Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Quiet and good flowing muffler, is it possible?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elcohaulic, May 23, 2019.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I have a 64 el Camino with a stock 454 and want to run mufflers that are on the quiet side and yet flow well. I have a full 2-1/2" mandrill exhaust now with Dynomax 17749 Turbo mufflers. No X or H pipe and tail pipes that go all the way to the bumper. It looks goofy with those crooked pipes in the back but it is very quiet, I'd like a little more sound.

-Should I try removing the tail pipes and let the exhaust come out of the mufflers? They are right in front of the rear end.. I could add a pair of short glass packs in front of the mufflers if too loud.

-Or should I get a pair of those long glass packs and end them at the rear end. I liked the Porter Steel packs but would need four of them..

Thoughts?

Thanks..

2. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Check out the Dynomax VT. Summit still has them and I have them going on 4 years with no problems.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  3. I have the same mufflers but a different offset on the outlet. They were real quiet for about 6 months and have since changed. They are louder and has a nice echo at idle. If your mufflers are newer than 6 months, leave them on and see if they change. I also run 2.5" out to the rear bumper.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:rolleyes: Yes, remove the tail pipes, they're useless and the exhaust dumping out under the car is better :rolleyes: :D
    Of course there is no chance that exhaust fumes will be sucked into the car from leaks in the trunk area or into the passenger compartment from other leaks in the absence of the trunk.
    And we all know that carbon monoxide is harmless right ? :rolleyes: :D

People can be so stupid.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    dirty old man likes this.

5. KenC

KenC

Note the red in the quotes.

lippy, chevy2tom, egads and 3 others like this.
  6. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

Not sure you want to dump exhaust gas under the body. I've seen severe corrosion (rust) to the undercarriage resulting from defective exhaust components. I guess that danger may be dependent on state of tune, but it's something to consider.

dirty old man likes this.
  7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like you have a "sounds alike", your typical big block powered (insert name Chevrolet here) car. Unless you are willing to install resinators in the system like the factory did on many models it will be noisey and sound like every other one. If you remember starting in 1965, Chevelle's even with the higher HP small blocks had them right before the back bumper to help silence them. They were the first things that came off...good luck

8. Porter mufflers are expensive and won't achieve what you're needing here. What about the Flowmaster 3 chambers?

mkebaird likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

put a blower on the engine, that'll liven it up.

Flowmasters with tailpipes sound decent, if you do it right...but in my old age, I kind of like the quiet exhaust thing. I would leave it alone.

mkebaird, Cosmo49, rmorris and 5 others like this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If 2 1/2" exhaust w/ turbo mufflers isn't loud enough for you, I'd go with a set of long tube headers, if you can fit them, and I'm pretty sure you can. That will give you a very nice sound, period correct for a mid 60's car.

Flowmasters will increase the volume of the exhaust note, but IMO the sound really doesn't fit with that era of car. If you stick Flowmasters on it, you might as well go all out and put on a set of 21" wheels w/ rubber band tires and complete the image.

Otherwise, try the headers, that should get you what you want.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

take a look at the Flowmaster 50 series big block & the 50 series Delta Flow mufflers

Black_Sheep likes this.
  12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Also note the rest that was conveniently left out and not in red :p:D

13. Dirk35

Dirk35

I put the Flowmaster Hushpower 2 on my 49. They are small and don't have the off-set ports so they fit well. I wanted it quiet and these are a little louder than I would have liked, but they aren't so loud that the exhaust drone is bothersome. It also helps that they go all the way the back of the truck and past the bumper.

For the Hushpower 2s from Flowmaster, I don't know that I necessarily recommend them for a 1920-40's vehicle, but for a late 1940s and newer I like them cause they flow well, don't take much space, and aren't too loud. Ill probably use something different on my '34 Ford Sedan.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  14. BigChief

BigChief

You need the biggest muffler case you can fit under the car to shut it up. Check out Walker Muffler's look up tool on their website. Lets you pick pipe diameter and configuration then spits back matches from the catalog. I've got a pair of 17197 Sound FX cans on my truck. Huge 28" long oval case keeps things toned down on the road but let's juuust enough burble through at idle to make you smile.

http://www.walkerexhaust.com/catalog/walker-exhaust-systems/e-catalog-lookup/17197

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

pitman and Elcohaulic like this.
  15. MERCURY 6+.jpg Flowmasters will increase the volume of the exhaust note, but IMO the sound really doesn't fit with that era of car. If you stick Flowmasters on it, you might as well go all out and put on a set of 21" wheels w/ rubber band tires and complete the image.

Otherwise, try the headers, that should get you what you want.[/QUOTE]
    Really? 21's huh? I have 2 1/2 pipes all the way back, and 3 chamber FL's....... Quiet as a mouse, NO rumble or resonating, and or drone..........not even at full peg= 6k rpm.........All I hear is the blower screaming.......
    to each their own........ Gotta taste that dinner for yourself, and not take your buddies word that it tasted like shit....

