Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 265 breather question?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Deescott, May 25, 2019.

1. Deescott

Deescott

My stock 265 leaks a little, has downdraft tube, that I’m sure is working, and oil fill breather. I was driving for a bit, parked it and noticed my oil fill breather was busted and open a bit. No oil leak. So I’m assuming I could use another breather. I know it’s a dumb question, but where is the best place for another breather? Would like to add some on valve covers. Any advice much appreciated, thank you, Daniel

2. squirrel

squirrel

maybe fix what it came with? It worked....

it's kind of difficult to imagine what "busted" looks like, though. PIctures?

and how tired is the engine? does it use oil?

olscrounger likes this.
  3. Deescott

Deescott

Yes, fixed that. When fixed it leaks a little. So seems I need more breathers because when breather was breathing more than it should by almost falling off it, no leak. It’s slightly tired, uses about a quart per 400 mile freeway trip. My question is- would adding breathers, possibly on valve covers, be beneficial?

4. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Is the little canister that is supposed to be in the lifter valley still there? I can't think of the right name for it right now. Haven't seen one in years.

5. e z i

e z i

6. squirrel

squirrel

Putting some new rings in the engine would probably be more beneficial, than adding more breathers.

I still don't know what you mean about the breather being "busted", or how you fixed it.

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

If it is using a quart in 400 miles the crankcase pressure is excessive and that is why you get oil drips at the breather. Extra breathers on the valve covers will not change anything except to give the oil vapor more places to condense and drip.

427 sleeper likes this.
  8. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah, I don't think more breathers is going to help either.

9. Retrofit a PCV. It don't hurt performance or fuel economy. I agree with Squirrel Its likely time for new piston rings.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  10. The stock valve seals arent much.Just O rings at the top of the stem.Putting positive seals on them should help.Dorman use to make a rubber seal set that covered the entire spring to keep oil out of the guides.

11. squirrel

squirrel

The original O ring seal doesn't seal the valve stem to the guide...it seals it to the retainer, and the metal cup that sits between the spring and the retainer. It's just a big umbrella seal, really.

12. Using oil thru the valve guides doesn't make blow by crankcase fumes any how. You could have perfect heads and if your engine for whatever reason doesn't have good ring seal it will have excessive blow by

Truckdoctor Andy and 427 sleeper like this.
  13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Time for a ring job.

Old wolf likes this.