Register now to get rid of these ads!

P 51 Mustang sighting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mule Farmer, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I dont think it was for the muskegon air show I haven heard anything about it yet this year. I always try to be out side the day before to try and see some cool old planes.

2. flynstone

flynstone

yea buddy ,i live close to the van nuys airport,every wenesday 5 sometimes 6 t/6 war birds fly over those guys have the real toys it so cool....maybe one day ill have one. when they fly over in formation its so cool and the sound is the best......there is also a couple of p51s that fly out of there you can tell the diff in sound right away they are polished with red tails ,,,,,,,,,,,i helped make the movie tuskeege air men i think those are the two we used with the red tails any how .....back to cars for now the flyn

3. Scott

Scott

4. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

FIFI is grounded right now but hopefully will be back up soon. I'm glad there's folks out there that keep the real airplanes around for us to enjoy. Van Nuys airport has some cool stuff that's hangared there all the time. Couple of resto shops there too. Did a short stint at jet center as a rep on a project there. Vic Edlebrock's turbo commander was there.

5. StuPendiss

StuPendiss
    from east coast

I immediately thought of Roush when I read the first post; it might have been one of his, as I know his whole empire is centered around Detroit.

A local guy who years ago sold a bunch of patents to GE for megabucks has a P51 he flies on occasion...out of his own hangar & airstrip on his (former) farm property. There is no sound like a big piston engine in a plane, that's for sure.:D

Speaking of cool sounding aircraft: I live on the north side of a county airport/ANG base, and we have regular C-130 activity...ona few occasions, a C-5 lumbers in over my neighborhood(we live in one of the flight lines). That is truly a sight to behold.

6. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Old planes are cool: so are old baby buggies, chain saws, houses, etc. This has exactly WHAT to do with "Traditional Rods & Customs??? (I didn't see any "OT" in the title...)
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

7. beauishere

beauishere

Really enjoyed reading this thread guys. Thanks.

8. Hijack of thread: did anyone see a P40 at Arlington today? Damned if one wasn't flying around over the strip when I showed up to get toolbox.

When it made landing approach, I could see the Kuomingtan (Nationalist Chinese) stars under wings and other Flying Tiger markings; plane was marked 71. Anyone know which pilot's # that was? I'd shit if it was Paul Greene's number - I've met the guy a bunch of times.

-bill

9. I was remodeling a house in 2001 and heard a sound that hit me...............something from a war movie................I ran outside and had a B-17 strafe us LOW....................what a day! THey were here for a show that week.

10. Last weeks posts gave a hint....you really are quite thick headed arent you?

11. double tap, sorry.

Jay.

12. squirrel

squirrel

one day when I was visitin my mom last year, I took a few pics of my stepfather's flight log.....I got chills reading it

Attached Files:

13. wow , that's really cool

just think...they got PAID (not much) to fly them..and now millionares and billionares pay big money to own them

while we are talking about airplanes....who on the hamb has actually flown an airplane? (ultralights don't count) are there any pilots on here?

i learned to fly when i was 17...had an instructor that was a crop duster that had the unique quality of crashing TWO airplanes in one day..so i have been flying for 36 years.

i don't fly as much as i would like anymore (way too expensive)..but my license is current..who else?

14. Chills? Chills and more. Sorry for the expletive but I spit my beer and said fuck when I read that............................thank you for posting and him for giving us our freedom.

15. evilgenius

evilgenius

gods, i love the pre-war army air force paint scheme. i used to have a 1:48 monogram model of the TBD Devastator in prewar scheme. socool.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That would make it, during the war for the rest of the world.... 1939-45.

17. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I thought P 51 Mustang would have given it away that it was off topic but I guess I was wrong.

I will help you out on the other question

Old war planes Fast , sleek , loud , lots of horse power.

Traditonal hot rods Fast , sleek , loud , lots of horse power.

do you get it now.

18. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I don't know if it was the same bird Mulefarmer saw but the sliver and blue mustang flew over my house yesterday some time after 5:00 pretty cool to see that on a saturday in Auburn Hills!

19. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I can tie this all together for anyone who thinks it's O/T.

On August 26th, we are having a big airshow at Mt. Comfort Airport here in Indianapolis. It's sponsored by Capital City Ford (and the owner has an extremely impressive car collection) and there will be a CAR show and P51's FLYING in addition to the Blue Angels and tons of vintage warbirds. I might even take my awesomely fast 152 up to hunt down a P51 (HA).

I'll make a post later but it's a great show and ALL of the money goes to Riley's Children's Hospital.

20. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I saw this one about 2;30 heading north could be the same one. I would think a P51 could go along way in 2 1/2 hours.

21. Ramblur

Ramblur

I'm next door to www.fantasyofflight.com . No hangar queens here,just
    about everything flies. A must see for any gearhead passing through the
    Disney area. Would also be a perfect venue for a HAMB style get together.
    P-51's,take your pick,he's got Rolls and Allison powered versions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had a Flying Tigers reunion and the engine his his two-place P-40 went
    sour about a week prior. Replacement arrived the afternoon before and
    after a thrash of HAMB proportions he was able take take up 5 of the
    original Flying Tigers, for their first P-40 stick time in over 60 years.
    Kermit with "Tex" Hill in the cockpit above.
    [​IMG]

Never a dull moment.

22. 8flat

8flat

I know how you feel MuleFarmer, a B-17 flew real low over my house (I used to live close to the airport) 2 years ago for a refueling stop on its way to an airshow. I love WWII aviation, but had never heard a round motor! I just about shit my pants. The wife and I roared up to the airport to see it. It sort of helped me connect with all the old WWII war stories my Grandpa used to tell me. Cool stuff.

23. Bugman

Bugman

The Yankee Lady B-17 just flew low over my house on it's way to the Sunday Rock county Airfest :D :D :D

24. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

So this is now a board about anything "fast, loud, & with lots of horsepower"? I guess we'll talk about funny cars, drag boats, formula 1 & Indy cars, hell even go-carts. A friend has a Yamaha Banshee (4-wheeler) that he put a Kawasaki 1000 engine on. Damn that thing will blow the doors off any rods here zero-to-whatever top-end it has....
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Pardon my driving; I'm reloading.

25. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Yeah: I was wedging in a 7' 4x4 a couple months back & it poped out & slamed me in the head. Musta' had 3 tons of pressure on it (my floor jack was maxed out lifting the beam I was supporting). Hurt like hell but didn't knock me out! ;^D
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

26. Roupe

Roupe

Here's a picture of a P-51 that flys out of Waukesha, WI. He did a low pass over a frozen runway on Lac La Belle at my dads ultralight fly-in in Oconomowoc, WI on Feb 12 2005. Look close in the background and you will see 2 Model T's on the ice. The 1927 coupe is owned by the same man for over 45 years.

27. Roupe

Roupe

Sorry here is the pic.

Attached Files:

28. Bugman

Bugman

Man, you weren't kidding about that being a low pass:eek:

29. Roupe

Roupe

I was luck to get that good a picture. I pannned it as he flew by and got lucky. Here's the pictures of the Model T's. P2120389s.JPG

P2120388s.JPG

30. VanHook

VanHook

I got my pilots liscense in 99, worked weekends at the local airport in exchange for flying lessons. I rent a 1946 piper J-3 cub for 46.00 an hour including gas! Probably the cheapest flying there is and its a blast! For all you warbird buffs come by the Tri-State Warbird Museum sometime and say hi.
    Chad
    www.tri-stsewarbirdmuseum.org

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.