Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Have you ever agonized about what color to paint you project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 25, 2019.

1. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It can be agonizing but I always go for a factory color on 40's or black.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

How many of you guys are colorblind like me? I have what they call a red-green deficiency, I have trouble distinguishing greens and browns and some reds. Kinda embarrassing when you put on a green shirt and brown pants, that's why I stick to colors that I recognise well, blues, yellows, blacks, silvers. We bought an OT Explorer one time, I swore it was blue, wife said it was green, it looked different to me during different times of the day and different lighting.

It's not that I don't see certain colors, I just see them different than other folks. I read somewhere that half the male population of the US is colorblind, but doesn't know it!

KoolKat-57 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. I can never make a decision. I have paint that I bought years ago and still haven't decided to use it because I keep changing my mind. I knew I wanted my 56 to be yellow or orange but I wanted my Vette to be blue.....then painted it red. I wanted my truck to be blue....then painted it black. I wanted the 32 I got from you HRP to be blue...but its still red. Blue is my favorite color and I have nothing painted blue....I just can't decide.:mad:

427 sleeper and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  4. The old Deuce would rock blue, do it! HRP

5. (7)Bonnie & 32 coupe.jpeg Yeah, I was thinking Washington Blue. But I need to tear it apart first and I am putting that off still.
    An example of a bad color choice...people kept calling it pink....it was Champagne!

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

They look good with skirts.
    upload_2019-5-26_20-13-36.jpeg

joeycarpunk likes this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Sorry, no skirts on mine. I have a set, the attaching hardware is all rusted up, but I like it better without them anyways. I'm just not a big fan of skirts on anything.

mcsfabrication and 56don like this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Lately I'm recreating cars that roamed my neighborhood in my youth ('62-'65) so the colors are pretty much dictated by the those cars and that makes it easy. I'm not really a red guy so painting my '56 Matador Red was kind of a "drop it off, give them the paint code and see what happens. It's growing on me.
    My mild custom '60 T-bird gave me some grief. I knew the color, a Honda emerald pearl green, but there was several similar versions with different codes. On top of that there were several different clears that influenced the final appearance. Some added a bluish cast in the sunlight that I really didn't like. The painter worked with me spraying a bunch of test parts and we finally got it. He had never noticed how different clears could change the look with the same base.

9. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I know what colors I want my car to be. My 64 Camino I would like to put back to the original Aqua, rather than the red it has had all the years I've owned it.

My Henry J would love to be a gold flake base with a candy orange over it. It has told me so in the darkness of night when I'm the only one in the garage. However, Black Rustoleum is so much more practical for a race car that only has to look good from the stands, so it is.

Devin

10. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

When I started my '32 5 window project, the wife insisted that I finish it. I have a habit of getting them drivable, primer or old paint and enjoying them until somebody needs to own it worse than I do. I have only had 2 painted play cars, everything else was primer basically.

I agreed and to decide on paint colors, I built a series of 1/25 scale Revell '32 Ford 5 windows. The first was the tan one, then the 2 black ones (one flat head AG body with a heavier chop and the other Y block). I had decided they needed to be more realistic than out of the box with engine/wheel changes.

When I got my chassis home from Pete and Jakes, I modeled that chassis on the next 2 cars. The red one and the green one. I also chopped the tops on those 2 builds 3 scale inches. Now I had more accuracy in my build.

Black was nice but how many black '32's are out there? Same for the red one, looks great but overdone. The tan was still my favorite until I found the sage green paint. Mixed some dark gray in with it to tone it down a bit and came up with a contrasting color. We had a winner.

That's how I decided on my color and what should be painted what. Takes a lot of the indecision out of things when you can look at it in 3D from all angles and it's a lot cheaper to change your mind.

SPark

scalegreen8.jpg IMG_6992.JPG IMG_6993.JPG IMG_6994.JPG IMG_6995.JPG IMG_6996.JPG IMG_6997.JPG IMG_6998.JPG IMG_6999.JPG IMG_7001.JPG IMG_7002.JPG IMG_6727.JPG DSCN5067.JPG IMG_0239.JPG IMG_5260.JPG paint42.jpg engine17.jpg paintW4.jpg paintw16.jpg paintw17.jpg paintw18.jpg paint31.jpg paintW10.jpg rear3.png front2.png

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Yeah, Im not always a fan of skirts but certain cars seem to look better with them than others.
    Chop,skirts and slightly lower in the back just in case you ever wander what it might look like, just for fun.
    upload_2019-5-27_8-39-35.png

joeycarpunk likes this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Neat photochop. Still like it better without them.

low budget likes this.

