Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 ford trunk lid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BURN OUT BOB, May 23, 2019.

1. Gang ,
    I have a 34 roadster Gibbons fiberglass body. Does anybody have a guess as to the weight. All I can say is it is one heavy sumbitch. I want to a couple of gas struts to help lifting it when opening.
    T I A;
    BurnOutBob 34 roadster top down.jpg

2. Rckt98

Rckt98

Bob I had the same issue trying to get gas struts to work for my Chev coupe. They were either too soft and wouldn't assist opening or too stiff when up and you couldn't close it. I found a guy that services struts from his van, he called to home and sorted it out (he can increase or decrease the pressure). I don't know if you have someone like that locally but it was the way to do it.

3. Bob. If you can't come up with a fix, how bout one of those fancy screw jack openers. You could be a custom. My 32 lid is a heavy bitch also.

4. Hi LLOYD:
    I have a electric lift on my 32 from an Olds window. Works great. The 32 is 12V & the 34 is 6V besides I don't want electric. I have two trunk lid supports from 38-40 (not sure which year) that have a spring that supposed to help.
    There is an outfit in Carlsbad ,Ca. that sells struts for a really reasonable price. I bought two for the hood on my truck & they work great. The company info is:
    Lift Supports Depot.com. Customer service:
    [email protected]

5. Hi Rckt98
    Nothing around here that I could find.

6. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Check out McMaster. They have struts or different lengths and I believe you can get them in 10lb increments.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yo Bob! I have these 2 little struts on my deck lid and they do a remarkable job. My lid is steel but I bet yours is just as heavy.
    upload_2019-5-24_9-30-50.png

8. I don't have a problem getting one or two I just need to know what a trunk lid weighs.

9. Hi Billy;
    Yeah I just bought two about that size for my ford truck hood . I might have to try a bit longer than what the truck takes.
    You behaving yo self in dat ting? I'm still trying to get past the breakin on mine. Seems to run better every time I drive it.

10. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The weather wont stay dry enough for me to get play much. I still have less than 200 miles on it! Supposed to be nice all weekend so seat time here I come.