Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '42 FORD HOOD CENTER SEAM TREATMENT?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by RICH B, Jul 26, 2017.

1. So I acquired a new '42 hood for my semi-dormant '47 Ford custom project. I'm wondering what the cool kids did with the center seam of the hood on their customs back in the day? It has bit of a bull-nose up to where the original chrome strip started. I think the pointier '42 hood will look better than the '47 hood with the wide strip down the middle. See, I even wrote that with no K's or Z's.
    P7260001 (Medium).JPG

2. Apparently customs are dead again; but any thoughts.

3. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Weld round stock in the seam and lead in a peak.

da34guy, jazz1 and RICH B like this.
  4. Takes more than a novice at home with a Mig gun to "not" make a ski ramp out of that hood when welding down the center. Advice is easy to come by, good advice not so easy. Back in the Day as you say, good Lead Slingers were in every body shop in town. The hood is already welded solid enough as is for Lead. In today's world with a good cleaning in the seam I bet you could get away with Body man in a Can. Would be a shame to Trash that by not knowing what your doing. It's not like scabbing on a patch panel and burying it under filler.

RICH B, stanlow69 and Jim Bouchard like this.

5. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

6. jazz1

jazz1

My hood was pretty tough along the back edge, had to chop some out and replace the tin. I welded the seam. Did not know if this would work but had a spare hood. 10 years later, no issues. I like the idea of peaking the hood. More skill level required.
    100_3103_zps34f25313.JPG