Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1941-48 Ford car engine swap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot Rod Brando, May 21, 2019.

1. Hey there, quick question. Anyone know if an FE engine will fit without changing/modifying the firewall? I’m not worried about exhaust clearance or mounting, just if I need to buy or fab a firewall...

Thanks!!!

Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Bump. Anyone know the answer to this?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

What FE engine are you looking to swap? My 48 has a sbc like a lot of others, one modification I did on mine was flipping the heater core upside down so the heater hose nipples are no longer tight behind the Chevy's rear distributor. Can see their new location next to the passenger side hood hinge. "Not hooked up yet on this pic" 20170414_135027.jpg

4. The FE's are all the same physical size, going to be fairly healthy displacement. All of the unneeded stuff is coming out. I'm really most concerned with the distance between the firewall and the radiator. The FE is longer than a SBC, I might just need to get a tape measure and a shoe horn... Thanks for the response...

5. flatout51

flatout51

I have a small block ford in my 48 tudor... it fits very tight. I ended up running a snow white short water pump so I could run a decent sized radiator and I still have to leave the water pump off to get the rad in and then install all the front engine stuff. I think where you'll run into the most issues is oil pan. If you can find a 4x4 pan it may work. The car pans are front sump and would land directly on the front crossmember. An FE is almost the same length as the small block but no short pumps. Kinda rambled there sorry. Let me know if I can help any.

Sent from my SM-G977U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hot Rod Brando likes this.
  6. Thanks @flatout51 Appreciate the info. I like the coupe in your avatar... About to do that to another coupe I have...

flatout51 likes this.
  7. flatout51

flatout51

That's my other long term project Haha! Too many projects not enough time!

8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@flatout51 he might gain some room if he used a straight 6 donor car. The radiator and etc all sits a few inches forward. I’d say as much as 4? Don’t see them often but here is one around town. The different radiator cowl/shield/ what ever you want to call the bit bat covers the top of the radiator looks way different. That’s the give away

flatout51 likes this.
  9. flatout51

flatout51

Very true. It does move the rad WAY forward. But it does make the radiator very narrow. Might be hard to cool a big block with the small rad? I think the old pan issue will be the hardest to overcome.

Tim likes this.
  10. gene-koning

gene-koning

When I build something, I automatically expect to do some form of firewall modification. Then, should I not need to modify the firewall, the project just got easier.
    An FE is a big motor, if the motor set back into the firewall a couple inches, it sure would be helpful with clearances at the front of the motor, which is usually the biggest trouble location. Gene

11. Thanks everyone for the help. I did some measuring today since I got the car. Based on general specifications for a 390, it would put the pulleys right where a radiator would go. By recessing it, the pulleys would sit over the front cross member like the flathead does. So, I'll make some room.. Thanks again!!!! Here's the car... 48 Ford.jpg

Tim and oliver westlund like this.