Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods model a fuel system

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, May 25, 2019.

1. sdluck

sdluck

When you guys are replacing your fuel tank how are you figuring fittings and lines. I am running hilborn's and need a return line to my surge tank on my Model A

2. sdluck

sdluck

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey SD, does this mean you're getting close to fire up time?

4. Depends on what and where the tank is. You didn't give us that info. You said both Fuel tank and Surge tank. How and where are they? Personally I'd want my return to the Fuel Tank and the fitting as low in it as possible so to not aireate the fuel. That said I have actually seen guys put a fitting in the fill tube so they wouldn't have to weld a fitting in a tank. I don't think I'd do that myself. Pending your separation you could put a T in the feed line from the tank and the surge tank.

5. sdluck

sdluck

plan is tank is in the rear then electric fuel pump then filter then surge tank then to belt driven pump up to injection with returns to sump tank

6. Return line needs to be behind the Electric purge pump into the Fuel tank. Other wise you'll be adding return pressure into feed pressure causing actual feed issues at the nozzles.

7. I'm assuming after start up you'll be shutting off the electric pump?

8. sdluck

sdluck

9. sdluck

sdluck

The electric pump is to keep the surge tank full only,the holley float bowl is to shut off the flow of fuel to the surge tank when it is full

10. sdluck

sdluck

No just trying to get the fuel system plumb and then brake system,then send the frame out for powder coat,but I will let you know when I do. It will have a 3310 holley on it until it is broken in.

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  11. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

I would like to agree with sdluck’s suggestion to add a small surge tank with a Holley float adapted to it but that’s if you have the room . Usually mounted behind the radiator at the left or right front of engine. Mount it high enough to gravity feed the mechanical pump when shut off is opened. Use a -8 or -10 AN fittings and line from bottom of surge tank to pump .
    The great part of a surge tank is the electric pump at the rear tank can be left on and the float in the surge tank up front will regulate the volume as needed. The second and most important fact is your bypass lines will be short since they will bypass direct ally to the surge tank . Us AN-6 lines from the pump to the barrel valve and from the main and secondary bypass lines back to the top of the surge tank.. Many have tried sending the fuel all the way back to the tank that usually involves pushing the gas uphill and that is where the problems start . The weight of the gas causes a over rich condition at the nozzles that then require a larger bypass pill and then creates a lean condition at the nozzles.
    If it’s a street hot rod in gas then running the surge tank is the more street friendly way to go. It is true that sprint cars run the fuel all the way back to the tank but they run on alcohol fuel and are not as sensitive as a gasoline street rod.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think the first street system I ever saw like this was your buddie Augies' 66 Nova.

13. sdluck

sdluck

DDD how is you fuel system plumbed?

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pretty basic really, single Holley carb, mech. fuel pump, and adjustable return style Holley regulator, stock style deuce tank.

20160118_092513.jpg 20160126_122854.jpg

15. sdluck

sdluck