Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '48 Ford Parallel Leaf Springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lake_harley, May 27, 2019.

1. lake_harley

lake_harley

I've looked at the CE and TCI Parallel Leaf spring kits as a possibility for my '48 coupe. On the HAMB, discussing such a suspension setup, someone posted that they used S-10 springs and built their own hangars. It appears that poster is banned so I can't contact him to see how it worked out and if he'd do it differently if doing a conversion again.

Has anyone else here used S-10 rear leaf springs on a '46-'48 Ford? I happen to have a donor '88 S-10 here right now and if I can make good use of the springs I figure why not. Fabricating brackets isn't a problem, but I am wondering how they work out as far as spring rate and ride height. The springs are longer than either CE or TCI springs and wonder if that created any issues since the rear shackle pivots would get back in the area of the rear bumper brackets.

Thanks in advance. If you've done a S-10 Parallel leaf installation I would love to see photos of the car's stance and of the installation.

Lynn

2. When I bought my 47 club coupe, it came with an early 60's Chrysler rear suspension setup, complete. The rear end and springs were mounted to the car with bolt on brackets. The rear portion of the spring pack is longer, than the forward part, and it was out by the rear bumper. They had fabbed up a strong mount, and I drove it like that for a year until I took car apart, to make changes. The car rode well, with that longer spring.

3. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks. That had to be some interesting looking bracketry.

Looking at the specs from Landrum Spring, Chrysler springs (those used on circle track race cars) are about 2" longer overall than the S-10 springs I have, with rear portion about 6" longer than my S-10 springs. From other posts about parallel spring setups, the kit springs are only about 48" total length, with the center bolt at the 1/2 way point. My S-10 springs are about 25" from the front eye to the center bolt, and about 27" from the rear eye to the center. I'm just hoping to find someone who used S-10 springs to get input on how the installation went and how it looked when done.

Lynn

4. I'm just commenting because it may help you visualize mounts, if you go with the S10 stuff.
    The 2 bushings that the shackles would swing in were welded to a length of angle that located them just to rear of frame rails. The length of angle was bolted across the back of the frame. The rear bumper mounts were modified to work with this angle iron. The Chrysler springs are 1/3 long in front, and 2/3 long to the rear. I believe that was a design thing to give the cars a smooth ride.

lake_harley likes this.

5. lake_harley

lake_harley

Thanks, Algoma56. I can visualize what you're describing. The 1/3 front 2/3 rear length ratio is about the dimensions of the Chrysler springs I referred to. At least the S-10 springs are a little shorter in the rear and would fit within the length of the frame rails, but it seems the shackle mount would get into or be really close to the front edge of the bumper bracket.

Lynn

6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Chrysler short/long spring proportion is two fold, I believe. Yes, the longer spring improves ride quality. But if the axle pad were midway, the spring would flex too much (spring wrap up) upon brisk acceleration. The short front section is much more resistant to that tendency.

As for the use of S-10 springs.....I have adapted the springs, front mounts and rear shackles to my ‘54 GMC 1/2 ton chassis. I found two wheel drive S-10 springs in 3 leaf and 4 leaf versions. I chose the 3 leaf because I do not anticipate carrying much weight in the truck.

In working with the rear shackles, I chose to box the frame rail and weld in a tube that accepts the factory S-10 shackle bushing, duplicating the stock S-10 configuration. That also kept the spring more nearly level on the GMC chassis. Not sure how the chassis rail contours differ on your Ford.

However, some years ago (2008) I did install a Chassis Engineering parallel leaf spring kit on a ‘47 Ford Coupe I built. It worked okay, but I thought the springs in the kit were a little on the short side. Rumor has it they were/are some sort of Dodge pickup front spring.

From the dimensions you provided, and thinking back about my CE and S10 installations, I am thinking the S-10 springs are worth a mock up to see how well they may fit. As for spring rate, I’d expect either one or the other, 3 vs 4 leaf, would be adequate for your Ford.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  7. lake_harley

lake_harley

Hnstray.....thanks for sharing your experiences. I'd have to look again but I think the S-10 springs I have are 4 leaf, but the bottom/shortest leaf is really thick and I suspect it serves as an overload spring to help with heavier loads in the pickup. That leaf is broken on one spring and I was planning to remove them anyway, since I don't expect to be picking up a load of gravel or lumber with the coupe.:D

By what you've said, I think I will spend a bit more time mocking things up and doing more measuring to see if I can save myself about $600 by using my S-10 springs and not buying a kit. I'm all about doing things myself and not having it all come on "the brown truck" while I watch my funds dwindle.

Lynn

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

see if you can find the dimensions & pictures of the aftermarket rear leaf spring set up to compare to S10 - cutting corners sometimes can cause more headaches than ever thought of it not done right

dirty old man likes this.
  9. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

go with CI bolt in use early 9'' or gm 10''2hr.work put it in my 41 sets nice rides nice

10. There is another option available from Posies- has adjustable ride height and Teflon button sliders- easy install and good ride

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Old thread I know but I'm looking to replace the rubber bushes in my '46 Tudor parallel leaf rear spring conversion.
    The conversion was done when I bought the car so I'm only guessing it has the usual Dodge pickup springs fitted.
    Can anyone suggest what model Dodge or whatever else they could be from so I can do a Rock Auto search.
    Unlike the CE spring that shows the eyes on opposing sides mine has the eyes on the same side like a conventional arrangement.
    Thanks in advance.