Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Santa Maria 2017 and 2019

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 50Fraud, Jun 9, 2017.

1. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I'm surprised that nobody has reviewed this year's WCK annual Memorial Day event in Santa Maria, May 26-28. I didn't shoot much, but stayed near my car, having its first SM outing since it was finished. I'll have to show off myself:
    IMG_0592.jpg IMG_0593.jpg IMG_0594.jpg
    Don Dillard, builder, and me. Don's coupe in the first picture. My car looks like a 7/8 scale replica:
    P1020228.jpg
    Won an award for "Top 5 Wild Kustom":
    P1020233.jpg

shortypu, LBCD, Stogy and 13 others like this.
  2. Congratulations, Tony. It's beautiful.

Special Ed likes this.
  3. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, guys. Sancho, I guess I didn't look back far enough.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

4. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Having the pleasure to witness the evolution of this artistic statement, I am pleased to see it shared with others. Congratulations Tony! You've raised the bar.

Stogy, olscrounger and Special Ed like this.
  5. brad2v

brad2v

Looks good, I noticed your avatar change a little while ago and thought "hey it's in paint!"

6. Muttley

Muttley

It seems as though hardly anyone cares since the show moved away from Paso Robles. Years ago there were multiple threads, sometimes with hundreds of photos. The coverage has really gone in the dumper since the change in venue. I went to Santa Maria the first year after the move (2008?) and was pretty underwhelmed, just another fairgrounds show now. The photos in the above posts seem to be proof of that, look how much space there is between the cars, in Paso the park and surrounding streets were jam packed. Good times....................oh, and 50Fraud, your car is beautiful.

Special Ed likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

8. rfraze

rfraze

9. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

There is room to park , because the show area is huge compared to the paso area. I preferred the paso area for the various shops surrounding it, but disliked the bikes, and people who were just killing time there, and could care less about the cars. In Santa Maria since they pay to get in, they are there for the cars or to argue with Penny.

10. sololobo

sololobo

stunning custom, exceptional tasty all around. The award was well deserved. Congrats!!

Stogy likes this.
  11. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I can't agree more...... Paso was more than just parked cars, it was the whole scene, cruising, etc and there was no gate fee.

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks!

13. 32Stoker

32Stoker

50Fraud and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Thanks, Stoker. This thread ran in 2017, or two years ago, although I just returned from the 2019 Santa Maria event. The decline of the show in quality and relevance, as described in Muttley's comments, has continued to a really painful degree. The turnout this year was maybe half what it was in the best of the Santa Maria years, and there were virtually NO high-quality new cars being displayed. Years ago, when the show was still in Paso, you could count on there being maybe a dozen new, radical cars, but no more. I think that this will have been my last trip to Santa Maria.

15. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

I was busy and didn't make it out until Sunday. I counted 11 cars that day. I think T-shirt venders outnumbered cars.

From what I heard, Saturday was better but short of expectations.

Mike

16. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Man I hope the poor showing was directly connected to the rainy weather. I was there and was very disappointed in the turn out.
    Yes!!! I miss old Paso also. There will never be another Paso, just glad to have been a part of it's existence.

17. Uribe

Uribe

I heard the poor showing this year was because of the the poor weather, so much that they decided to do the award ceramony on saterday as opposed to sunday . It was raining all day sunday on and off. I still had a great time. I have been to the paso show the last 3 years it was there, it was great, but you could only fit so many cars at a park, the fairground in Santa María can hold hundreds of cars and usualy fills up all the way to the back fence. Ive been going to this show since 2008. Weather sucked this time around,sure it wiil be better next year

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Bitchin car man... you have reason to be proud, congrats!!!!

50Fraud and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Belated Congrats on the Award @50Fraud...Outdoor events are at the mercy of Mother Nature always and you fellas are getting hammered down there all over...hope things improve on the show scene...

50Fraud likes this.
  20. Jay71

Jay71

Ebbs and flows. I think it was a down year for Santa Maria. Not letting Lowriders into the fairgrounds probably had a big impact on the amount of cars there. There is a very big lowrider scene in Santa, with a lot of very nice cars but it seems they were only allowed to cruise Friday night and there was another show Saturday just down the road to counter that. Not sure about the turnout for it though. It’ll never be Paso but I’ll continue to go and I’m sure it will bounce back.

Ranchero59 likes this.