Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest When was the last time you got a warning or a ticket?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 26, 2019.

1. About 1980 or so. I blew past a road block on a back road in Missouri got stopped about 50 yards down the road. I knew one of the state cops that were running the road block, he walked up to me as I was backing up and said, "You don't want to go back there Benno" Then he said, "Got to write something here and look in your uh under your uh, well where is a good place to look." I said, "Well Trooper Hemphill there is an open half pint under the seat." He said "well you can't have an open jug in the truck," then reached in and pulled the bottle out from under the seat. I said, "Well surely to gawd you don't thank [SIC] I been a drinking before 9 in the mornin'" He laughed and winked and said, "Nope that is why I am giving you a warning," He put the bottle in the bed of the truck and handed me my warning ticket.

loudbang, 54delray and Deuces like this.
  2. Ah, tickets.... I've had a real talent for getting 'weird' ones over the years, usually some sort of defective equipment deal where the LEO was stretching the envelope. Speeding tickets, not so much; not because I didn't deserve them, but because they didn't get a clean clocking on me... :rolleyes: My 'favorite' top two incidents... These are long stories, bear with me...

The first one was in the early '70s. Me and a couple of buddies were all working swing shift at the time, so we got off work about the time the bars closed. We managed to get some refreshments before the time cut-off of 2 AM, so went back to my place to 'party'. We quickly got bored, and decided to drive to Ocean Shores from Tacoma... at 3 AM. So we load up into my buddies '65 VW Beetle and head out. I'm driving because it was agreed that I do better than the other two given our 'condition'. Now in those days (before the population explosion of the '80s), there wasn't much traffic and you could be quite literally the only car on the road. So off we go...
    We make through Olympia and Aberdeen without incident, we're on the last long straight before you turn off for the ocean. Haven't seen another car for at least an hour, but there's one coming towards us. The guy 'flashes' me (I have the hi-beams on), I go to dim the lights but don't realize that the dimmer switch is on the turn stalk, I'm stomping on the floor trying to find the switch with no results. I get flashed several more times, the car goes past, it's a sheriff... great. He turns and pulls me over. Then the weirdness starts...
    First, there's three of them in the car; really, at 4 AM? All three get out, come up and start shining their lights in the windows. One comes to my window, asks for my license and registration, I give him my license and ask the owner (who's in the back seat) where's the registration? He says 'under the dash' (he had one of those accessory 'trays' under there, packed full with paper and other misc crap..). So I ask the LEO if he'd shine his light in there and I'd try to find it. I rummage around, find something with the make/model/license on it, hand it to the LEO. They disappear back to their car. And did I mention those guys are acting weird? I could hear the other two talking, I suspected they may have been 'partying' too...
    They're back there 20 minutes, 'conferring' over the registration (I see them in the mirror taking turns looking at it). Finally the one comes to the window, hands me back the piece of paper and says... 'Uhhh, this is an overtime parking ticket'... We burst out laughing... Ok, I hunt some more and find the real registration. This satisfies him, and he finally says 'Do you know why I pulled you over?' I answer, yes, because I failed to dim, and explain I didn't know where the switch was. He goes 'OK, show me' and walks to the front of the car. I dim the lights... and of course, one of the low beams is burned out... o_O So I get a defective equipment ticket. But the story isn't over...
    I decide this was a chickensh!t ticket and take it to court. I get there, and there's only four people present; me, the LEO, the court clerk, and the judge. We all sit there in silence as the judge looks the file over. Finally he looks up, and addressing me says 'Sir, you're free to go'. I say 'What? I'm done?' 'Yes sir, you're free to go'. As I'm walking out, I hear the judge say 'Officer, if you'll step up here I'll show you how you're supposed to fill out a ticket...' :eek::D

The other one was in the mid-80s. Me and two other electricians were carpooling to work, it was my day to drive. I'm blasting along at about 15 over, go around a corner and pass a WSP car going the other way. OK, I know he didn't get a clocking as I was in sight for only a second or two, but it's obvious I'm speeding. Sure enough, he turns around, catches me and lights me up; I pull over.
    The odd thing is there's two of them; the rule is one trooper per car. But it quickly becomes obvious that he's training a rookie, as I hear him telling the other on how to approach, etc. So I hand over license and registration to the rookie, they check me out, he comes back to the window. We exchange pleasantries.. How fast were you going.. Gee, I don't know, we're going to work... blah, blah.. He knows he's not getting any traction on that, so he looks at my windshield.... A quick sidebar: This was my work truck, and the windshield in it had 40+ separate cracks/chips in it (I'd counted them once), but none of them were in my direct line-of-sight. The reason for all of those was the county in those days when 'paving' the rural roads used chip-seal (oil/gravel) and you couldn't keep a windshield in a vehicle out there. So unless a chip or crack interfered with 'seeing', I'd leave 'em in.
    So he looks at the windshield, and says 'That glass is pretty bad, isn't that a safety issue?' and I reply, 'It's clear where I look, and I live in Yelm'. He starts to say something more, but the other trooper interrupts him... 'He lives in Yelm, the glass is OK'... we start laughing, the rookie says slow down and have a nice day... :D

loudbang, Deuces and Murphy32 like this.
  3. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Never have gotten a ticket or a warning, god knows that I deserved my share over the years. Damnit, probably just jinxed myself.

loudbang and Deuces like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sometime in the early 80s was the last ticket, during our long national 55mph nightmare. Interstate highway. Clear sun shiny day, good dry road. I think it was 65mph ticket.

