Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Paint and labor cost how has that changed your perspective

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, May 26, 2019.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Since base coat/clear coat having taken over as the preferred painting method and the rise in cost and labor has it dramatically changed your approach to building and finishing your project ? Do you do more yourself in the building and or painting?

2. pkhammer

pkhammer

Yeah, that's why I don't put pretty paint on anything anymore. I never was the type that enjoyed washing, waxing and polishing anyway. Last nice paint job I had done (on my '64 Falcon two years ago) a gallon of paint cost me over $1,100. Thank goodness I have an A1 body and paint buddy that only charges me $25 bucks an hour.

3. brokedownbiker

brokedownbiker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finished an OT truck in 2011 and the body/paint ran $1500 total- it only needed one little dent fixed, otherwise it was laser straight and was painted in a single stage flat black. My last build ('66 Mustang) was finished about 3 years ago in a solid yellow with white stripes and the body and paint work set me back $7500. The car I'm working on now is a 1951 Ford sedan and it will wearing black primer for the foreseeable future. Unless I build a booth and learn to paint and that is unlikely to say the least.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m my own paint and body guy.
    The only way I could afford to build my RPU was to do everything myself.
    And I mean everything. Except chrome plating of course.

anothercarguy, patterg2003 and fauj like this.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

X2. I'd even try my own chrome plating if I had the stuff to do it with!

6. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Same here, do it all myself too. The price of paint has gotten ridiculous and I figure that's why you see less and less finished custom paint cars.

It's like anything, you have big companies (insurance) and body shops charging more, paint companies raising prices because insurance companies will pay until you price the little guy out. Just like drug companies.

williebill likes this.
  7. hoodwinx454

hoodwinx454

X3 I also try to do everything myself. I’ve also come to grips with the fact that it doesn’t have to be perfect but the best thing is to get out and enjoy your car and share it with other car guys.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Binkman

Binkman

Like many of the others I do it all myself, no chrome (the EPA put them all out of business.)
    I am in the middle of doing my very last build.
    I paint with Centari and used Lebaron Bonney for the interior.
    Lebaron Bonney took my deposit money and went under, so I am out almost 2,000 bucks.
    The materials so far for painting the '34 so far are about 1500.00 and I have not even shot color yet.
    The cost of building is out of hand and if you have it done professionally it is aboslutely insane.
    I estimate I will have about 25K in a car that might get 20K from a motivated buyer.
    This will have a profound effect on the hobby in my opinion.
    Everything is expensive, groceries, materials, gas at 4.25, etc.
    I have been doing one or two cars a year for a while but don't feel comfortable knowing I will be losing money from the outset. Breaking even is OK, I love doing it but now I am retired and need to watch the $$$ more closely.
    I have all the '34's I ever wanted now except for a sedan delivery and a woody but will buy them already done if I find one that speaks to me.
    It's been interesting and it's been fun. I have met a lot of great people and gone fun places.
    A guy can't ask for much more than that.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don't see anyone bitching about cranks, pistons , machine work ect... LOL Lippy

10. I do my own or I have traded for metal work
    I have several friends that paint but don’t do metal work. I paint but prefer metal work.
    However, I’m a big fan of building a chassis and leaving the outside alone. I don’t get paid to do my own paint and body work. It’s very labor intensive to fit, gap and block. Then all the detail.
    Make em go and enjoy
    As an investment or return issue, this is a more profitable or brake even method.
    I love finished and painted hot rods as long as someone else owns it.

11. squirrel

squirrel

The cars I have that need painting, they get off brand acrylic enamel, and I do it myself. It's good enough.

and the cars that don't need to get painted, don't get painted. Or get any bodywork. I'm getting to where leaving it alone is fine with me.

12. The labor costs never concerned me because I have never paid anyone to do anything to one of my cars other than machine shop engine work and a couple of seat upholstery jobs.
    But paint......wow! There is a scam going on around that. I can order lacquer or enamel online for $60-100 a gallon or buy bc/cc at the local autobody paint store for $600-1000. Guess which one I did? I can't imagine what a body man might charge to strip to the metal, get it straight and apply the paint process.

wvenfield likes this.
  13. BigChief

BigChief

I've always done everything myself too....but with a good strip and paint and nice interior running nearly 20k if you farm it out and 1/2 that if you don't makes looking for finished cars more attractive every day.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ffr1222k and always be closing like this.
  14. Always remember this when purchasing paint. The high end base coats have the most technical support for matching colors in the collision industry.
    We mostly paint all overs so that technology is not needed
    No need to pay for something ya don’t need

joeycarpunk likes this.
  15. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

That's why I buy the cheap enamel myself. I've painted two, an OT Maverick and a OT big Dodge 11 person window van with paint from www.paintforcars.com and gotten good results. They have about 15 or 20 colors, no special mixes or shades, and are well below the national brands price wise. Maybe it's not super firestorm passionate red with purple undertones, but so what? It seems to be good paint, lays down good, makes it all one color, and protects if from the elements, what more could you ask for a car meant to be driven, not stored in a climate controlled environment? Any decent paint is better than rust IMHO....

