Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tired of homogenized hotrods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by onekoolkat1950, Dec 24, 2015.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This Hotrod was still around and undergoing a restoration quite some time ago...I wonder if it was completed?

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and anthony myrick like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BBQdaWM.jpeg

Scotty el Mirage  copy.jpg

Robert Stack 1938.jpg

DybHfoBXQAYQuV8.jpg

551295f2e59596aa70bd3b8c0cc52d57.png

:rolleyes:...This is in my eyes one fine grouping of Traditional Hotrods as most are plated taking a real beating (quite well supported I might add) in a thread right now for the simple reason that the rear wheel wells have been filled...why were they filled?...for cutting drag, looks...I mean for a site that promotes Hotrod Tradition and History it is a sad commentary to see it being described as such a negative thing...I mean to me I think of Howard Hughes and Dome Rivets...He tried Flush Rivets to cut down drag.

I suspect many Rodders and Racers looked at the situation on the ground the same way, perhaps even influenced by his discovery or experimentation.

All the Poster (OP) was asking was about the history and looking like plastic and a recycled fridge really don't explain the history...there is a huge amount of pride in those pics without the ignorance I have seen here...oh well ignorance is bliss to some...but it ain't coming from me...

Maybe I'm wrong, the Puke crew might have been standing behind the camera person ready to unleash on the 'looks like ass' right after the pic was taken and I do remember reading of Club members banished for mods to their rides...

I hope all those who created and piloted these Hotrods know in spirit that what they have done is still leaving a positive legacy with most of us.

Trust me if Stogy was ever to open a barn door and any of these historical capsules were residing within I wouldn't change a single thing...

Long live the Hotrod Past...;)

Here is a link to the thread I was refering too...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-wheel-wells-on-a-fenderless-hot-rod.1151112/

Credit to Photographer's, Owner's

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    OLLIN, brEad, anthony myrick and 9 others like this.
  5. FAA38218-FDD9-4D1B-A793-AA6584573495.jpeg
    This one looks suspicious behind the rear wheel
    Shadow or filled?
    Dig those headlights

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a good chance it is...heck it was almost a Homogenized mod...:D

The Lights well it's a Sixties Hotrod so it's period correct and perhaps the set Tuck is putting on his Roadster...I mean its
    entirely possible this Hotrod was sold hacked apart into a 70's Streetrod and they got rid of the ugly that many like to Coin as others hang their heads in remembrance of what was...

It really doesn't matter...it is a mod that in my opinion like SO many hugely debated period mods and I suspect in this case it is was done for a look on the Street that may have seen strip action as well.

Here's one I derive great interest in...Why?...and it's important...it resides in the Traditional Hotrod Guidelines AND so it should...;)

thumb.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...raditional-hot-rod-forum.828348/#post-9191025

Remember I'm very open to the big picture warts and all...NO blinders...
    It truly is a very misunderstood Thread...

Credit to Photographer, Owner

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  7. Gofannon

Gofannon

8. Six Ball, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  9. chryslerfan55, Tuck and Stogy like this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

YES! :)

chryslerfan55, Sancho and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I heard it was a Bassturd to Drive too...:D

13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

FAA38218-FDD9-4D1B-A793-AA6584573495.jpeg

@Tuck, that Roadster I was alluding could now be long gone and parted out and suggested you may have the acquired the Headlight stands in collecting parts...are your Stands Vintage used or do they Repro those these days?...
    I guess there is a number of other similar details as well and I guess that's the period correct your nailing on yours shining through.

Update...After comparing the Light Stands they are different but the Hotrod above still has styling trends evident in Tucks build...So @Tuck you may have discussed in your thread what are your plans for the Grille, Aluminum with Radiused Holes...Bullets?

Pic posted by @anthony myrick
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...enized-hotrods.1002926/page-105#post-13096828

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  14. Ok guys
    What’s up
    All this secret code head light talk

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You must have seen his Roadster build (Be there or be Square)...he's using Quads on stands just like those...it's really coming together but still some interesting surprises coming I'm sure...;)...maybe bullets on the grill too...Lottsa Carbs and Hemi to boot...

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Time to bring back the "threw up a little in my mouth just now" phrase?

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:rolleyes:

Do not Fret...:D...Try not to slip in it...

It's all about balance...