JeffB2 and GreenMonster48 like this.
  16. pitman

pitman

Something about timing exhaust pulses, so that a slightly more level output occurs.
    Seems/sounds as though this would be RPM dependent.

17. Run the exhaust thru the heater core
    That will quiet it down and keep you nice and warm.

Drill a 5/8 hole in the muffler, gives it a nice rumble

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    metlmunchr, Blues4U and Truck64 like this.
  18. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Walker 17197.jpg I took the whole system apart yesterday and forgot I had Meineke Muffler install two new center pipes a few years ago. We were all dressed up and far away so I couldn't fix it myself. Sure enough they didn't push one of the pipes all the way into the muffler and it was loose.. I tightened everything up and no more banging around but it's even more quiet lol..

I ordered a pair of 17197 Walker SoundFX mufflers. These mufflers are 4.25 X 9.75 X 36.5 They have a 28" body, they are big! I'm going to run them without tail pipes but with a pair of turn downs. I always liked the way those old 454 dump trucks sounded down the hill from me so this should sound similar..

I have to get a pair of down pipes swaged on one end so the pipes fit male to female all the way to the back...

Attached Files:

bobss396 likes this.
  19. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I have 2.5” Delta 50’s on my ‘58, mild 454 and full exhaust with a h-pipe. Nice sound without much drone in the cab, you can carry on a normal conversation at highway speeds.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  20. Dirk35

Dirk35

I also always think of the Flowmaster’s as the original Flowmaster 40 series which are super loud and very 1980s Muscle Car sounding. I had a set of those on a 91 Pontiac Firebird while I was in college and I had them taken off because they were so loud. The Hushpower 2 mufflers made by Flowmaster are much different. I have the 18” long ones on the 1949 Ford F1 PU.

Hushpower 2.jpg

This is a video of the ’49 Ford PU leaving the house. It gives you a good idea of the sound of them.

This is a Video of my 1934 Sedan and it has a muffler that looks like this picture, but Im not sure what brand they are. They are way louder than the Hushpower mufflers.

Muffler.jpg

Also, on my 34, the tailpipes end and have a small down-turn right in front of the rear axle. On my ’49, the tailpipes go up and over the axle and end at the back of the rear bumper. This is what I think makes the 34 sound louder because the sound echoes off the ground and under the car vs being set free into wide open world. I hate having them dump under the car on the '34 and plan to change them to exit out the back like the ’49 Pickup does.

A few people on here are saying the 17197 Walker SoundFX mufflers are a pretty good choice. When I re-do the exhaust on the '34, I might try a set of those. The Hushpower 2's were pretty expensive compared to how much the Walker's cost.

Hope this helps.

21. glass packs and ear plugs

Blues4U likes this.
  22. Just goes to show you everyone is different.
    I hated them hush master things.
    Really like the walker sound fx

23. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The Walker 18230 is the Mopar Hemi Muffler used in the Muscle Car era nice sound and runs about $26 from Rockauto's 1970 Dodge Charger 426 listing.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  24. Dirk35

Dirk35

I edited my 1st response to add this:

For the Hushpower 2s from Flowmaster, I don't know that I necessarily recommend them for a 1920-40's vehicle, but for a late 1940s and newer I like them cause they flow well, don't take much space, and aren't too loud. Ill probably use something different on my '34 Ford Sedan.

25. 51box

51box
    from MA

I used Porters on my current build and they are surprisingly quiet unless you hammer on it. The best part about them is no drone around town or the highway.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  26. manyolcars

manyolcars

My truck was like that when I got it and the noise was unbearable

27. No mufflers and straight pipes out the back is better for occupants than rear axle turn downs.

28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Really? 21's huh? I have 2 1/2 pipes all the way back, and 3 chamber FL's....... Quiet as a mouse, NO rumble or resonating, and or drone..........not even at full peg= 6k rpm.........All I hear is the blower screaming.......
    to each their own........ Gotta taste that dinner for yourself, and not take your buddies word that it tasted like shit....[/QUOTE]
    Well, sorry to offend you, it's just my opinion. Here's a video with the line of Flowmaster mufflers, check it out. First, none of them are what I would call "quiet as a mouse", but hey, that's subjective, so if that's quiet as a mouse to you, that's cool. Second, they all have that distinctive sound from a chambered type muffler. You hear it all the time at cruise nights or gathering. You can tell if right off. And yeah, it's often a newer Mustang or Camaro, but it's often a mid - late 60's muscle car, and yeah, they typically have the tall wheel/rubber band tire combo on them. Whether it's a good sound or not is subjective, you may like it. And I never said I disliked it. I just said it doesn't match up with a traditional styled car.

29. No offense taken. Everyone can agree to disagree. Period correct for my car= absolutely not.
    I'm just not a fan of the muffler's/hype that most on board SAY are the cat's meow....

30. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I had Porters on two different cars both Pontiacs, one 455 with a stock cam (068) sounded fantastic, another 455 with a lumpy 041 cam, ported 6X heads, sounded horrible, as a matter of fact I went through 6 or 7 different mufflers before finding something that sounded decent.