Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need to have a conversation about spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by raven, May 21, 2019.

1. raven

raven

I’m thinking of using an old straight axle on a T bucket I am putting together. From looking at it, I would say it takes Anglia spindles. The kingpin is about 11/16” in diameter. I know I can ream it out to take a larger kingpin (like for Chevy spindles), but I am not sure about what differences I will run into as far as camber. I’ve got Ford and Chevy spindles available to use, since I don’t own any Anglia spindles, I thought I might try different spindles. Anyone know technical specs for Anglia, Ford (39-48), or Chevy (49) spindles? What trouble am I asking for trying to adapt different spindles to this axle?
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You are on the right track to be concerned about ‘king pin inclination’. It does vary among makes/models. However, depending on the amount of variation, it may be feasible to bend the end of the axle to move the pin boss a few degrees. That might be easier on a curved I beam than a tube straight axle.....not sure which type you have.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  3. squirrel

squirrel

see if you can get an accurate measurement of the kin pin inclination angle, then folks might be able to suggest a spindle with a compatible angle. Also the height of the end of the axle.

example....looking at specs for Chevys from 1941, the cars used a KPA of 4-3/4 degree, pickups were 7 degrees.

4. raven

raven

I’ll snap a couple of pictures tomorrow when I’m in the shop. For some reason, I can’t find my angle indicator...
    r

5. raven

raven

Oh and it’s a tube axle...
    r

6. raven

raven

[​IMG]
    Here’s what I’m talking about. I did a quickie measurement of the camber angle built into the axle. It appears to be 8 degrees. The castor looks to be around 20 degrees laid back. I can reduce that by how I mount the axle, so I’m not really worried about that.
    Anyone have some Anglia spindles to take some measurements from?
    Anyone? Anyone?
    Bueller?
    r

7. raven

raven

[​IMG]

Sitting in front of a stock Model A axle.
    r

8. raven

raven

Options?
    r

9. raven

raven

Oh, and there looked to be only about 1 degree difference between the two axles on the camber.
    r

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@raven Just as a clarification as to terminology......'King Pin Inclination' ...aka 'KPI', is a separate term from 'Camber'. Though they are sort of similar in that both are in reference to variation from perpendicular, they are not the same thing. A spindle could have 'Camber' designed into it's geometry, but have '0' KPI, or vice versa. The objective is to minimize or eliminate 'Scrub Radius' of the attached wheel/tire when steered either side of straight.

\ / ........the left side slanted line represents kpi......the right one, camber. they are visual representaion of the point at which the center of the tire at the ground intersects or is close to an extension of the king pin center line.

If they intersect, theoretically there is no scrub as the wheel/tire rotates around the axis of the king pin. Chrysler, I believe it was, called this "Center Point Steering" in their advertising. Minimal or no scrub radius reduces steering effort and bump steer tendencies caused by potholes and pavement irregularities.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    raven likes this.
  11. alchemy

alchemy

The Speedway Motors catalog used to have a diagram showing the differences and measurements of popular hot rod spindles. You've got to have a Speedway catalog somewhere. Maybe their website has it too?

12. raven

raven

I’ve been looking for my catalog... haven’t found it yet. I do know that they didn’t have any information on Anglia spindles in it.
    r

13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Think @racer-x is running Anglia spindles?

14. Don't early econoline have 11/16" king pins too. Econoline spindles were an option on a lot of tube axles.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Early ford king pin is 0.812,Econoline .739-.740, 49-54 Chevy .867.Couldnt find Anglia specs,but you can figure they will be much smaller than the others since English cars were 3/4 size of ours.

16. raven

raven

The kingpin diameter on the axle is about 11/16”. That translates to 0.6875. Anglia kingpins are 0.687, so it’s close. Most funny cars and dragsters used Anglia style spindles, the kingpin inclination, I’ve found, is either 7.5 degrees or 8. Old Ford spindles are 8. Ford kingpins are .8125 diameter. Maybe I can ream out the axle for Ford spindles.
    r

RICH B likes this.
  17. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

My friend seen your post I’m going to message you please get back to me

The members name is raven. The thread is titled: Need to have a conversation about spindles. 1st posted may 22nd, and last post was may 24th. Maybe post on his thread that your friend has a vintage chrome CAE axle for Chevy spindles that he would trade for his axle.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. raven

raven

I PM’d you back.
    r