Register now to get rid of these ads!

1926 Model T Value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shawn Vasquez, May 13, 2019.

1. Shawn Vasquez

Shawn Vasquez

I have a 1926 Model T that I need to sell for my recently deceased dad so that my mom can have the money. I have no idea the value and am hoping someone can help. It has a new clutch and pressure plate but is missing the pin. It has a 1948 Mercury motor 12k series, dual poinf transmission 3 speed, 1948 R50 brake, and 8 volt battery. Sorry if those specs don't make sense. My dad was on his deathbed and had a lot of trouble relaying the information to me. We have a long time family friend that wants to buy it, but I have no idea how to price it. Any help to fairly price this would be greatly appreciated! 20190510_115450.jpg 20190510_115415.jpg 20190510_115437.jpg 20190510_122701.jpg 20190510_115234.jpg 20190510_115242.jpg 20190510_115207.jpg 20190510_115335.jpg 20190510_115356.jpg 20190510_122706.jpg 20190510_115318.jpg

lewk likes this.
  2. Shawn Vasquez

Shawn Vasquez

Last time it ran was about 20 - 25 years ago. It did not break down, my dad just stopped driving it. It does have a title, I just have not found it yet. I'm sure my mom can get another title if need be.

3. F&J

F&J

It's all just opinions on pricing a car that does not run, and sat so long. It's going to cost a lot of money to have somebody to get it to run which would be better to get a sale to the public market.

I see rusty water stains (no antifreeze) at the left cylinder head radiator hose, so if water froze, the block could be cracked, and if not, and sitting that long, the motor could be stuck.

Then selling to a long term friend adds difficulty to trying to figure a fair price to him.

In my opinion, motor condition unknown, and seeing the neglected condition of everything, I'd say 4000 would be the minimum to a close friend, and I feel that 6000 would be too much. (to a good friend)

I am not a fan of dealing with estate sales or even trying to give advice. Often leads to hard feelings from a person trying to help out by buying a neglected car from a widow, or heirs feeling disappointed on the reality of current sliding markets, or feeling like they are being taken advantage of.

Old-Soul, catdad49 and slv63 like this.

4. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Probably have better luck putting this on the main forum

5. pumpman

pumpman

I too would ask the mods to move this to the main forum. Are those wood pieces for the top?

6. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I would hope that a "long time family friend" would get first dibs and if he is a friend than ask what he will pay.

Just Gary likes this.
  7. Bingo.

Having sat so long I would imagine the engine is seized and the seals are shot, your dad's friend should have a idea of it's value. HRP

Just Gary likes this.
  8. 23ford

23ford

Having bought several cars along this line in this condition 5 to 6 thousand ..

9. alchemy

alchemy

I was gonna say $5,000 too.

10. Where is it? Big city or out in the country? That will affect its exposure to potential buyers and (since it doesn't run), hauling costs.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Shockingly, for the first time ever, I agree 100% with the HAMB value consensus. Around $5K, give or take depending on details, is a fair price for the car. It's a cool old hot rod with some neat period details that the right guy would love to have, and it's not too far gone to preserve, but it's also got a lot of storage wear on it and is going to need a lot of work. Would be a great car to go through all of the mechanical bits and clean and preserve the old paint and custom work.

The title is really, really important. If it doesn't go to your family friend, you either need to find it before you offer it for sale, or get a replacement through your mom. Don't advertise it without. And if you do offer it for sale, clean up all the junk around it first, see if the tires will pump up, ect. Even if all you can do is an afternoon of cleanup, don't show it in the condition you took these pictures in. It's a huge invitation for lowball offers.

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

If the friend backs out, find that title and drop me a line.

13. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I bought my avatar 1926 T coupe 4 years ago for $3700 with the original title. I thought I got a pretty good deal. No motor, no trans, no radiator or shell, No bumpers but otherwise complete. Needed several patch panels. Yours is by no means a stock T and in much better shape and with a flathead. I personally think your T may have more value than these guys are giving it. I wouldn't knock off a whole lot for a good friend. Surely he would understand that your Mom is not in a position to be giving away thousands of dollars. I think if you cleaned it up it would sell pretty quick. That is a piece of history. I'm thinking more along the lines of $7 or 8K. If you got that motor running..... more $$$. Good luck.

14. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'd say 5k tops, too many unknown variables, engine stuck? Run? Cracked?
    Trans too, then you get into unknowns such as brakes, original or later hydraulic? If hydraulic then new master cylinder, wheel cylinders, brake hoses etc.

And last but not least trying to figure out what all the different parts and pieces are.

15. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Get it out. Clean it up and post more pics here. I will bet all the low ball estimates will go up. I am mightily surprised that this forum is not all over this "barn find historical" hot rod.

16. You can't swap out the engine in a "T" and keep the original brakes

17. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

That is a cool looking T. Get it out and give it a bath. If you post your location you might find someone on here who would give you a hand in looking it over. For instance, if you were in Southwest Wyoming, I would be happy to help you see if the motor turns, maybe put a battery in it (carefully) and see if it might crank over.

18. 62rebel

62rebel

Don't take this the wrong way, but even though my Dad's interests didn't always turn out be my own, and vice versa, I was familiar with most everything he was into at least well enough to have a conversation with him about it. That T speaks of deep interest in modification and hand work. It even lends itself to some discussion of techniques and artistic impression. It doesn't seem to be badly thought out or executed. Maybe it DOES have some provenance within the HAMB group that hasn't made itself evident. I'm sorry about your Dad's passing.