Pointing out that I was simply going with the flow of traffic caused the Trooper to really start pinging, for some reason he really didn't like that at all, you'd think I pushed his grandmother down the stairs or something.

Once I got out west in our Very Large Square State area, I was running around 70 or so and suddenly out of the blue came upon a Highway Patrol parked strategically in the median. My adrenaline spiked big time, but he didn't even look up from his newspaper. At the time it was a $5 fine, payable on the spot for - get this - "wasting energy".

5. raymay

raymay

I have had a couple tickets since with my daily driver pickup truck but in 1993 I did get stopped for speeding in my 37 Chevy Streetrod. We were traveling to Columbus with friends for the Streetrod Nationals. I was passing a tractor/trailer near Angola, NY on the Thruway when a trooper pulled me over. She said she had her laser set on 70 which is what the truck was doing and that I was going 71. I had my Family in the car and politely told her that when passing the truck I was paying attention to his left front wheel and not my speedometer. She not only gave me a ticket but my buddy driving behind me with his Family in their 29 Dodge got one for going faster than me. Despite our tickets, we had a nice weekend and I commissioned another Arlen Olsen painting with our speedy Chopped Sedan and a 37 Chevy Kingcab Pickup I designed and was building . On our way home within 2 miles of my house I got stopped again on the expressway by one of our Town Police. It did not matter that the little Ford wagon passing everyone weaving in and out of traffic scooted of the exit just behind the cop, I was the one he chose to pull over. I always knew my speedometer was a few miles off and did try to pay attention to that. I ended up getting everything calibrated and the little speedometer gear box they made up is still on the car today. I showed the receipt for the calibration to both courts and got my tickets and fines reduced. My kids now in their 40's still talk about our car trips and never let me forget that I got 2 tickets in the same weekend.

11-24-2013_009.JPG IMG_6541.JPG

Deuces likes this.
  6. Last month, warning with no ticket, "get your tail lights fixed"

Deuces likes this.
  7. George

George

Got pulled over in an O/T Aussie Falcon Ute on the Power Tour in Indiana some years ago. Someone reported the driver was crocheting while driving. Didn't take long to figure out the "driver" wasn't driving. Never been pulled over in my hot rods.

loudbang, JasonLM, 37hotrod and 2 others like this.
  8. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Slick, in case nobody has told you, "Welcome home." Bien Hoa - 1970

Deuces and 54delray like this.
  9. I racked up a slew of tickets in my youth, mostly dumb things. I had one car registered, it had 2 license plates. I would take one off and put it on my non-registered car when I was debugging it. Got stopped getting gas with it one evening, cop asked about the 1 plate... I am fortunate not have gotten a bunch of tix with that stunt.

With my '67 Impala SS and '68 Mustang GT, they should given me my own parking space in traffic court. I got popped with non DOT tires on the '67 (slicks...), 3 speeding tickets in 18 months with the Mustang. One while I was street racing.

With the '59 Ford, it doesn't attract much attention from the police. I don't horse around with it in town, have the inspection current, 2 license plates as well. It is fairly quiet once I got the Cherry Bombs off it.

Deuces likes this.
  10. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Years back I got pulled over in an O/T sports car at about 2:30 in the morning. I had just gotten back into town and hadn't driven it in a couple weeks. It was about 50 degrees outside and it was running perfect. The road was empty and I wasn't paying attention to my speed, I was just letting it run. As I got closer to town, I saw the lights behind me and pulled over. The officer asked me if everything was alright, then asked if I'd been drinking. I just told him I hadn't driven it in a few weeks and was taking it for a spin. He told me he didn't catch me on radar, but figured I was going at least 120 in a 50. We talked for a little bit, then told me he could tell I wasn't drunk and to slowly drive home and to have a good night.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Deuces likes this.
  11. DAHEMIKOTA

DAHEMIKOTA
    from Tenn

I had a buddy that was like you. He had a dish with a piece of shit glued to it. When he got pulled over, he would hand it to the cop and ask him how it smelled.

12. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

After finally given the opportunity to purchase a 1965 turbocharged Corvair convertible from a club member's widow, I was hauling it from Chicago back to the Detroit area. The "negotiation session" was only about twenty years in the making so I was anxious to get the car home and start the revitalization. While traveling eastbound on the Frank Borman Expressway in Indiana at the posted limit with the Corvair on an open tandem axle trailer, I could see the State Patrol car on my right by an underpass. The 18 wheeler in front of me saw him too and inexplicably hit his brakes. This caused our closing distance to reduce and out came the officer. The trucker kept going and I was on the shoulder of I-80 with my latest project purchase.

The discussion was about following too close. I explained that the truck driver reduced his speed abruptly and that was the reason. I was on my brakes as well and we were both well under the posted limit. It seems that wasn't the real reason for the stop. Turns out the officer was also a Corvair owner and wanted to check out my turbo on the trailer. No tickets. No warnings. He did say that he didn't think another Corvair enthusiast would mind spending a few minutes on the side of the road talking about our mutual hobby...

Deuces, Truck64 and LAROKE like this.
  13. About ten hours ago(11:00 am). "Failure to obey properly placed traffic control device instructions" I answered yes to the Do you know why I pulled you over question and he gave me a break. Nice guy

Deuces likes this.
  14. Perry Hvegholm

Perry Hvegholm

I have a 1970 Challenger convertible that I bought when I was 18 years old. I've had an ongoing love affair with it since then. Being an original purple car, with it's built 440 it is unabashedly in-your-face. It is one of those cars that draws a crowd wherever it goes. Police officers likewise it seems, are not immune to it's charms. I got pulled over a few years after buying it. The cop walked up and said "how you doing?" "Fine" I answered. He walked by my door slowly, headed around the front, pausing to look closely at the car. He walked around to the passenger side and wound up at the passenger door. I had the top down and was looking up at him expecting to hear him address me with whatever infraction I committed.

Instead he continued looking. Without meeting my gaze he said "this is a really nice car". "Thanks" I responded. He finally noticed me staring at him. "Oh...im sorry. You haven't done anything wrong. It's just that i've never actually seen one of these up close. I don't suppose you'd care to sell it?".

I was still using the car as a daily driver in the mid 1990's. I was late for work on morning and hauling arse down a rural road that ran along some pasture land and scattered houses. From out of nowhere a highway patrolman appeared and zeroed in on me. I was probably doing 80 (speed limit 40) and figured I was in for it this time...maybe even reckless driving. I pulled over in resignation. He got out of his cruiser and came up alongside my door...and began yelling at me. "LET ME GUESS? YOU'RE WHAT...FIVE MINUTES LATE FOR WORK??? AND YOU'RE GOING TO RISK DESTROYING A BEAUTIFUL CAR LIKE THIS JUST BECAUSE YOU"RE AFRAID YOUR BOSS WILL BE PISSED OFF AT YOU?? NOT TO MENTION THAT YOU MIGHT HURT SOMEONE ELSE....JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE FIVE MINUTES LATE FOR WORK. SLOW DOWN, GOD DAMMIT!!! (The whole time he was yelling he was walking around the front of the car, looking at it, lol.) He got back into his cruiser and sped off before I even was able to shut my mouth, which was still hanging open.

I was driving my 300 (my avatar) to work early one morning recently. I noticed the highway patrolman, driving a Dodge Charger, creep up behind me. He tailed me for several miles. He got in the lane to my left, almost came alongside me, then slowed and got back behind me. I finally signaled to exit the freeway at the off-ramp that led to my employer. When I took the ramp, the patrolman immediately followed and sped up to place himself right on my rear bumper. I didn't even make it to the bottom of the ramp before he lit me up and I pulled over onto the shoulder. He came up and told me that he was excited that I hadn't signaled my exiting the freeway, as it gave him an opportunity to pull me over and have a closer look at the car. We chatted for a bit about my cars and his Charger patrol car. He was really nice and just wanted to talk cars. Told me it wasn't often he got to get a close look at vintage cars on the highway. I told him that I had signaled the exit, but must have a light out.

I haven't been issued a ticket in one of my classics since I was a kid. In fact, I don't remember ever getting a ticket in the Challenger. Had a 57 Fairlane for a short time. Got a couple of tickets in that car. Had a big block Road Runner. Got a few tickets in that one, too.

