Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration The truth may set you free.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34Larry, May 28, 2019.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s going to get you a visit to the divorce lawyer pronto. :D

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

NOT telling her the truth may set you free.:rolleyes:

3. 34Larry

34Larry

Whoa. responses I did not expect.
    Jan really dislikes my car a lot. Hates when I spend time in the garage and shows are an absolute no. In addition this is a 2nd marriage. We are of course retired, and she has her money, I have my money and we have our money. Its always been like that since before we were married. I don't question what she does with hers. We do love each other and we get along very good except when it comes to this subject.
    So after reading most of what you all have said, I confessed over lunch, (we went out), that I have not been exactly honest about the cost of the hot rod. She wasn't mad, said she figured that and it didn't matter the cost it was and is my money, just be honest. "The truth will set you free" Dumb mistake on my part. I'm very glad I asked and I thank you all for your honest answers. Being so really helped me come clean.
    (Now where'd I put that list of stuff I need).

4. My wife is a former OReillys assistant manager and has worked in auto parts most of our 21 years together. There is absolutely no point in trying to bullshit her about anything car related.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

Separate checking accounts, don't ask don't tell.

chryslerfan55, Deuces and seb fontana like this.
  6. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

I would say that was a good decision imo and I congratulate you on it. I’ve read all 4 pages of this and my marriage and situation are still different to boot but it doesn’t matter now since you came clean. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and Nostrebor like this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've never asked her about the cost of her shoes, guitars or kayaks, parts sales cover my car parts. Bob

Deuces, lothiandon1940 and williebill like this.
  8. Rocky72

Rocky72
    from Pa.

Mine asks what the parts cost and did I have enough money to cover the cost or do I need some cash . Yeah I think I'll just keep her .

9. I guess I’m odd, I married a woman I don’t need to lie to, she trusts me to be responsible with our money as I trust her to do the same, no ones mad, ever. Works well.

10. southcross2631

southcross2631

We have a race car account and our household account and we have been known to borrow from each of them to make the other one work.
    Our anniversary was last Saturday and I asked her where she wanted to go and she drove me around on a golf cart so I could play golf and then we went the dirt track to watch outlaw late models. Her choice.

11. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am glad that you came clean with her. Now you both have an understanding and you can play with your car stress free. A weight was probably removed from your mind and now enjoy life. Good on you.:)

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You better you bet.:D

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You better you bet.:D

14. deuceman32

deuceman32

I believe it was Mark Twain who said that the simplest way to live is to always tell the truth because that way you don't have to remember anything. I'm inclined to agree with him.

1959Nomad, chryslerfan55 and alanp561 like this.
  15. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You know Larry , maybe take her too lunch out in the hot rod and let her drive it and it may help both you. She might see what it means to you and it gets her involved. Only potential down fall is you both maybe fighting for the keys .:D

16. blakejr57

blakejr57
    from Austin, TX

I find the best way to keep things copacetic and not be tempted to lie is to let my wife control the purse strings. She keeps us on budget, something I am historically atrocious at, and it keeps me from spending on stupid things because I know she will notice as she seemingly checks the bank balance every hour. When I do need something for the car I just tell her what and how much and when it might be possible. Might take a couple months to fit it into the budget but if you can’t wait that long you’re probably in the wrong game! Wouldn’t presume to tell anyone else how to be married and not saying I’ve never “bent the truth” about anything, but definitely honesty is the best policy as the old folks used to tell us

17. robracer1

robracer1

My attitude is look them straight in the face and lie to them, now this may have something to do with why I'm not married?

Deuces likes this.
  18. My wife and I both work full time jobs and our oldest just graduated college a couple of weeks ago and our youngest has 1 year left.
    Needless to say things have been tight for the last few years... my wife is an accountant and has the budget for the "house" down to a science. She hates it when things "come up" that mess with the budget...
    Enter me and my hobbies.
    I have a car hobby, motorcycle hobby and shooting hobby... I also opened my own t-shirt business to support my hobbies independent of my regular paycheck that goes to the house budget. So, yes she asks what stuff cost, and yes I tell her. I also regularly put t-shirt money into the house budget to cover other things that come up for the family and house.
    It works out great... she just mentioned the other day that she would like to get a headliner for the coupe for me for fathers day
    The only down side is that between my day job and side business I am running out of time to enjoy the hobbies...lol.
    My friends and I call this "First World Problems"
    Chappy

19. CAHotRodBoy

CAHotRodBoy

There's a reason I'm single. I don't have to ask anyone or tell anyone lies. I do what I want when I want to do it.

That's not why I'm single though. I'm single because I'm an asshole! :eek::D

20. Rich S.

Rich S.

IMG_2359.JPG I told her that I was going to a swap meet to just look around.

21. Rich S.

Rich S.

22. desotot

desotot

I am glad my better half is thriftier than I am.

Deuces likes this.
  23. I won’t lie to my wife.
    Sometimes she says “don’t tell me” ,,,
    Sometimes she asks 47 questions
    Sometimes she tells me to tell everyone “no” and work my hot rod.

The two shall become one,,, lie to her , lie to yourself.

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Household bills come first, then if there is any left, parts are budgeted out of that. Higher priced items usually take a little longer to get. Wife pays the household bills, I handle the credit cards and my business expenses. We both know how much is there before we spend anything extra. The business has kept the extra money very tight for the last year or so, but we’re beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’m again buying car parts on a limited basis, as well as building materials for the shop/ carport expansion. 41 years together, we can about read the others minds now!

25. Latigo

Latigo

My wife has a horse. I’ll never catch up. Nuff said.

Gerrys, BJR, mountainman2 and 11 others like this.
  26. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

:D

27. Mine too, I support her hobby just as she does mine

28. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

My dad always said - couples don’t fight about money they fight about a lack of money!! My wife came from and old car family her dad had 40 + old cars when he passed , all inside 3 huge garages ! So she understands the old car disease. I don’t lie about old car money we discuss all big purchases.

29. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

53 years of marriage and I've never lied to her about what I spend on anything because I always discussed any large purchases with her to make sure she was OK with it and still do. There were several times she suggested I wait for a while for some reason or other and why it would be a good thing to do so. She was right every damn time, too !

1959Nomad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  30. 34Larry

34Larry

Well that would be great there, 41rodderz, except she hasn't even sat in the ford and wouldn't if I paid her. Says it is to loud, to crowded and it scares her. She loved my '66 Rivi and even drove it once, petal to the metal and out o' sight. But this one, no sir ree.
    Was a beautiful evening here on Puget Sound tonight, no wind, about 69/70, water as smooth as glass so I took her for a drink and seafood in a expensive place on the water. I'm sure she gets my intent.

So now I'm look'in at new 5 inch Truespokes for the front and narrower tires, and considering lakester headers.