Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 292 Y-block & C4

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John D. Lampke, May 26, 2019.

1. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

I have 1960 Ford with a 292. I want to build the 292 to get at least 300 hp, but still be something I'd drive around town on a daily basis. I don't mind spending a few bucks on it. Here's the kicker; I want to use a Ford C4 transmission from an '81 Mustang. I want to keep the 292 because that's what the vehicle came with new, and I love the sound of a 292. I want to use a C4 because I happen to have a good used one available. Am I dreaming, or is this reasonably doable? Has anybody here done this? Thanks.

Center of the Galaxie likes this.
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I seem to recall that the 292 was used in cars up to the mid '70s in Argentina.... I don't know what transmission they used, but who knows, maybe C4s?

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Why not keep the Ford a matic that’s should be in it?

Bones

4. If you're going to go with an adaptor, do a AOD rather than the C4. Otherwise you'll be spending money for no real gain... If you're trying to save money (rebuild the OEM box vs using a C4), keep in mind that the C4 adaptor kit is $600 plus a new starter.

And truthfully, in that heavy car I'd swap to a FE for the torque, plus it'll be cheaper to hit your wanted HP level.

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Getting 300hp out of a 292 is going to be pricey. The 312 with a Paxton supercharger was an even 300hp.

6. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

Hi, it came with a manual transmission. I bought the C4 because I assumed it would be better, since it's a later design.

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Look at the adapter from Flat O Products. It's a good kit, includes a bell housing, for a starter look at the mini high torque starters.
    That's the kit I'm using.

8. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

Ok, care to take a guess as to how pricey (ballpark)? I'm thinking quality professional rebuild using higher-end components, twin 4-barrels, electronic ignition, headers, and maybe convert to an alternator. All comments are welcomed!

9. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

Are you going with a 292 and a C4?

10. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

To be honest, I'm more concerned with reliability and drivability than price. I do want the 292 to be able to beat the average car on the road....

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, my 292 has a 312 crank and was built by Tim McMaster.
    The end result is 309 cubic inches. Tim built it with a mild cam and balanced it and ported the heads with big valves installed as well.

ffr1222k and dana barlow like this.
  12. PackardV8

PackardV8

Yes, you're dreaming. No matter how many bucks you spend on it, 300 horsepower from a normally aspirated 2x4 bbl 292" ain't happening without so much cam and compression it would be a rough daily driver. To pull a 3800# car, you need torque, gears and more gears. As horsepower of small displacement engines go up, it's at the top end and relative low speed torque goes down.

Agree with the suggestion to consider the use of the Paxton and build a clone of the unobtanium 1957 F-code. It will still be a fun ride and will keep up with most of the traffic.

Just a thought, but Ford realized by 1958 their cars had outgrown the Y-block, so the FE was introduced. Another interesting clone would be the rare Thunderbird 352 Super V-8 360hp available in your 1960. They featured an open-element air filter, an aluminum intake manifold, a solid-lifter cam, and header-style exhaust manifolds. I'd cheat and build it with a modern cam and a 428" or 390" block.

Hi-Po 1960 cars got heavy-duty, 3-inch-wide front brakes, a 3-inch driveshaft, and heavy-duty front springs, five-leaf rear springs, heavy-duty shocks, and a 0.62-inch front stabilizer bar and flame-cut and welded 5" wide Kelsey-Hayes 15-inch wheels. Again, I'd cheat with 6" Ford station wagon wheeels. I had a friend with a Starliner 360hp and the Borg-Warner T85 3-speed overdrive. He never lost a street race against Chevy 348"s and the girls loved the look of the hardtop.

jack vines

Last edited: May 27, 2019
    John D. Lampke likes this.
  13. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

14. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here’s most of what you need to know about performance yblocks. Ted’s site has many different combinations.

