Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Memorial Day weekend

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 24, 2019.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

This is the car I built to honor the veterans in the parade last year carrying a Korean veteran Pete Maddalena . I didn’t know him till he got in my car , what a ride we had.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. raymay

raymay

Today our family remembers an Uncle many of us never got to meet. He became a pilot as a young man and then began studies to become a Doctor. When the War broke out he worked as a civilian trainer for Military Pilots. Often hearing news of those lost in battle including some of the Pilots he had trained, he made the decision to go active Military. Uncle Art Dalberth was a Hump Pilot flying those dangerous night missions over the mountains with fuel and supplies to the troops and bringing the injured back from the battlefields. As a Copilot on one of those missions, their plane went down just shy of the airbase. Uncle Art left a Wife, my Aunt Gail who helped raise me after my Mom passed and his newborn Daughter my cousin Pam who he never got to meet.
    In the 80's some of us visited his grave in Hawaii. Years later the Family got to meet and hear great stories from one of Uncle Art's close friends JW who often served as a Navigator of some of his flights. Rest in Peace Uncle. You will forever be a part of the ultimate sacrifice made by the Men and Women who secured the freedoms our Country enjoys today.

3. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg Let us not forget them !

4. The men & women that serve in our armed forces today do so as a sense of duty and they are acutely aware they are protecting the freedom that our fallen servicemen & women paid the ultimate price for that freedom.

Today we honor those who cannot speak for themselves. HRP

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

everyone needs to take time today to reflect on what this special day of remembrance is all about

AVater, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  6. Deuces

Deuces

To all of those that served... IMG_20171221_200044.jpg
    This one is for you....
    Cheers!

7. Say @raymay, did your uncle ever fly with a man named Del Carlino? He too was an over the hump pilot during the war.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  8. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

My Father was a WW1 vet.He passed in 1994 at the age of 98.Had the honor and privilege of knowing vets from WW1,WW2,and Korea.Not to mention vets who served in the "Banana Wars"and some other nasty spots in the jungles of South and Central America. .They all belonged to the local American Legion post that my Father and his older brother belonged to.I was unable to serve as I am blind in my right eye.God bless all who have served,who are serving now and those who will serve in the future.
    They were a very interesting bunch of Gentlemen to listen to.
    Leo

AVater, chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

We just celebrated a similar day down here to honour our vets on ANZAC day (April 25). Refreshing to see a lot more younger people attending dawn memorial services at major battlefields where many a life was lost to defend our freedom and way of life. I take my hat off to the many brave men and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice and those who were fortunate to return home.
    I was fortunate to see many European WWII war cemetaries in 2018 and felt humbled and honoured by the experience leaving with a lump in my throat. Lots of battlefields; Omaha Beach, Dunkirk, France, Belgium, Italy. Just seeing all those headstones of various nationalities of lives lost, many young, is something I'll never forget. Heading to Hawaii next month to pay my respects at USS Arizona.

Sent from my SM-G973F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  10. Deuces

Deuces

Your a good man stumpy!... ;)

11. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

You served in Nam...You did good Brother!

chryslerfan55, Deuces and AVater like this.
  12. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Thanks deuces! We had a traveling Vietnam wall in town all week went out today rod the closing ceremony, then helped take the wall down. He was to be somewhere in Colorado tomorrow. I will sit out on the patio and have a cold one after supper

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Wishing someone Happy Memorial Day is not the way it should be remembered . It should be a solemn day to remember all of our brothers and sisters who gave the ultimate sacrifice so we can enjoy the freedom that we do.
    I served and lost some good friends . I think about them now and then ,but on this day I consider myself lucky not be with them today. May they all rest in peace.

14. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Celebrate should be remember and rightly so, my bad. It is is a solemn day when we shouldn't celebrate war and death but remember those who served.

Deuces and AVater like this.
  15. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Amen

chryslerfan55 and mgtstumpy like this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Way to go sir!!!!!..... ;)

OLSKOOL57 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

"Memorial Day isn't about honoring veterans, its honoring those who lost their lives. Veterans had the fortune of coming home. For us, that's a reminder of when we come home we still have a responsibility to serve. It's a continuation of service that honors our country and those who fell defending it."
    Pete Hegseth

18. Danny, I had my flag flying and had to work half a day .Boy its hot here this week!Bruce. 001.JPG

ct1932ford, TFoch, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  19. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

I attended the Annual Special Forces Association Memorial Ceremony & Picnic yesterday. The "Final Manifest" started with the names of 6 active duty SF soldiers killed/died this past year followed by 107 names of our comrades that have died since last Memorial Day, many VN vets (the list gets longer each year). I then drove the roadster to the Sandhills Veterans Cemetery on the edge of Fort Bragg to visit my wife's grave & a few old friends. I know more people there than anywhere. RIP

Attached Files:

20. Deuces

Deuces

:(

OLSKOOL57 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Another pic from Memorial Day Air an Car Show Air show n car showA 5 26 2019.jpg

23. Hot in the Smoky's? you should visit the upstate of South Carolina, I ain't saying it's hot but the trees are following the dogs around looking for water! HRP

24. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Fan heat.jpg
    Not really any more then years ago,I'm just more of a wimp now!

mgtstumpy and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. No one has ever "thanked" me for being a farmer before...I don't know what to say but thanks.

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As a veteran and proud to have served this country, I would like to thank everyone who posted on this thread. God bless the USA!

27. Ron Emerson

Ron Emerson

As a proud parent of two boys in the service 1) oldest son is a Pilot in the Air Force, and my middle son is in the Army serving in Afganistan as we speak as a Medic. My hat is off to all that served and have served.
    " GOD BLESS THE U.S.A." and all the VETERANS That have served and of all the men and women that have helped us live a secure life.
    Thanks to all.
    Ron Emerson.

28. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Thank your sons for their service to this fantastic country!

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.