I understand and there are those that refuse to be strung along...;)

It's interesting the shows of the fifties had a more real life Hotrod/Custom ambience and the mid to latter sixties things went way out there...and this is promotion for music and culture which carry on till today...and yeah it ain't always pretty...;)

Nor is it always a failure...

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image2xx.jpg

Ready to Rumble
    Across the Pond

Gonna Go Gow GO Big...;)

Credit to Photographer. Owner

19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

BigO, Shadow Creek, Tuck and 6 others like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

44738820_323287548262352_4003204407067500801_n.jpg

:rolleyes:...this one has Outies...the wheelwells that is...;)

21. Makes it look like plastic!

Stogy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. filled wheel well.jpg
    if ya notice the car, zoom in on the wheel well and tail pan(car)

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

At least some of the filled wheel wells were a treatment for serious rust issues found in that area from water trapped between the body and the fender. Most builders of the time did not have access to a shop filled with sheetmetal tools and there were no after market replacement panels. Gas welding was the norm. Guys worked with what they had and the mind set was not like it is today where tiny parts from several bodies ate collected and pieced together using modern welding techniques to recreate a traditional looking hot rod.
    I have wondered why Marvin Webb molded almost every other body line on this roadster except the wheel wells.

DSCN0032.jpg

chryslerfan55, 63fdsnr, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is technically speaking (purpose built) a form of aerodynamics. Aviation was evolving and I suppose the Automotive Industry where speed and fuel usage and EVEN Looks was concerned.

That car raced didn't it @Six Ball...The Racing Crowd was a mix of the Industrial Evolution of all walks so they were researching and gleaning things that made stuff go faster...

Some were very good with mechanical and coach like perfection so some of these racers where extremely well done

Maybe he settled for smoothed wells feeling the look just didn't sit well or that was next and it didn't happen...

I wonder how that was accomplished...pounded flat and filled cut out...maybe even slightly sectioned?

Did you peek inside?

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

IMG_9068.JPG
    Updated pic with a 5" narrower rear axle-

sorry for the blurry pic... but I plan to fill my rear quarters smooth and I'll probably make a 2" rocker and shorten the door a tad too for the hedders. I'm going to smooth and blend my cowl for sure.

Its weird for me... like a total traditional hot rod built in that tardel fashion looks bone Stock to me sporting a flathead v8-

You also have to acknowledge the silent tug of war going on between hot rods and kustoms during the sixties that totally ruled... the essences of the El Matador etc... those cars with creativity that pushed the envelope-

THANKS, @Stogy I got those stands NOS from OFFY they found them in the back room or something... (for real) I cut about 2-3" out of them to drop the lights down and put Lucas Flamethrowers in them. I always planned to put quads on this- the first time around I was going to make buckets with 59 chevy bezels for them but these rule-

Look at the hairpins on that roadster Anthony posted... BITCHEN.

26. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Tuck...Your Hotrod is such a pleasing mix of complimenting details in a 60s era timeframe. Also as you say the build is reflecting a divide which is actually not that silent here...but there is a spoke on the Wheel for the mixing of the niches as it was a force all along and quite prevalent and very often achieving very positive outcomes...and some ugly too...there was all that at every niche of automobile.

I think that is in essence is what this thread is reflective of...Your nailing it...thanks for sharing your personal adventure and views in Hotrod with us...;)

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yupp...I do acknowledge this analogy...:confused:...:D(such a funny word)...the thread does highlight this in the OP. Wonder if this was a sheetmetal or lead...or even Bondo...It's funny I thought I was having an eye malfunction...

It may in fact may have been a go fast mod playing along the filled wheelwells...streamlining with a stabilizing wind stabilizer...

Doesn't make it even prettier though.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An Acknowledgement...Thanks @onekoolkat1950 for starting this Balance of Power Thread...The Big Picture in Hotrod was Mixed, Fantastic, Dangerous, Ingenious, Ugly, Beautiful, Adventurous and a Joy to Celebrate...AND Continues to be just that...Fun

Thanks to All of You for your contributions and for the most part pretty darn on topic...There's lots more to enjoy...;)...Forward We Go Fast and Cool...

Regards,
    Stogy

30. If I remember right this particular roadster is a late 50’s/60’s ? Survivor that was found and restored a few years back. The current owner knew what he had and decided to put it back to it’s original shop condition.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

anthony myrick and Stogy like this.