Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Pontiac straigt 8 Hydramatic question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasolinedeniz, May 28, 2019.

1. Hi guys, oh lord i hope my question is not to stupid but i really run out of ideas what could be wrong. I try to separate my 1950 Pontiac straight 8 from the hydramatic. The tranny is still in the car( so the engine :-( ) i took the 6 bolts out which keep the tranny to the engine attached.but still i can't move the engine out. It slips maybe half a inch off of the tranny but not more ? Is there any trick or is it just stuck ?

2. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You will need to unbolt the torque convertor "shell" from the flywheel(will need a large drain pan) before the engine/ trans will 'part'. The ring of bolts close to the ring gear are the ones you need to remove(requires rotating the crankshaft to access all of them)

hrm2k and F&J like this.
  3. That was what i was thinking but couldn't imagine it is really this way:-( Thanks for your help so i know what to do tomorrow:)

4. BJR

BJR

Put the engine to bell housing bolts back in while you remove the torus bolts. Otherwise you may bend the torus cover. When all of the bolts holding the torus together have been removed, then remove the bell housing bolts.

hrm2k, Rich S. and Max Gearhead like this.

5. And put a large pan under it to catch a bunch of ATF.