Deuces likes this.
  15. Have been booked 4 times over the past 40 yrs in the Dodge........all for speeding, 10-15 kms over the limit.....1st was 1978 at Tarcutta about halfway between Sydney & Melbourne, before the expressway was built, was going to a Vic State Rod Run at Traralgon and apart from slowing down thru the little towns I was low flying, all the 900kms there, next was going to a Xmas party 1980, on the expressway over the Sydney Harbour Bridge..........said Mr Policeman after I had slowly backed up about 200 yards to where he was standing......" I thought you'd seen us here before".......me, "yeh I had but forgot"......He..."oh well....Merry Xmas" as he gave me the ticket......."nice car BTW" were his parting words.......next time 1988 was when the Oz Bi Centennial celebrations were on and I'd met a couple of Yank Marines at a party my sister threw......told them about a Rod Run the next day so I picked them up from Garden Island and off we went, had a great day but didn't see the 60kph roadwork sign, got done for about 70 by the radar........the Marines in the back seat in their best "Yank" accent when we pulled up.........."Hey Man, they can't do that can ?"........."err, yep they can"..........lol.......still didn't ruin the day tho'.......and lastly 4 yrs ago coming back from the local Rod Run, just as I get into the outskirts of town on a dual lane stretch I put the boot in the overtake a guy who was on the inside lane..........Mr Policeman was just cresting the hill coming the other way............lol............I saw him hit the brakes in my mirror and do a neat 180 turn.............."Yeh.....I was a little over the 100kph limit but I was overtaking that guy on the inside"..........."well you were doing 115 so heres your present"...."Gee thanks officer" ..................and this weekend is the same run again..............I think I'll take it easy this weekend.....lol...........Andy Douglas.

Deuces likes this.
  16. Doug B

Doug B

I haven't been pulled over, but I got a parking ticket once...At the Adirondack Nationals in Lake George. ticket.JPG

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    Deuces likes this.
  17. Lil32

Lil32

a few years ago we were leaving a Rod Run in a country town when I was pulled over
    because my front licence plate was not vertical ,cost me $240

n1947b.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  18. brjnelson

brjnelson

The cops never look at this old guy in his old cars, but when I get in my Focus RS daily I get pulled over all the time.

Deuces likes this.
  19. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

You are welcome.

Deuces likes this.
  20. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

You are welcome.

Deuces likes this.
  21. Years ago got a ticket- I was young and tried to talk my way out of it- told the State Trooper I was just keeping up with traffic- he said "Son you were leading the pack!" Got warnings lots of other times with no ticket!

Perry Hvegholm and Deuces like this.
  22. Road Racer

Road Racer

In my DD a few days ago, 85 and climbing for no reason, just spaced out. Felt a "presence" next to me. California's finest giving me a dirty look in a dodge SUV of all things. Thank you Sir, message received!

Truck64 likes this.
  23. cktasto

cktasto

Last year was coming back from doing some hard launches on a deserted country road that i grew up. Was maybe 4 miles from where i’d done a half dozen launches and a CHP pulled me over said someone complained i was scaring the livestock.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

54delray likes this.
  24. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

Thank you.

25. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Last year got a warning for not using my turn signal correctly. That wasn't so bad but when he saw my cwp he about went nuts until I told him I didn't have my gun with me.

26. Commodoreswab

Commodoreswab
    from West TN

I was sitting stopped at a light with a cop behind (59 tbird). After pulling away and going a hundred yards or so the lights came on and he pulled me over. Not having brake lights on when stopped! It made no difference that I tried to explain that the lights aren't on when my foot isn't on the brake. When I asked him if he saw my lights come on when he pulled me over his answer was yes! I was told to get if fixed and he was a nice guy giving me a written warning. I was stopped for not having turn signals in the stock model A roadster (yes I signaled).

27. A few have mentioned the federal mandate to maximum 55 mph during the gas crisis. There is a very long stretch of highway between Las Vegas and Cali. The California Highway Patrol figured out a unique way to enforce 55. Every 15 minutes a CHP patrol car headed down the highway. You could speed for a few minutes but you soon came upon a "caravan" of cars travelling 55 behind the CHP.
    In the mid sixties my Father did some construction for a San Mateo County mechanic. He told of taking the Counties Pontiac 421 over the Nevada border to "test" it against a CHP patrol car to see which was faster as no speed limit in Nevada at that time! Pontiac won.
    About 1969 I bought a 1964 Ford ex-patrol car with Police Intercepted 390. U know the saying: will pass anything but a gas station! I jacked it up with pretty long rear shackles. Garnered lots of attention, some not so desirable! Recieved 3 speeding tickets in one weekend.

28. Yesterday. Makes up for all the times I got away with it...been about 6 yrs since my last "photo ticket"...

Deuces likes this.
  29. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

2E32E704-2773-473B-95A9-67DFE69BCA70.jpeg 8EA16119-D35D-4E21-82EE-F23EFD655667.jpeg Yesterday ☹️‼️ Four of us got warning tickets (good cop) , for 10 mph over the posted speed (65 mph) ‼️‼️ , And a brief road side lecture on safe driving habits , we’re all senior citizens, hahaha ......

Deuces likes this.
  30. ems customer service

ems customer service

SERVANTS IN BLUE-- MORE LIKE ROADSIDE TAX COLLECTORS

Deuces likes this.