Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The truth may set you free.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, May 28, 2019.

1. brasscarguy

brasscarguy
    from seattle

My wife owns Subaru's service centers and I'm retired. My only job is to keep our car collection up and at the ready so when she wants to take one of the cars out its full of fuel and ready to go.

So that said as she writes the checks she knows what I spend and never questions how much. Her only concern is that I keep the paperwork accurate and the parts are charged to the right car. Not to difficult for an old guy. I get to play cars every day actually paid for it.

life is good,

brasscarguy

2. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I don't hide shit from my wife ... Happy wife happy life... Most of the time she ask's if she can contribute to the project. What can I say? I married well :cool:

chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  3. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

1959Nomad and Just Gary like this.
  4. Now that it's all out, the worst she can do is ask you to build a car for her.

5. trollst

trollst

Well, I'm married 40 years to a complicated woman, we met when I rode, I was a wild man, harley davidson guy, she wanted a dangerous guy, got one. THEN it started, a couple years in, bikes are dangerous, my buddies scary, poor influence on our kids, yada, yada, I'd look so much better in nice clothes, our marriage nearly ended, I proposed a compromise, I'd build a car, watching sports wasn't gonna happen, but our marriage would end if the car thing wasn't accepted.
    Built a scary fast, stick to the asphalt like glue T bucket, out of my pocket with work on the side, and she came in the car reluctantly, it messed her hair. So built my 36, she likes it, but is NOT a car person. Doesn't really question what I spend, every now and then will comment, but also understands that she knows where I am, helps me put on a car show every year, so.....we have an uneasy truce over cars, and for the most part, in my house, peace is kept well enough that life otherwise is good.

6. patterg2003

patterg2003

We talk it out so both our hobbies & activities work with the budget. Our money all flows in and out of one pot so it there is no hiding the spending. It has worked for 42 years. There is no trying to be equal as that never works. Sometimes the wife needs a big item or is going for a week or two trip with friends. I don't claw the same money that she spends to balance the scales or vice versa. If I go on a fly-in fishing trip with my friends then she is good with that. We need different things at different times and support one another in our hobbies & life. We both are reasonably money conscious and do not do crazy spending without a conversation or six. My wife gets the new ride about every decade and we Rust Check them annually so they stay new. I drive the new to me trucks until they time out. That works for us.
    Two acquaintances wanted me to join them in scratch building a large 4 seater airplane and it was my wife that pushed me off the fence. Now I am a partner in a beautiful big airplane that flies on wheels, skis and soon on a set of floats. Life has a better harmony by being open and mutually supporting one another to both enjoy life.

7. rudestude

rudestude

Haha...that's one headache I don't have to worry about, being a single guy never been married, but being that does ad something to the list of things that I usually have to take care of myself. Just saying

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. My grandfather's rule was tell them 100% truth. If they don't like it then find someone who does! At least she can't call you a lier! IMG-20190514-WA0005.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Just Gary like this.
  9. wicarnut

wicarnut

IMO, Truth/honesty is always the best policy in all aspects of one's life. My second wife, 35 years now, together 39 years was one of my better decisions in life. I was still racing when we met and after that, Anything I/We have done is inexpensive, she thinks the car hobby is reasonable $$$ fun and understands me, I'm not the hand my money over, get a 6 pack, watch a ball game guy. I'm A Lucky Man in many ways, very Grateful/Thankful.

10. very simple at my house..I,m a thrifty old tomcat.so I just put a little in the kitty every night

chryslerfan55, williebill and jaw22w like this.
  11. The Queen doesn't give me much trouble over the car thing. But she also knows when I drag a ''flipper'' home, she gets the money from the sale. This way, she doesn't freak when I pull in with one on the hook!

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

It only took me 3 divorces to find one who likes cars like I do.
    I could have an all steel Willys coupe with a blown Hemi for what those first 3 cost me.
    Still paying the second one part of my retirement.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. Small stuff I just buy no issues.
    Bigger purchases I run by the wife to make sure money I see in the account is not earmarked for something for the family.
    I’m cheap and hunt for deals.
    I tell her the truth as I’m not smart and can’t keep details straight, so why bother!
    She’s the account, it’s our account, my car is a hobby and family quality comes first.
    She knows old cars are my hobbie and my passion and realizes it could be worse then dirty hands, swapneets and finding me in the garage under a car ! Lol
    She’s not really a car girl but shows interest and can appreciate what I see in these old “ boats” as she calls them.
    And if I pack it in I don’t want her “ getting rid of junk” but cashing out what I have spent ( hopefully)
    Good ya came clean.
    Easier in the long haul for sure.

