Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods If you could design and organize the perfect hotrod event, What would it look like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by curbspeed, May 28, 2019.

1. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm in with driving events.
    HRHC is killer because of that. The community gets behind it too makes it successful.
    Tuscon has quite a winter venue. You have the Pima County Fairgrounds for RV'ers plus the Racetrack for a driving event???. There is LOTS to see in the area. Reliability run thru the Saguaro and Tuscon city parks. There is the downtown scene but this is all spread out....lots of driving Thinking out loud

Larry

j3harleys, curbspeed and woody45 like this.
  2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Ive done a few Roundups over the years... Honestly its a fluff show.... Only reason I go, friends in from out of town, we spend more time around town at different shops or places like top notch than at the show.. Its bad when we would rather walk to swap meet, hang at the show for an hour then off to run around town... But the one thing I hate about ATX is the damn traffic and the people... Honestly I think I listened to the bands there a grand total of 15 minutes over the years... Bands at shows outdoors suck... Indoors shows with a band or 2 is fine...

Cruise in spots like Top notch is on point... they have a band there, but the atmosphere is a lot like going back to the 60s... drive in packed with some killer steel.... Everyone having a good time...

So my ideal would be a 3 day road trip.... cool scenery with stops in multiple towns to experience the charm and dare I say.... "PLASTIC STRAWS"... A rolling car show with stops like local drive ins where everyone has fun. There could be awards last day of the show, only available for those who did the whole trip. Events like hill climb worked into one day of the event... There could be local awards for the towns in which the show hits for the afternoons.. Just to bring more of the local car scene into the show also.... we all know how the guy with the show car never gets on the freeway... I had thought about a week long Tour Of Texas... Everything from trees, to lakes, to desert, to winding rivers, high peaks, twisty roads.... I just don't know how many folks would be onboard with such an event...

Indoor shows with finished rods/customs does sound good... but just a lot of cost to throw an event like that, and be successful....

winduptoy likes this.
  3. Hombre

Hombre

Since we all seem to be just supposing, I would like to see an event very much like Sturgis but for Hot Rods. That is and has always been about the trip and for me that is the deal is the drive. I would like to see it last at least 4 days. To make a deal like that work you would need to find a community that was willing to get behind the whole deal. Just like the town of Sturgis does for scooters.

4. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Have someone with some sort of tranquilizer gun to zap the crybabies that bitch and complain when they don't get a trophy.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I am thinking of going on that one...the World Tour of Texas, this fall. I might be taking my new Hudson.

but it's not your typical traditional hot rod show!

Hombre likes this.
  6. Graystoke

Graystoke

Rodder's Journal Revival

lothiandon1940, curbspeed and Hombre like this.
  7. Essentially just like The Newport Antique Auto Hillclimb...but allowing more hot rod modifications, maybe some later model 50's cars.

chop job likes this.
  8. sounds like folks want a power tour type of show on a smaller scale and without the new cars
    Im in

9. The best thind about a driving show/ tour is ya don’t have to listen to poodle skirt garbage music

And pouting dolls are in the trunk

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  10. Have you seen the average age of attendees(mostly grey hairs), please, no wet t-shirt contests!
    Unless they bring their daughters.

jimgoetz and mgtstumpy like this.
  11. I look good in a wet t- shirt

jimgoetz, arkiehotrods and 56don like this.
  12. I'll have to take your word for it.

13. Here in Norway you have to be on a slippery track (couldn't find any better Word for it) a whole day before you get your drivers licence. In the winter, it has snow and ice on it, but in the summer, they spread some oil and water on the track to simulate slippery winter roads, and you have styrofoam "people" that the teacher can send over the track by remote control to simulate obstacles you have to avoid etc. (This is also required when you upgrade to truck or bus and it's very fun to have a big truck or bus sideways on a track, but not do fun in traffic....)

As most classic cars are not driven in the winter time because of salt and rust problems, very few of the younger people have ever driven a classic car on really slippery roads.

I have attended a charity cruising where we started at an old racing track (primarily for horses, but also speedway and other motorsports), then we had a cruising trip before we went to this slippery track where we could test our cars and skills for a long time, before we went to a car parts dealer where it was an auction to raise money for the local animal welfare club.

I haven't many pictures og this, because I was driving myself, but I found this online:

Rune Waltoft from Norway IMG_4934_resize.jpg

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep it a 3 day event, 1936 & earlier, no rats, & a few good prize drawings.-----Don

curbspeed likes this.
  15. Two days, first day, a poker run, I would say hill climb but we got no hills, then a BBQ & then finish off with dirt drags & a couple bands maybe some fireworks.
    second day, Pancake breakfast, bikini car wash(A.M. we can work something out for you) & a short 2 hr. car show for the community.
    All this at minimal cost to the participants, we're not trying to get rich here!

jimgoetz likes this.
  16. No worries on the wet t-shirt contest. Too many old guys might get an erection that may last more then 4 hours. Don't need dirty old men walking around with boners do we? No bikini car wash stuff either. Tacky to say the least. I want a classy event.

ZZ Top Chop, jim snow and Old-Soul like this.
  17. I wish I could have gone to that. Too far for me.

18. This is what I'm thinking about too. 4 day event.

Hombre and 0NE BAD 51 MERC like this.
  19. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

The HAMB drags and Bonneville do it for me.
    Pete

tractorguy and curbspeed like this.
  20. I go to the Outriders picnic, an all day event in a park setting, free beer, tri tip bar-b-que and limited to 500 cars maybe.....It's the best I've been too........

