Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 324 Rocket Info Needed, Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by foxdbl, May 25, 2019.

1. foxdbl

foxdbl

Good Morning,
    I need the exact valve lifter hole spacing in a '49/'55 Oldsmobile 324 (Rocket) block. All of mine are together right now. I scored the Norris solid roller cam on ebay and Isky needs the info to get the lifter tie bar tie bar length correct on the set of rollers they are supplying.
    Thank You and All the Best to Everyone for the Holiday Weekend, Tom Kidd

2. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Wish that I could help, but mine also put together. If anyone on this sight would know it would likely be "Squirrel". That man is an absolute walking encyclopedia of knowledge about damn near everything auto related! Give he time and he'll most likely answer your question shortly!

foxdbl likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might also try Tony at Ross racing Engines, "GOATROPER02" on here. He builds the best Rockets around.

I'm kinda surprised that Iskendarian doesn't have that dimension. That makes me wonder if they are the right folks for the job.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    loudbang and foxdbl like this.
  4. foxdbl

foxdbl

Yeah, Tony is a great guy, but I hate to bother him with what should be a pretty easy question, if someone has a caliper and a block handy.

Last edited: May 26, 2019

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Surprised you can't find a shop with the spec's in a book.
    Any cam grinder for sure, Isky has to have it, you must have gotten the wrong department.

My engines are either assembled or buried, I'll see if I can dig a bare block out later.

6. foxdbl

foxdbl

Good Morning Paul,
    I also called Howard Cams and same story; 'we will need the lifter bore spacing in the block'. The tie bar length is the sticking point. I am going to call Isky back on Tuesday and talk to Ed, I am sure he or his son, Ron, will know the answer or where to find it. Just as an aside, the tech guy said Ed is doing fine.
    Thank You for your reply and help. Take Care and a Enjoyable Holiday Weekend to All, Tom

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Not to beat it to death but I don't quite understand how one could grind the lobes on a cam without knowing the spaces between..

I have two bare '54 blocks,
    I will try to get to them today.

8. foxdbl

foxdbl

Hello Again,
    I asked the tech rep that very question and his comment; 'lobe spacing varies's'???? I agree with you, cams should all be ground to the same lobe location and they should not be concerned with that anyway???, but should know the location/spacing of the lifter bores!!
    Have a Great Day and Again, Thank You, Tom

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Sounds like they want the exact measurements off of the block you’re going to install their parts in.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

dug one of the '54s out, lifter bore centers do vary but only by two thousandths.
    that may be due to being a used engine, or tolerance at machining.
    average is right at 1.870"
    that's using a simple digital caliper,
    measuring distance from wall to wall on any pair of bores, intake and exhaust
    and adding the diameter of one bore.

foxdbl and saltracer219 like this.
  11. foxdbl

foxdbl

Hello Paul,
    Guys like you are irreplaceable and a true asset to the hobby, Thank You for taking the trouble on the Holiday weekend, I definitely owe you one. I have attached the spec's of the NOS Norris solid roller cam I got on ebay. It should be just the ticket to run under the 'big' S.Co.T. blower in my original stick shift '54 '88 Htp push car. Most every time I have run across a roller cam it has been some wild stick that just wouldn't work for street use. Sort of a shame, as I don't wind the old girl up past 52/5300, getting too old to deal with pieces.
    Take Care, Stay Safe and Rockets Forever, Tom C.jpg

Last edited: May 26, 2019