14. JFK Killer

JFK Killer

When my wife an I first got together we had joint accounts. They never seemed to have any extra parts money in them. After everything was paid for the month. After afew years of hard work an never really getting what I wanted. We sat down an figure out a budget plan. Figure how to devide the bills right down the center. So we ended up she has her checking an savings i have mine. Then we do a joint account were we pay all the the bills from. So now she has her money I have mine an no questions asked. Unless alot of boxes then she asked what I bought. I tell her but she never askes how much cause she dont wanna know. She thinks the car life style is kinda a waist of money. It makes me happy so thats all she wants is me happy so she dont say much ever...

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. I've been divorced for 20 years. Wasn't married for very long, but when I told the wife I was considering buying another car her reaction wasn't very upbeat. "Why do you want or need another car?" I knew then that this marriage was doomed.

16. Deuces

Deuces

x3.....

17. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, the Chinese have almost exactly, word for word, the same saying here. And I've used your "booze, hookers and dope" logic on my wife for coming on 52 years. Must work, right?;)

18. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Take your Prozac first;)

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

The key to not have to answer questions about how much parts cost, is get to the mail box first and get them in the garage before she sees them. That way eliminates the need to lie.

Rocky72, chryslerfan55 and Rich S. like this.
  20. For the better part of 36 years my mother has always been supportive of my father and his hobby (addiction that is ). She’s hardly ever complained (‘ cept when he drives his convertible, but that’s another story)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

VANDENPLAS and chevy57dude like this.
  21. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No issues here. My wife is the banker and knows exactly what every car costs. She was a bank manager for many years. She keeps a ledger on each car we do and has it down to the penny. When I want to do another one she has no problem except she also wants to see it prior to purchase-she knows 40's inside and out-sees things I might miss. When my painter paints one he always tells me to bring her and she goes over the car with masking tape on each and every minor flaw-he then fixes as needed. She also is very involved with assy and pics int colors and patterns. Other folks have asked her to help with their interior design/color as well. We are on the hunt for another right now.

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  22. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

:D
    That sure is a nice swing you bought her:D

23. Congrats Larry, that's what we're here for as friends and car family, you guys and gals have helped me out several times.

24. I don't have to lie, she looks at that little box from UPS on the front step and goes "that looks like $400" and then matches me dollar for dollar. My builds cost twice as much.

Or do like my brother-in-law, sends all his shit here and picks it up on the week-end.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  25. (This one may be hard to believe.) I was a HOT Rodder when I met my wife. She totally loved HOT Rods. Before we met I spent every dollar that I made on my cars. So when we got married I told her to take care of our finances. She is much better than I am at doing it. She gives me a HOT ROD budget. That means I may have to save up for the more expensive parts. HERSHEY really drains me! Lol But this works for me. Hay (happy wife) well you know!Ron...

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Mahty

Mahty

Ha! I gave up cars for many years after selling my restore shop. My wife bugged me for years to get another car just for me. She knows how much these things cost. Don’t lie.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary likes this.
  27. Sounds like Marisa Tomei earn her Oscar playing your wife in My Cousin Vinny :)

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    Ron Funkhouser, pitman and Rich S. like this.
  28. Rich S.

Rich S.

29. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

During the early part of our 45 years together, my car fix didn't get fixed much. As things got better for us I did more, but I was terrible at estimating the cost for things I would do and have done for me. I would tell her it was going to cost $500 and it would end up $1000. It took a few years, but she finally caught on to that. Now, I'm much better at estimating expenses for a car build but she still adds 30-40%. And most of the time she's closer than I am, but very seldom says anything about what I'm spending. She has 4 closets full of clothes and 7 fingers full of diamonds, and I say nothing about those except to say how nice they look on her. Life is good.

30. Terrible80

Terrible80

The other day I tried to tell my wife what a screaming deal I made on an OT bumper. She said," I never ask you what you paid for it."

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app