The aluminum heads are over $2500 for starters. There are no multi carb setups that make more hp than a Blue Thunder or a Mummert single 4 manifold, and all those are pretty pricey. 312 cranks to build a stroker (or steel truck cranks) more rare and more pricey.

I’m a y block guy, I’ve run two supercharged, one with efi, always in light cars. Do a little homework and pricing, but I’m thinking in your case the FE is the best choice.

http://www.eatonbalancing.com/

John D. Lampke and dana barlow like this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

had a '60 Ford Galaxie with a 352/2 barrel - gutless wonder - could not imagine a 292 trying to do any better - since you are not going to keep everything stock and plan to pull motor to rebuild might as well find something with a bit of HP already built in

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  16. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

The 312 T bird Special, in 1956-7 had 245 Horsepower, if I remember correctly. My Dad rebuilt one in 1964, basically stock and put it in our 1956 pickup. It had awesome torque. I would have to assume that if you improved on that base Y-block, with electronic ignition modern cam, 600 or so carb, the new repop exhaust headers, you would improve on that 245 horsepower rating. Bolt that to the Ford a matic, should move the car, fairly well.

Bones

17. Then why on earth would you want to put in a C4? Fast fix? Get a Ford toploader 4-speed out of a '64 Ford car with the narrow trans pattern, it's a bolt-up to your 292, and these turn up regularly. They're not popular because they don't fit the '65-up motors. But if it has a T85 3-Speed, there's nothing wrong with that one either...

Better yet, find a T85 with the B-W OD behind it; performance and fuel mileage in one package, and it's traditional!

18. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

Ok, going with the Paxton, and keeping cam and compression down to where it runs smooth at idle, am I getting close?

dana barlow likes this.
  19. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

dana barlow likes this.
  20. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

I wanted to install an automatic. I already have one with a manual transmission. Texting and driving are nearly impossible with a manual. I'm joking, of course. I do have a '60 with a manual, but I prefer an automatic.

dana barlow likes this.
  21. ahshoe

ahshoe

So the narrow 4 speed bolt pattern 62 or 64 trans /bellhousing works spline length and spline count etc.bolts onto a Y block...like the 272 ,1956 Y block too.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This works for me.. I had a 1962 Ford Thunderbird medium case true 3-speed Cruise-O-Matic installed behind my 292 and it changed the car completely. I would definately install a C-4 and it's been done a lot. I would get a kit like John Mummert sells which includes a complete bellhousing so you don't need an adapter. Benstens sells adapters to put any GM trans to a 292 including a 200R4. I also changed the rear end to get 2.74 gears and with the 3 speed the 292 pull it just fine..Good Luck.. DSC00195.JPG

John D. Lampke and ffr1222k like this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The kit Mummert sells is a Flat O products kit.
    Instead of the middle man I ordered mine directly from Gene at Flat O.

John D. Lampke and jimmy six like this.
  24. Tedd

Tedd

25. sunbeam

sunbeam

Or you could go with one of these used one in a 55 ford worked great https://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmissi...837119?hash=item46138ecfbf:g:-ZAAAOxySy9SQyUu

26. John D. Lampke

John D. Lampke

Tim McMaster is going to do the build for me. I will probably go with the Blue Thunder aluminum intake and aluminum Mummert heads.

Still shooting for 300+ hp. What’s the best carburetor for this application? What’s the best electronic ignition for this project?

Also, I plan to toss the generator and install an alternator. What would be the best Ford alternator for this project? Thanks.

27. 62rebel

62rebel

Odd... I had a 60 Starliner with the same engine and it was no slouch. Had a ticket from Florida Highway Patrol for 102 to prove it.

Beanscoot likes this.
  28. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The adapter kit for a C4 or AOD will cost the same but the AOD has the .67 overdrive that can knock your highway cruise RPM about 800-1000 less which will take a lot of strain off your y-block,you can see both kits here: https://transmissioncenter.net/?product-category=aod&product-tag=adapters You can also do a CHAT with them if you have more questions.