Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Electric fuel pump pipe fitting confusion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pa G., May 24, 2019.

1. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

As I've posted before,I'm re plumbing my fuel system. The electric pump has 1/4-18 NPSF inlets and outlets. I'm running 3/8 fuel line. I have 1/4 male NPT TO 3/8 hose barb fittings for the pump. Is it ok to use 1/4 NPT fittings in the 1/4 NPSF ports of the fuel pump? I assume some type of sealer is needed and plan on using either Permatex aviation form a gasket or the fuel compatible teflon tape. Preferences on sealer? Does this all sound like a decent plan? The big question is that of the pipe thread compatability. Thanks much for any help.

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Glad I didn't post my original thoughts. A quick search yielded this result......

Both NPT and NPS have the same thread angle, shape, and pitch (threads per inch). However, NPT threads are tapered and NPS threads are straight (parallel). Both threads have a 60° included angle and have flat peaks and valleys. ... While NPT and NPS threads will engage, they do not seal properly with each other.

BTW, the bold in the quote is from the search, not me.

Lynn

catdad49 and David Gersic like this.
  3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Absolutely not.

You MUST use 1/4" NPS fittings on the pump.

If you attempt to put NPT fittings in those ports, you will likely break the pump housing, before you get them to seal.

The easiest way to get away from a 1/4" straight pipe thread is a GM transmission cooler line fitting. Those are 1/4" NPS male, and will fit the ports on the pump.

The trick is getting a pair that will go to 3/8" hose.

catdad49 likes this.
  4. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

Thank you both. I've been driving myself crazy researching this. Lynn,I saw the search results you quoted and found others saying the two would mate and seal with sealer. Lots of confusing contradictory stuff out there. Gimpy,as always you are a great source of info. Again,thank you both.

HemiDeuce and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2x: https://www.amazon.com/AN6-6AN-Female-Straight-Adapter-Black/dp/B07CBTS23Z
    One 2-pack: https://www.amazon.com/Russell-6405...omotive&sprefix=1/4+nps,automotive,193&sr=1-1

6. Casual 6

Casual 6
    from Great NW

Just curious as to who makes the electric pump that has the 1/4-18 NPSF tapped ports?

7. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

Thank you Mr. G. You never fail to amaze me. Casual 6, It's a Walbro pump. These ports are something of a p.i.t.a.

8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yankee ingenuity.

I too am from Connecticut.