity) of fuel system mods, trans wiring/programming, engine wiring/reprograming, coolant system hose monster, and the list go's on.......I am leaning towards a v8 and trans more closely aligned with my budget and knowledge.....a small block and a th350. The modern stuff would have been wonderful.....if they would have finished the car. Hell Bells, the engine alone needs 40eleven electrical connectors and 2 miles of coolant hose, brains, 6 million lbs of fuel pressure and its so wide, I can't even see where it'll all go..... I'm liking the simplicity and cost of a 600 CFM carb and HEI lots better.

Hell, a Goodwrench engine and TCI trans with converter are less new with warranty than all the mods to get the current motor just to run....let alone fix whatever it needs as a used engine.

Crossed fingers, car might just be in my garage this week. Wed is supposed to be the loading day.

28. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

29. Sounds like a good decision I am running a 350 turbo 350 combo in my 37 Plymouth very reliable and cheap. Hobo Jim

30. Sharps40

Sharps40

Confirmed. Car gets picked up tomorrow. Single car in a box truck, winch on and off. Delivery is the next day, Saturday, to my garage!

chryslerfan55 and KJSR like this.