Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 315 poly 2brl to 4 brl conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retodd, Jan 17, 2016.

1. retodd

retodd

Hello guys,
    I am new here but I have been reading this forum for a couple of years. I have a 1958 dodge d100 with a 315 poly. I would like to put a 4 brl on it. I have the understanding that a 315 poly accepts 315/325 hemi intake manifolds. I also know the D500 had a 4 brrl set up. But when I search for all of these, all I can come up with are 2 x 4 manifolds. This is a farm truck, so having two carbs seems like a hassel. Especially since it's ran about once a month. Anyone have any advice on how to get a 4 brl manifold or do I have to cut the current 2 brl and make it a four?

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are 4 bbl factory (OEM) manifolds for the 315/325......I have two of them, one a complete and original 1957 325 Poly with 4 bbl. The other manifold I bought to use on a 315 truck hemi I have on hand. They are from passenger car applications. So, they do exist, though not plentiful. You might place a 'want' ad here on the HAMB and watch other forums and eBay.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  3. blackanblue

blackanblue

Bro in law bought a 64 fury with a 318 poly 2barrel searched and searched for a single 4 barrel intake all we could find was two 4's for a reasonal price no single 4,s except one for at a stupid price mayby regional,dont no, he found a complete 60'ooo mile poly with 4 barrel intake and carb, clean paint swap,for the price of just one single 4b intake.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Poly's under discussion here are a different series than the earlier version. The earlier engines, including Hemis, had a separate sheet metal valley cover. Beginning with '56 models, with some Polys, the manifold was also the valley cover. Two complete different animals in regard to the heads and manifolds.

Ray

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    tubman likes this.

5. R Pope

R Pope

Never a first-gen Hemi with the integral valley cover.

6. earlymopar

earlymopar

I have seen one for sale for a few months in the Seattle area Craigslist. Last time was less than a month ago. You may want to see if it's still for sale.

- EM

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not sure to whom your comment was directed. If to me, I am well aware of the configurations of Polys & Hemis, especially the '50s era engines. I have had them from the early '60s and currently have 4 Hemis and one Poly. Rereading my post, I can see it may have led to some confusion. I have edited it for (hopefully) improved clarity.

Ray

8. 73RR

73RR

As Ray suggest, start trolling the www.
    Bigger question is why do you need a 4bbl for a seldom run farm truck? If the 2bbl you have is in need of major work/repair/rebuild and you are reluctant to invest in it then look around for a 2bb from a 360-400 Mopar in the early 70's. They have more than adequate cfm for you 315 and can be adapted w/o major effort.
    I see them at swap meets in the $5 piles........

9. retodd

retodd

Thank you all for the replies. Found a few leads on craigslist. But nothing anyone is willing to sell. As to why I want a four barrel? Well this is a farm truck, but nothing on the farm is left stock haha. We have to make everything a little "better". As you said, the two barrel is probably adequate. However this is also a dump truck. There are various things where having some extra power/ air would help out. Like pulling stumps out of the ground or wot on ramp speeds. You know, things that are totally not needed.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  10. Colin Levasseur

Colin Levasseur
    from Phoenix

I got this of a 59 fury for $20 bucks. Also a non- cracked valve cover.

Attached Files:

Lars Wikstrom likes this.
  11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

If that manifold fits an engine you have, you got a good deal. It is not, however, applicable to the engine series the OP is dealing with.