Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Small Block Chevy 12 and two timing tab issues

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by porkchop4464, May 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Yep, read that too.

My SBC is running with about 35* static timing, 20* mechanical advance. That’s where it wants to run, due to the combination of parts I have.

We don’t know what combination of parts the OP has. Neither does he.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Rex_A_Lott likes this.
  2. Some may have missed this. He said the distributor just dropped and the rotor was pointing towards the no. 1 valves..Not necessarily pointing to the no. 1 wire on the cap.:oops:

David Gersic likes this.
  3. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Sleeper,

Static/mechanically, she is at tdc, just that damn mark is at 12. Must be that the damn balancer I ordered from Dorman is a 12 balancer.

4. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Derf, a-derf. Yeah, cause knowing the cam size is crucial for finding TDC.

5. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Sorry all, should have responded sooner.

Had Scouts with my boy and the wife had a road trip planned, so didn't get the piston stop conundrum all wrapped up 'til later.

Anyway, just as I thought, did stop and the line is at TDC on 1, so either gotta get a new balancer with two o'clock mark or measure and re-scribe new line as seen below.

[​IMG]

Rich S. likes this.
  6. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Heck of a lot easier and cheaper to just scribe a new line. I always liked to make a 36 degree mark too. Glad you finally figured this out. Stamp the mark with a number so you dont get confused about which mark is correct, a year from now when you do this again.Good Luck

7. porkchop4464

porkchop4464

Agreed! Now just gotta make sure that that damn line I scribe in is on the money and not, as you noted, mistaken for the damn initial line that started this whole snafu!

Thanks to AAAAAALLLLLLLLLL for the help! Really, I couldn'ta gotten through it all if the good 'ole Hambers did;t chime in wisecrackers included!

Slam that Hammer Down and GO, Rodders!

8. A piston stop test will result in two marks
    Half way between those marks is tdc
    Tape measure or dividers to get half way

9. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

When trying to divide something into 2 or more equal parts, its a lot easier to use a metric tape measure, unless you're a lot better at doing fractions than I am. A "tire tape", the little 1/4" wide tapes we use to measure tire stagger, is flexible and would work good here. In a pinch you can use your wife's cloth sewing tape measure, its plenty flexible too. Good Luck

X-cpe likes this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Instead of measuring and dividing fractions, eyeball estimate the middle of the two marks. Place your tape so that an inch line is in the middle. Now count lines on either side. Adjust the inch line until you count the same number of lines on each side.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

richards69impala likes this.