Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pulling off speed parts....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JFK Killer, May 25, 2019.

1. Just buy another car..ha ha ha
    I have a bad habit of building my cars to fit my drag racer persona, stripped down to bare shells, solid mounted engines, no interiors other than paint, gauges and 2 seats, drag strip inspired suspensions, no heat, radios, insulation etc etc.
    My newest project I have sworn to myself that it will be somewhat normal, having the essentials like heat, radio, carpet, comfy seat, door seals, wipers, maybe even power steering. Other than the 2x4 cross ram I'm sticking to the plan, when I feel rambunctious I'll just take one of the other cars. Now about your blower...ha ha ha

JFK Killer and loudbang like this.
  2. I paid Gene Mooneyham a lot of money to set up my 6-71. I paid a lot more money to have an engine built for it. Why, in God's name, would I ever want to pull it off and run a single 4 barrel? I've driven the car thousands of miles all over California with narry a hint of trouble.

[​IMG]

3. rudestude

rudestude

It's your car and you are the one that drives it so you do what you feel you need to do , I'm sorry to hear that you have kidney problems.
    I just hope that wanting to detune your hot rod is not something that every kidney patient experiences, because I am and have been a kidney cancer patient for 6 years now and after around 8 surgery's, starting to lose track of everything between MRI's, CAT scans, blood tests, blood clots, and all the other fun stuff, I only have about 40% of one remaining kidney functioning, one has been completely removed,and now they are saying that I am border line of becoming diabetic , and I'm in the process of building my 50 Studebaker Starlight Coupe, and I like to become one with my car's, so not only do I like to hear them I like to feel the experience also so my Studebaker is currently getting a 4"drop tube axle with 4 bar and coil overs the rear end is Dana 60 4:10's spool , leaf springs,undecided on traction devices yet, engine is 327 tunnel ram duel Holleys plus all the other goodies that go along with that, scatter shield, M-22(Rock Crusher)trans,all set back 10" in the chassis and so on . It would be great if I had a blower for it but I'm just using what I have at the moment... I'm doing everything I can to get it finished, which is slow because of health issues jobs are difficult, so I can drive the Hell out of it and enjoy it , and if it's to loud, to uncomfortable ,not very streetable, which is what most of my Hot Rods have been like, then I have succeeded what I set out to accomplish....then I can die a Happy man.....just not rite away , I want to drive it for a while...
    Terry (aka Rudestude)

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

williebill and loudbang like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

I am sorry to hear about the health changes occurring in your life. Each of us have to approach our ageing bodies on our own terms. Don't let others tell you what you think you should do is wrong, or right, you have to do what is right for yourself.
    If a simple to drive ride is what you think you want or need, then go for it. If the change you think you need to make is a radical change, it might be with good wisdom that you not rid yourself of what you take off your car right away. Sometimes we think we need to make changes in a big way when little changes might have been more appropriate, but there are times when the radical changes are the right move. If the move you choose to make are correct, you will have no problem getting rid of what you take off your car. But just in case those moves prove to be too big at one step, you still have the parts to go back, then you can make smaller changes.
    It is not me that stands in your shoes, so it is not me that should make the decisions about the things you should do with your life and property. I will however pray for your health and peace of mind for the hard decisions you will be facing as time progresses. Gene

loudbang likes this.
  5. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I don't think I can give you any helpful feedback but I have a couple of questions.
    Just what problems does having the blower on your engine have other than having a scoop out in the open?
    I ask because I'm building my first 6-71 blown engine ( hemi) at the age of 76.
    I don't think anything you say will keep me from doing it, but I'm curious as to what negative results I am creating for myself.
    I'm really looking forward to your insight.

loudbang likes this.
  6. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Have a mild mill & blown mill for either occasion......

loudbang likes this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

I never saw a down side with a 6-71 on my 350 Chevy. Keep the percentage on the drive reasonable, (in fact mine is 15% under), use a cam suited to street use and that compliments your gearing and think about the carburetion.
    I learned decades ago not to mix race cars with daily drivers, so a cam with 114* lobe centers and 222* duration @ .050 and two 600 Holleys mounted in line work well with 31” tall tires and 3.36 gears. No double pumpers, exotic carb linkage for sideways mounted carbs and especially no goofy “blower lope” from a giant cam.
    Hammer it and it gets your attention quickly, but the same combo has given me 17.5 mpg on road trips.

loudbang likes this.
  8. Fordors

Fordors

Believe me, a blown engine can be exciting when you want it but still be perfectly tractable in normal driving, it’s all in the combination. Until you open the carbs and give it some air you won’t notice the difference. Leave the giant carbs and cam to the racers.

loudbang likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

You sure can set up a blower motor to work fine in normal driving. But it does require sacrifice, to some extent. Cooling, gas mileage, noise, visibility, and a few other things. It might or might not be worth it to you. Having driven blown cars over 100k miles, I can see the trade offs pretty clearly. But I have two blower cars right now, so...

Sent from my Trimline

loudbang likes this.
  10. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I had a Littlefield 6-71 on my engine 15% under and had no problem. That's because I had the engine built for it.
    Dean made a comment that should not be ignored. You HAVE to have an engine that is built for a blower. There is a huge difference between a blower motor and a motor with a blower.

swade41, loudbang and Dean Lowe like this.