Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Think I can slap a set of bearings in this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by demian5, May 28, 2019.

?
  1. Yes, good to go

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  2. No, you gotta do it right

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  1. demian5

demian5

Oil pump pickup was in the pan for who know how long. Think i can slap a set of rod bearings in it with any longevity?

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  2. sdluck

sdluck

Polish it .mic it see what it measures. what size is it now? What is it SBC? was it knocking did it have oil pressure?We can't guess

Deuces and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

yes it's a SBC

What you should do depends on a lot of things we don't know. Give a lot more details about the situation, if you want useful answers.

4. sdluck

sdluck

Thank you Squirrel

427 sleeper and Deuces like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would install bearings but not slap them in...you watch too many Saturday morning TV car shows.

Texas Webb and Deuces like this.
  6. if ya dont have the stuff to measure it, polish and plasti-gauge
    the machinist I use doesn't charge to check stuff like that

Deuces likes this.
  7. demian5

demian5

Small block chevy.
    It ran fine and no noises. Oil pressure at 60 when cold, down to 20 when hot. 0 under hard braking...
    Looks like a 10/10 crank.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  8. what do the cam bearings look like?

9. Polish it with fine wet or dry sand paper. install new bearings and plastiguage it. My father had a Ot ford with a 360 FE. He was pulling a loaded fertilizer buggy when the oil light came on. He drove 4 miles home and it was rattling and overheating. Wile he was spreading the fertilizer with his tractor. Our son Chris pulled the pan. the hex drive for the oil pump was twisted in half. He pulled the oil pump and found a small wire clip like holds carb linkage had locked up the oil pump. he freed up the pump cleaned the oil pan and put it back together. no new bearings or anything. and Dad used that truck another 4 years. the oil light flickered at idle and the rear main leaked a small amount. never quit running. No engine honey additives where used just 20W50 Valvoline oil.

10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

That bearing looks more damaged from debri than from lack of lubrication. That journal is pretty ugly. But as Old Wolf posted, you can sometimes get away with things for a long time, it depends on your luck and what you're gonna do with it. I had a Briggs and Stratten in a lawn mower lock up on me one day, I had let the oil level get too low and in the middle of the job it froze up. I used a pair of channel lock pliars on the pulley side of the crankshaft and rocked it back and forth, each time I rocked it it turned a little further, finally it came lose and turned all the way over. I poured in some new oil, started it up and finished the job, and used that mower for years afterward (just kept the oil level up).

If you're broke and you need to get it running on the cheap, or you just want to try it for the fun of it, what the hell, do what Old Wolf posted. And then while you're milking the last miles out of it start looking for a replacement motor.

But really, it should be done right. The crank should be turned.

11. Do the shoelace wet sandpaper trick and hope for the best

427 sleeper, Hombre, LM14 and 2 others like this.
  12. gene-koning

gene-koning

If you really don't care about the motor, sand the crank a little and throw some bearings in there and it will work fine.
    If its a motor you care about, anything short of the full fix is simply not going to work out.
    At least, that is how that stuff works out for me. Gene

13. 6sally6

6sally6

Yeah but.................that was a Ford! They're tough old motors/engines

wet sand it and "slap" another set of bearings in it. Not a race engine...right?
    Maybe some STP in it if "rattles" a little. (I doubt that will happen)
    6sally6

Old wolf and Deuces like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Get a new oil pump also!!!!!
    That's mandatory when ever you swap out bearings... If you have to sand the rod journals, use 3M brand wet er dry 400/600 sandpaper... And a little squirt of wd-40... Also have a bunch of clean lint free rags handy to wipe up the mess you made.... ;)
    End of the lesson.. Let us know how it all worked out for ya....

427 sleeper and Old wolf like this.
  15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

All the suggestions to use sand paper, in the business we always used either emory cloth or crocus cloth for polishing journals, or any kind of shaft that had to be cleaned up. Either one will work much better than sand paper.

Texas Webb, egads, 28dreyer and 3 others like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, but the 3M brand is good stuff!!! Never had a problem polishing journals with the paper..

Old wolf likes this.
  17. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Need to clean the journals REAL GOOD no matter which you use, but remember the sand paper tends to lost 'grit-particles', & you'll need to clean even better if you use SAND-paper!

saltracer219 and Deuces like this.
  18. No. Disaster waiting to happen.

19. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"Get a new oil pump also!!!!!"

What's the reason for needing to replace the oil pump?
    I've replaced bearings in a few engines over the years without changing the oil pump. In my experience they don't wear noticeably and provide specified pressure after replacing the bearings.
    I didn't polish the journals either. I didn't think I could improve them from under the car.
    I did platigauge and verified that my bearing clearances were within specifications.

ottoman likes this.
  20. demian5

demian5

Im thinking ATK 325HP long block for $2300... wonder if I can get engine rebuilt locally in socal cheaper than that?

21. Jokester

Jokester

I'm curious, is the bearing and journal in the pics the best one or the worst one. If it's the worst I'd risk the price of a few bearings and a gasket. Not that much to invest and it may last a long time. If not, then most of us are wrong.

.bjb

22. demian5

demian5

I haven't pulled them all. This is the one closes to the oil pump.

I did weld the pickup back on. Its for someone I'm doing work on their truck. Everything that's been touched on this truck has been messed up and ive had to sort out. It wasn't till I got it in drivable condition that this showed up.

23. demian5

demian5

Going for the tire burner arent we...

427 sleeper likes this.
  24. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Would be best to pull the rest and check them. Could be what looks like scratches may actually be transferred bearing material. Might check it with a piece of scotch-brite and see if it cleans up some before doing any sanding.

Deuces likes this.
  25. demian5

demian5

Ill do that... thanks!

Deuces likes this.
  26. aaggie

aaggie

Maybe it's just me but I can't figure out how it had 60#s of oil pressure with the pickup laying in the pan. Must have had about 10 quarts of oil in it to cover the pump inlet.

Chiss, RICH B, Deuces and 1 other person like this.
  27. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Spend as little as you can put it back together and run it, of course weld the pick up tube to the pump.
    It's a chevy for god sakes it'll run

28. demian5

demian5

Bearings are on the way and ill scotch brite the journals. Worse case, have to rebuild it anyways...

Deuces likes this.
  29. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

SANDPAPER, SCOTCHBRITE!!!

NO NO NO

FINE EMERY PAPER STRIPS, FINISH WITH CROCUS CLOTH STRIPS

Texas Webb, egads, CGkidd and 2 others like this.