56don and curbspeed like this.
  21. What does that show cost you to enter?

22. We do a real small version of that in 6 locations but they are only roughly 100 mile drives. Folks seem to like driving including me...

23. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Organization takes a lot of hours of planning and resources. A lot of public information gathering with publicity hounds all in the mix. Sending out the final information is always satisfying when everything comes together. But, for the So Cal hot rod owners and supporters, time is important. If everyone could get a week off of work or take a week off of family commitments, then it could happen with lots of support.

The retired hot rod group is growing larger as the old guys have their cars or are still finishing another project. The young guys have multiple cars to be able to participate, but taking time off from family and work could be a problem.

The suggestions of a weekend event would fit most people’s needs. But, Friday is a work day, Saturday is the full day of events, then half of Sunday is the drive home ready for the Monday morning blues. When there was a weekend event in anything going on up or down the coast, we took off on Thursday night to get there, ready for Friday. Work? Call in sick was the answer…

Even those school vacations on the weekend, like Thanksgiving had location problems. At first, it was take off after the Thursday dinner to get to Baja. Then, it was Fri, Sat only and Sunday was the slog home with tired faces and bodies. Someone suggested that we all leave Wednesday after school to get the full 3 day vacation access to its fullest. Finally, it got so much fun that we started taking off on Monday morning and had M,T,W,TH,F,S for the fun times, as it was really a 3 day sick leave.

Now, school districts are getting wise and allowing the full 9 day vacation time during the Thanksgiving week. Time wise, an all week event would have the schedule for a run up the coast, starting in San Diego’s Mission Bay and moving all along the curvy, coast line, stopping off for lunch at Newport Beach Fashion Island parking area. A dayof wandering around, with plenty of overnight facilities handy.

Jnaki

The coastal tour would be like the Hot Rod Power Tour with planned stops for show and shine, plenty of sightseeing and food. The starting point in San Diego is freeway close from anywhere in So Cal and the freeways/highways 15/10/8 all head West from elsewhere in the USA. (Even Route 66 comes out West.) The coastal drive NORTH through the great beach communities with planned stop overs would fit the bill perfectly.

The whole trip up to San Luis Obispo takes in the best coastal drives that include lonely beach highways to busy traffic lanes through the coastal cities. ( for a lot of So Cal hot rod families, it is a been there, done that… in a day’s drive. 7 HOURS ) But, this time it would be with a bunch of like minded hot rods, couples, and families to enjoy some of the best in California coastal stops and hops. It is approximately 400 miles+- and covers some of the best in So Cal cruising.

Motels, hotels, campgrounds, lakeside rest and relaxation…all part of the TOUR. Some of the So Cal locals have started to gather for the central area cruises (Mt. Baldy, Big Bear, inland valley/mountain drives, etc.) for New Years and other “days off vacations. But, this one would be at least a week’s tour of the coastline.

There are plenty of stopping places large enough for 20 plus hot rods and an overnight in the myriad of local places. The over nights could be planned for places like Newport Beach, Long Beach Shoreline, Santa Monica, Santa Barbara, Morro Bay, San Luis Obispo and end up at Lake Nacimiento. So, everyone would get a small city stop over, a beach side stop, big city stop as well as a combination of the two. Finally ending up at one of the secluded lakes for a country side gathering/camping/barbeque. (sounds like the old hot rod runs from the days a long time ago…)

“Lake Nacimiento is surrounded by 165 miles of scenic shoreline, mountains, canyons, oak and pine forests, and waterfalls perfect for hiking in the afternoon. There is also abundant wildlife for viewing, and glass-like, clean, warm water perfect for water skiing.”

The small stuff is left for the planners, this is just a suggestion, based on years of cruising the coast in plenty of different hot rods and time periods. The coastal drive changes with the times, but it never gets old…It is one great, long cruising adventure, every single time on the road. The gathering spots could be an addition to the coastal tour with events planned for other local hot rodders that could only spend a day or two being involved.

curbspeed likes this.
  24. Thanks for taking the time to write all that. I'm not in California but want the Cal guys to participate. This event will be held in Tucson. High desert country. Lots of beautiful scenery here with great destination locations.

winduptoy and jnaki like this.
  25. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Like Tim said, HRHC is the perfect event!

j3harleys, winduptoy and curbspeed like this.
  26. 25.00? I think......I have a friend in the club and he buys me a ticket......

curbspeed likes this.
  27. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

I like your thinking, Larry. Count me in.

Mike

j3harleys and winduptoy like this.
  28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It would be held on salt. Near a town with lots of clean, cheap, motel rooms. There would be no spectators. Just participants.

Tman, tractorguy, jimmy six and 3 others like this.
  29. This is already on my mind. All the things you mentioned are in the realm of what I'm thinking/ Thanks

winduptoy likes this.
  30. trollst

trollst

Well, I put on a show in a small town, where I have to rely on out of towners to attend. I can tell those of you that have never organized an event, it's a stressful many months long trial by fire. First, you gotta round up enough cash to actually hold the event, in a small town, there isn't a lot of sponsorship money, as you compete with other local events, volunteers to help are a problem, then, procuring prizes is a chore, it's a big undertaking. Appreciate those that put on events for our enjoyment, the bigger the event grows, the tougher the job of putting it on.

curbspeed likes this.