Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 28 Ford reversed eye springs, need just main leaf

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VinnieCap, May 27, 2019.

1. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Helllo All,
    I want to use reversed eye springs for both the front and back of the 28. I only need the main leaf as I'll just use the remaining original springs.

Who sells just a reversed eye, but only the main leaf (not the whole pack), that will bolt up to an original 28?

Thanks
    Vinnie

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

There is a hamb member that does but I can’t remember his screen name.
    I’m sure he’ll chime in

3. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Don't know who may sell them. There are past threads on here detailing how to reverse your own spring with a press, or just a sledge hammer... Try a search.

4. ROCKER77

ROCKER77

5. He's here too.@100 o/o Matt

The37Kid and ROCKER77 like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup that’s the guy

7. Get a price for reworking yours before you go too far. It is interesting to note that people usually turn the main leaf over and reverse the arch of the main leaf instead of reversing the actual eyes.

Charlie Stephens

1946caddy and Never2low like this.
  8. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

My friend and I reversed several with a harbor freight press. It's surprisingly easy to do.

9. 2935ford

2935ford

Do you have a spring shop in your area......that's who made mine.

10. Fordors

Fordors

Reversing yours at home can be done but it does increase the center to center of the eyes. That will put the shackles closer to vertical and with suspension travel the spring might strike the top of the axle. I would buy, or have new main leaves made.

11. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ha! My wife reversed eyes on my '28 front spring on my tub. (NOTE: Reversing eyes will increase the length center to center of the eyes, but we use dead perch on passenger side.)
    THEN, she reversed eyes on both fronts for my F100, as well as de-arching all the leaves for that one, then re-drilled the spring center bolt holes 1-1/2" ahead...shortened 2 leaves per side to 'match' relocations. Result: Nice rake.
    She did all this on a 20 ton Harbor Freight press also, (prior to my changing it to air-over-hydraulic)
    She asked why I didn't save her the trouble and retro the press first.
    I joked, "You needed the biceps!"

ABONES likes this.
  12. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

I ended up ordering Posies Super Slide springs for the front and rear. They say it lowers the car 2.5" front and rear. I've been told I won't see a full 2.5" drop as that's based off the original ride height and the current springs have probably dropped slightly.

I am going to run '35 wires with 700's rear, and 600's front. Hopefully I won't have having issues running those sizes once it's lowered as I already purchased the tires.

Here are some pics of the car with the stock wheels and the '35 wires and new tires. It has not been lowered yet but it looks like I will have the clearance I need... HOPEFULLY!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  13. I replaced the front axle on my '29 with a stock '35, I used '32 spindles and put a reversed eye main leaf in and removed 2 leaf's and that combo got me a 4 " drop with the 6:00 x 16 wheels and tires. Used a stock Model T rear spring with 7:50 x 16's in back.
    113.JPG

alchemy likes this.
  14. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Nice... that makes me feel better. I'd hate to have these tires not fit! My 16 year old daughter and I mounted the 700's today by hand. Took us a while but I think we did ok.

Your car looks great.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    1stGrumpy likes this.