16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

I'm sure we all remember the paint verses patina thread... I own both for good reasons . I enjoy daily driving a hot rod but I also enjoy taking out my Sunday driver too.

17. BJR

BJR

I do all my own bodywork and paint. Couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it. The cost of materials is insane.

ffr1222k likes this.
  18. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Since 1999 I have only purchased cars w/paint & bodywork that I can live with . For me it ( paint & bodywork ) is cost prohibitive . I do almost all of the mechanical work myself . That keeps me busy & happy enough !

ffr1222k likes this.
  19. Yes cost has changed what products I use
    I’m not paying 300+ for a name brand epoxy (not for personal stuff anyway)
    I have discovered lower cost products that work very well
    I have used several products from the HAMBs PaintGuru. Everything has performed great and I didn’t fund a big named paint company’s race team
    However, there is no spacific warranty
    But most big name paint manufacturers are not warrantying products used on vintage cars.

20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Still in gel coat.
    :(

ffr1222k and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking at it a bit that 150 I paid for paint and materials in 1973 would be 886.70 now but I was making 3.5 an hour in 1973 plus a br20.69 ake bonus on mechanic work and parts that the store sold. That 3.50 is 20.69 Now. Not big money by any stretch.
    That 30 something a gallon paint was pretty spendy for me in 1973 two weeks before the Street rod Nationals in Tulsa.
    I'll have to rat hole money and sell off some stuff this time to get it painted but I'll manage .

H380 and firstinsteele like this.
  22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I sort of have to be a primer guy but i would maybe shoot some enamel on a future project. All the paint money can be more useful applied to suspension parts and go fast goodies. Reality has hit a paint job out of the park for me . Some may know I have a parts collection addiction so I can enjoy a lot of swap meets keeping with primer.:D

23. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I like buying :D

24. goldmountain

goldmountain

I find myself in this whole painting problem at the moment also. The car is all torn apart for bodywork and paint and I'm stuck wondering what to do. Can't afford to get someone else to do it and try to do everything myself and it has a long time since I tried painting anything and technology has changed dramatically. Basically, I am looking to you guys on the HAMB for guidance. Really enjoyed Blue One's stories on his homemade spray booth and turbine HVLP. I bought a used Lemmer turbine HVLP and his spray booth setup looks to be ideal for my front garage. Porkandbeener's rant on the high cost of paint has me searching for alternative sources. Cloverdale paint seems to have good prices but the guy at the counter says the government won't let him sell to me but if I can find a farmer with an account with them, no problem. My next door neighbor who is a house painter says he will check with his supplier. My neighbor across the back alley is willing to lend me his fresh air respirator setup.
    On the plus side, the internet - especially Youtube has been a great help. Before this, I just had the magazines and the locals to help. I chopped the top on my '47 Plymouth back in 1980 or so going by information on a Street Rodder article from 1978 and while the photos and text were well done, left a lot of gaps as to what to do. Guys are doing this work in real time on Youtube. The other great advance has been cheap tools. Now I have a HF English wheel, cleco clamps. You can read about hitting the metal off-dolly but it doesn't really tell you how hard to hit and what it really does. Now I know.
    Presently, I am waiting for a guy I met at the swap meet years ago for his paint stripping expertise and hopefully will get back to documenting all this on my old build thread.

41rodderz likes this.
  25. about $7.00 for paint, a brush and a few hours of labor...
    55 Chev pu 1rst drive 5-7-19 001.jpg

Lone Star Mopar, lewk, Jibs and 8 others like this.
  26. I use a brush and Tekaloid paint. The paint is produced by a UK company called Craftsmaster Paints and is high quality and UV stable. Costs about £40 to give chassis, running gear and body work three coats. I had everything blasted and epoxy sprayed first and then prepped as if I was going to spray it. Looks different from a spray finish, car guys can tell it’s not sprayed but most people are amazed it was done with a brush.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. I was going to just leave mine unpainted "patena" . Family persuaded me to paint. Maaco was cheaper than buying materials and equipment. That was in 2009. Still pleases me and gets thumbs up.

Ben

28. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've done almost all the body and frame work so far on my 46 Olds however I reluctantly need to farm out some metal work as I don't have the tools and my old injuries make it hard. In saying that I dread buying the paint etc as I need so much of it however, I plan to do almost all the prep and rubbing down etc and then hire a booth and get a friend to lay down the colour. I'll probably regret it as I'll be in a world of pain afterwards but I'm not paying anyone else to do what I want to do. At least it'll be 99% done by me when completed. It could be my last builder car depending on how I fare at the end both physically and mentally.:rolleyes:

Slowcarfix likes this.
  29. BJR

BJR

Why not spray it in Lacquer? That must be what you used before "technology changed". It still looks and works great and is available most places unless you live in California.

30. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My 32 sedan has shiny paint but I will never have a shiny car again. I don't like polishing and waxing and you get pissed every time you see a chip or scratch. I'll take a patina or satin car anytime.

INVISIBLEKID and 41rodderz like this.