13. Where did you get a model kit which is that detailed? It looks good.

14. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

The Revell kits are pretty nice. I changed a lot of the frame structure, added tubing and created a triangulated 4 bar to replicate my P&J chassis. Here is a shot of a stock out of the box chassis 9with different tires) in those kits. There is a 5 window, 3 window, 2 door sedan, custom woodie and a roadster in that series.
    SPark

IMG_1154.JPG IMG_1155.JPG IMG_1156.JPG

41 coupe and 56don like this.
  15. 61gasser

61gasser

Beautiful truck, gorgeous colors. We sat up in the seats, after walking around a few times, and just talked about favorites and whatnot. The color of your truck came up a lot!

Black_Sheep likes this.
  16. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

No decision worries. Car gets painted whatever color mistake paint is sitting on the shelf in the back of the paint supplier. My 55 got a kinda off turquoise and a creamy white that wasn't on any paint chart.

Frankie47 likes this.
  17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black. Yeah... shiny black.
    Wait. Really dark blue that looks almost black.
    Wait. Really dark black cherry... almost black.
    Wait. All one color, or a white top?
    What about under the hood and the chassis? Black as usual? Gloss or satin?
    Wait. How about all red underneath... a nice accent to the black cherry body.
    Wait. A white firewall, maybe?
    Wait...

A very pleasant Memorial Day to everyone.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

One color I will never do is black, no matter whether it is flat, satin or gloss! I didn't have too much trouble choosing to paint my 58 red and white, but choosing which red was the challenge, now to get it done to be ready to actually paint it is my biggest problem!

19. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

The only color I paint my cars is red. Renaissance red. The Army has the green, the fire department and I have the red. Case closed

20. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

21. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

Absolutely - am currently agonizing over painting my 55 Merc Montclair (soon to be off-frame restored) which is original Carousel Red/White two tone to Persimmon/White two tone. I was on a factory tour in 55 to watch my dad's Merc being built in those colors, and after searching for twenty five plus years, finally found the 100% factory original California car as a start. Had a 56 in those colors, but it wasn't the same.
    I have a blank data plate to stamp with the correct build/trim codes, but I will never part with the car - especially in the new colors, so no big deal. My friends tell me I'm crazy, but it's my car and I want a clone of my dad's.
    What do you guys think??

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  22. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

Good choice!

Black_Sheep likes this.
  23. gene-koning

gene-koning

I paint every ride I've had the last 20 years with a farm implement oil base paint. Its usually good for about 4 years and then needs to be repainted. If I don't like the color, I can change it in about 4 years.

The new project was going to be orange the first time I saw the AC orange. The coupe has been blue and white since it was first painted, and its due for a repaint. I'm thinking about changing the color but just can't decide what the new two tone colors should be, there isn't a lot of color choices in the implement paint...Gene

24. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

Shit....ive started threads on the HAMB agonising about colours....

25. For my long term F-1 project I actually bought paint 4 times (almost 5)before settling on the current Land Rover green. Luckily I have enough projects to use it all if I ever finish them.
    It was to be classic cream, acqua (yeah, I know, it was the eighties), black, Meadow green and Mercedes green.

26. I redid an OT 70's Ford truck that was yellow. I didn't want to paint it yellow again...but I didn't want to mess with painting the door jambs and interior metal surfaces either. Finally bit the bullet and painted the interior white and the exterior 2-tone green and white.

27. MantulaMan

MantulaMan

I've always tried to keep or restore cars to their original colour. The problem is that I do the work myself and I am only really comfortable doing cellulose paint as it allows me to flat and polish. The problem I have with my current car is that the original colour was a metallic one and single stage metallic is problematic as you can't flat and polish it. I think I've taken the decision to paint it a solid colour that is as close as possible to the original shade. Going for pastel turquoise bit currently undecided whether or not to do a stripe down the centre of the car. It would look cool but I'm worried people will think I'm trying to make it look like a Daytona Coupe rather than just cool in its own right....[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

28. goldmountain

goldmountain

Struggling with whether or not the car's basic hot rod genes are good enough that I can get away with this really ugly blue metallic paint that I got for free. After all, even with it being free, that is still a lot of work to do. The shape and stance of the car can sometimes make a questionable color acceptable.

29. slobroy

slobroy

Bahama blue 85 gmc color it reached and grabbed me

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Sounds like it is time to make a request on the photoshop thread s you can get a good visual image of what it will look like!